It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to shoot 6,000 kangaroos

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I have no idea on the US or Japan, but i know its in my local supermarket in Brussels and have ate it in Holland. I have read that Russia had some too. Try an Australian themed pub that serves meals, that would be a good place to look for it.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
The contraceptive will work, when the numbers are down. And best of all, it'll create some jobs, because someone has to give the roo's the contraceptive.

Maybe we can install condom vending machines in the bush and the roos can "self-regulate" the population!!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

this happens every once in awhile, i usually find the peoples reaction Predictable and hilarious

the issue here really is this, that kangaroos in Aus have grown into vast numbers due to several reasons, and that in certain areas (like on a military base) their numbers would be "thinned" from time to time

this is not actually harmful to the Species of animal, because their numbers were growing to such sizes that food was becoming scarce and famine and disease were beginning to take hold within their ranks

what these Aussies are doing is actually TRUE CONSERVATIONISM by keeping the population in check - same goes with any ecosystem

lets not even get into the frog or mice plagues

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
The fact of the matter is that roo's as well as rabbits there have been a problem since they populated Australia. Even the Aboriginals there know this.

If you substituted 'roos and rabbits' with people you might be onto something....even the Aborigines know this!

Kangaroos are native to Australia so I'm not entirely sure what you mean about them 'being a problem since they populated Australia.

Typical humans.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I have seen some ignorant people in this thread. For anyone that does not live in Australia, the Kangaroo has reached plague proportions in some area's of our country forcing either their culling or the destruction of livestock and habitat.

Anyone who says "Why can't they just catch them and release them" has obviously never come face-to-face with a Big Red. Well I have and I can tell you for absolute certainty that they have the ability to kill a man where he stands.

Please don't be so ignorant people.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Please don't comment on what you have no idea about - it makes you look stupid. you clearly are simply reacting without any knowledge or research which highlights you as uninformed reactionary poster.

Killing the kangaroos has to be done - fact.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I want in. I've always wanted to go to the Land Of Oz, now I know why.
Youse are stil allowed "certain" types of firearms, right?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
If animals where the dominant species do you think they would care if some other animals wanted to kill some humans off?
I dont they would, they would probably kill all of us off without a single thought of guilt. That is just my opinion though.

What really makes me angry though is people who care more about animals than they do people. Like those commercial that show the sad kitties an puppies and ask you to donate money, wheres the commercials for the homeless people,besides the ones for the little kids in third world countries.

Rant mode(off)

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This is pretty much like the hunt of the seals here in Canada. This specy is becoming a nuisance for years, there are millions of them and they eat 25 millions tons of fish every year.

EU banned all products made from the hunt of seals because people don't like how they being killed, I agree it is disgusting but this is what you must do to prevent ecological catastrophe sometimes.

The only predator they have is the polar bear which is dying also because of the melt of the pole. 6,000 roos is a small number and like some people already said, it is a good way to prevent diseases and infections if they die from starvation.

Did you know that over 4,000 human beings dies every days in the world?

[edit on 8-5-2009 by sc4venger]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I meant the people that where sent or immigrated to Australia. I know about the roo problem because I have been there twice. I know about the other problems of wild life there because I have friends that I correspond with that live in the bush country.
Zindo

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

dude, as mentioned
people need to get off their behinds
sit in a conference room and figure it out
Are you for real. We can't even save people starving to death and here I see people all over this forum screaming for Kangaroo Justice. Please. Get a grip people. Last Year in my state alone 63,000 dogs and cats were put down.
Where was the thread about that. Where were the calls for think tanks and people getting motivated.
Every day 40 to 100 hundred species of plants and animals become extinct as on averge 25 hectares of forest and habitat are lost. Daily.
Where is the thread about that. Where is the outrage.

To those of you who self rightously spout outrage over this culling, it is spoon feed to you by a MSM article. It is there to cause outrage, it pushed topical and emotive buttons about an animal that is Iconic of Australia. It has worked. Now go back to the media and look for the next bit of manufactured outrage to spew onto the forums. Your Soma is waiting.

Kangaroos are slaughtered to control population throughout Australia, but government agencies have been reluctant to kill the beloved national symbol around Canberra in the past 20 years because of public outcry.
From the OP's link.
Media. See button. Push button.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by atlasastro]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
6,000? That's it? We kill over a half a million deer in Wisconsin alone every year.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Big deal.

We've killed far more kangaroos than this before. This happens all the time.

Let me point it as blunt as I can.

THEY ARE A PEST.

Think of them as rabbits, or deer. Their numbers are too high and need to be reduced.

Us Aussies are the only nation in the world to eat the animal's on our nation's Crest... and we are pretty damn proud of it.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I don't see what the fuss is either.

Culling is a humane and normal process that is better for the kangaroos if you were to consider the consequences of leaving them to starve as a result of reaching plague proportions.

I also hope all the do-gooders saying it is an outrage culling these kangaroos don't eat any kind of meat, including fish. There could also be an argument that even vegetables are living things. It is hyprocritical to turn a blind eye to the mass slaughter of chickens, sheep and cows in their millions (as well as the mass, global slaughter and culling of vegetables), but then get on a soap-box over a few thousand kangaroos.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by cloudbreak]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Why is this in alternative news and not general news?

Anyway why kick up a stink over a roo cull? No country exists in harmony with animals.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I am a bleeding heart - cannot even stand duck shooting.

I feel for those kangas, but what can you do? This world is cruel.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I am a bleeding heart - cannot even stand duck shooting.

I feel for those kangas, but what can you do? This world is cruel.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Ok Iam an Aussie, this is thec facts , growing Urban populations , means trees and grasslands wiped out for housing.

Kangaroos are often expelled from their decades dwelled bush within a month.

They panic or try to adapt either way they are doomed.

Just like koala bears they are masacred one way or another.

Any lying cad who says they are an aussie and tells you they are pests is a a faker.

Any one born here and raised in the bush will tell you . humans take over their food zone.

Japanese tourists come here to gawp at kangas and koalas and kookas ect ectect, never knowing.

Eat Kanga steaks and go mmm , but they are probably human steaks anyway.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Conspire

I don't think that people deserve to live at the expense iof animals.

But obviously, I am in the minority.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Why don't they give the kangaroos a fighting chance, at least? Strap a pair of boxing gloves on them and have them duke it out with the hunters. Kangaroo wins every time, I've seen it.

But yeah, remember when Australia unwittingly introduced rabbits into its environment, and they spread like wildfire? They had to consider releasing a deadly virus that had a small chance of mutating and crossing species. I say let nature take its course, but that's me.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join