It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to shoot 6,000 kangaroos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

quite right, but what does it matter, in the end it is the Government that decides and does it.

happens every few years indeed, and a lot of them go into dog food, they taste bad.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
here's an idea
dart them with a sleeping dart
and ship them to one of the zillions of unhabitated islands on earth

whatever happens while they are there, let nature take it's course

So to keep these roos alive, you propose to send them to islands humans don't live on.

What about the animals who live on them who's food and habitat these roos will now own, as they will most likely be bigger.

What happens in 10 years when they start dying of starvation due to overpopulation?

Do we ship them to Mars this time?

What about after that?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by matsplat

I'm starting to get the impression that Aussies really are backward All that space and they can't share it - miserable mothers

You forget that in " all that space", not all of it is liveable or arable. Most of it isnt. Add to that the drought we're having as well and it's a recipe for diaster. Most of the kangaroos on the land in question, from what I have read , are starving because they're grazed the land down. There isnt any food.

I dont necessarily agree with the cull , not do I like the idea of the cull. But in all honesty I cant see another avenue at this point.

As for your BBQ comment I doubt it. Wild kangaroo can harbour diseases and parasites that arent killed by cooking.
Diseases in Kangaroo meat

[edit on 8-5-2009 by mulberryblueshimmer]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It wasn't something that I had thought up in just 10 seconds. Believe it or not, the issue of roo culling has been around for many, many years and each time the issue is brought up again the same solutions and their alternatives are presented, and each time (after a little bit longer than a 10 second brain-storm) culling is the best option.

We're not some bloodthirsty savages down here that are doing it just for fun. It is genuinely in an effort to save the environment and the habitats of other Australian wildlife.

We're not wiping out a species, but reducing dangerously high numbers. Your idea of moving them to another place is just not going to work. It's a band-aid solution and will only expand the problem.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Toy_soldier]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamspark
Australia has 60 million kangaroos, the number has tripled since 1980, too many of one species could be a problem, sometimes.

In contrast, the fate of Canada seals is much more miserable. 80% of them vanished.

Check this article: slaughter at sunrise.
www.hsus.org...

There are also many youtube videos about the cruel seal killing.

I hate to see mis-information. The Canadian seal population has also tripled since the '70's. There is no "vanishing"....it's sitting comfortably at approx 5.6 mil and I expect will grow due to loss of natural predators, such as the polar bear.

Wiki on seals

Canadian Dept of Fisheries and Oceans

As for the OP.....I can't see any other alternative. If the population had been kept in check to begin with, like done for other animal populations world wide, ...this problem wouldn't exist. It's like a plague of locust destroying the land. Where's the crying for the millions of cattle killed every year?

If your a vegan and believe no animals should be killed....I respect your opinion, but if your not....you have no platform to stand on.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toy_soldier
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It wasn't something that I had thought up in just 10 seconds. Believe it or not, the issue of roo culling has been around for many, many years and each time the issue is brought up again the same solutions and their alternatives are presented, and each time (after a little bit longer than a 10 second brain-storm) culling is the best option.

We're not some bloodthirsty savages down here that are doing it just for fun. It is genuinely in an effort to save the environment and the habitats of other Australian wildlife.

We're not wiping out a species, but reducing dangerously high numbers. Your idea of moving them to another place is just not going to work. It's a band-aid solution and will only expand the problem.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Toy_soldier]

+1 To that.

For some reason many in this thread don't actually understand the problem we have here.
If your going to move 6000 kangaroos then where are you going to put them? Its not like you can move them to another part of Australia as there are already so many of them.
You can't move them to another country, they need somewhere where they already live so the impact on the environment is less.
You can't move them onto farm land as they destroy the environment.

Aside from this they are already starving because of the lack of food for them to eat.
When it comes down to it, its between the 6000 kangaroos of an already over sized population and between the farmers of this land being able to feed their animals which brings us food which people buy, this keeps our economy going and our farmers with a job. On that note, does anyone know the suicide rate of farmers in Australia?
There are more farmers killing themselves over the drought then people dieing in car crashes in this country.
The large population Kangaroos contributes to this suicide rate because of the amount of them roaming the countryside eating away at the food which the other animals of this land need to survive.

And for some odd reason some of the people in this thread can't see the full extent of the issue that we have here.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Sorry bro but your argument is void

Actually yours is completely ridiculous. You have shown you know nothing about AUstralia and especially the kangaroos overpopulation.

People can't understand anything that is not in their country?
what kind of comment is that?

Have you ever been here, because you posts reek of ignorance. You don't understand Australia and it's wildlife.

So nobody here should comment about Iraq, China, Israel, Iran???????
What kind of thinking is that?

If your comments are as uninformed about those countries as the ones you're posted here, then yes you shouldn't comment about those countries.

What is right remains right regardless of location.
Come on man, what is this?

The real world.

You should know the reason kangaroos are so numerous is becuase since land has been cleared over the last 200 years forming grasslands, the kangaroo population has exploded beyond what the land can sustain. Simple as that.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I'm 100% positive that there's a better solution, if I wasn't at work I would myself think of one.

Well you seem to have more than enough time to post uniformed comments about this subject. What more is there to say

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Here's the kicker:

Kangaroos are slaughtered to control population throughout Australia, but government agencies have been reluctant to kill the beloved national symbol around Canberra in the past 20 years because of public outcry.

Kill off a couple hundred every couple of years and no one cares.

Leave them alone for 20 years you get 6,000 out of 9,000 culled and everyone is up in arms.

People do care that they kill off a couple of hundred every couple of years. When it makes the news like this, more people become aware that's all. There are still lots of people out there who are concerned about it what's been happening in the past, and I'm one of them.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I don't know much about kangaroos, but culling is an excellent method of controlling populations when they begin to get out of control. The fact of the matter is, it's much easier to shoot 6000 'roos than it is to transport them to some other locale.

If there's no risk to the species from the culling, then it's frankly silly to protest it. Bleeding hearts with nothing better to do with their time, and of course the media is only too willing to pander to them.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It's similar to why people in the U.S. are allowed to hunt deer. The population gets too large and they do not have enough to eat. Large populations without enough to eat are more susceptible to disease. So, between disease and starvation, more animals would die than are being culled.

People ask about sending them to zoos. Well, there are many captive- bred kangaroos in zoo populations. Wild caught are not really needed. Anyone with the facilties to properly care for a captive kangaroo already has them.

I am not too familiar with the ecology of Australia. Anyone know what the natural predators of kangaroo are? Is it the dingo, primarily? Aren't they being or haven't they been reduced in population? Take away an animals predator and that will lead to overpopulation. That is what happened in the U.S. with deer.

Moving them somehwere other than their native habitat is not a good idea. Introduced species wreck havoc on the natives and can ruin an ecosystem.

I hate seeing all these kangaroo shot, just like most anyone else. yet, I understand the reason.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Thats just the problem, there are virtually no predators of the Kangaroo they have a free reign hence the problem, except man and maybe the dingo but even then dingo numbers are tiny compared to the roo.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well. My textbook answer is this: Once the population is brought down to a number that the system can support, there should be an effort to control their reproduction.

edit to add: after reading my post, I thought it sounded like some evil illuminati plot. honest, i'm on YOUR side.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by tamusan]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I dont see what the big deal here is?

I take part in authorised culls twice a year.....if you saw the damage that mobs of kangaroos do to farm properties you'd think twice too.

Not only that, but their numbers swell up even when there isnt enough to go around to feed them. They invade farm properties and feed on the food that is there for cattle and sheep. its for their own good that their numbers are cut down.

Fortunately we can take some meat for personal consumption which tastes an absolute treat when prepared properly.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I read many posts back that kangaroo had parasites and disease that could not be cooked out? So, that wasn't true?
If I come down there, am I able to try kangaroo?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

There has been talk about Kangaroo Contraceptive in the past.

National Geographic

If that is a viable option then it should help in the long run, unfortunately it doesn't deal with the great numbers of roo's we have already though.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

You can have as much of it as you like, no parasites from commercial grade Kangaroo. Really they would not be able to sell it or export it if it was not safe, its all myth.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
I read many posts back that kangaroo had parasites and disease that could not be cooked out? So, that wasn't true?
If I come down there, am I able to try kangaroo?

Absolutely! It is delicious. I have mine medium rare with beer-battered chips, it really is one of my favourite meals. I don't get to have it too often though, I don't cook too much and I don't see it too often on the menu at pubs or restaurants.

If you're ever in Aus then I highly reccommend you try some if you get a chance.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The only solution is to cull them, until the population becomes sustainable.
The contraceptive will work, when the numbers are down. And best of all, it'll create some jobs, because someone has to give the roo's the contraceptive.

Where does kangaroo meat get exported to? I have never seen it in the U.S. or Japan.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Kangaroos meat is one of the most nutritious meats in the world....almost no fat in it at all and high in iron......

they are not that good when over cooked like steak is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join