It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist says volcanic eruption in Congo imminent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

By Eddy Isango, Associated Press
KINSHASA, Congo — Scientists found evidence of intense volcanic activity — including tremors, pools of lava and plumes of smoke — at two volcanoes near a major city in eastern Congo, and said some residents had fled for fear of an eruption.
The volcanoes in the central African nation could be about to erupt, threatening Goma, which has a population of more than half a million people, scientists said Thursday. They made their observations on visits to the two volcanic peaks of Nyiragongo and Nyamulagira.

"The eruption could be tomorrow, or the day after — or at any other time," said Dieudonne Wafula, the head of Goma's Volcanological Observatory.

The Nyiragongo crater is only 11 miles (18 kilometers) north of Lake Kivu, where Goma is located. Wafula estimates that 1.3 million people are threatened by the two volcanoes, including the residents of Goma, the villages surrounding it and the inhabitants of Gisenyi, located across the Rwandan border.

www.usatoday.com...

Another volcano which seems to be about to blow...but hey, let's dismiss this because some say this is not happening....

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Hey there , ElectricUniverse .

1.3 million people could be effected - ..... that would be a headache for a modern western government , i can only imagine what a nightmare for Emergency planning that would be in Eastern Congo.

The mention of the unique fast flowing lava , jarred my memory .
Questioningall did a thread on it a few weeks back ..
Nyiragongo

[edit on 8-5-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
"The eruption could be tomorrow, or the day after — or at any other time," said Dieudonne Wafula, the head of Goma's Volcanological Observatory.

That is quite possible the vaugest answer I have ever seen. And now for the weather, it may rain, it may not. back to you in the news room Phil.
The news is bad, or it could be good. Depends on what you like.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Seems like another volcano is about to blow.
Good to know that some of the locals evacuated before it was too late. I wonder if this is another one of those about-to-blows that never does blow. I guess we shall see.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Yes it would.
Lets hope people are getting ready for these eruptions.

Do we have any members in Congo, or close by that can tell us first had what is happening over there?

new topics

top topics

join