It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tolerance a two way street?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Interesting news clip on harrassment,victimisation and discrimination of non- theists in modern day America.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Towards the end, the guy spells it out. People associate atheists with the ones who cause problems with lawsuits to make everyone else do that they want.
Same thing with these people at the beginning. Whey wrote a letter to the school board. Why did they do that? Because they wanted everyone else to stop what they were doing, to suite them. That would directly connect them, in people's minds, with these famous law suits that have destroyed the American culture.
If you want people to tolerate you, do not sue them to make them change. If you are so creaped out by the idea of your children reading the Bible in school, home-school them and read Darwin to them.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Classic cult mentality.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
What I find so interesting is this whole tolerance thing. I've been told many times that I need to be more tolerant because I believe scripture -- that there is right and wrong. Does this mean I condemn those who "sin"? Then I condemn myself. It's something rather strange -- many Christians raged against Brokeback Mountain because it depicted homosexuality. Yet, how many movies centered around affairs are protested by the same folks?

I guess the big question is, what is tolerance? Is tolerance acceptance of everyone? What do you think of Nazis? Pedophiles? Assassins?

Now don't make any mistake, I'm not saying atheism is akin to the same thing, but I'm asking where does tolerance end for you. Why? What makes a pedophile worse than a coc aine addict? If you say coc aine is a victimless crime, tell that to folks in Colombia, where many children are now orphans living on the street selling themselves into prostitution to afford to eat. What's the difference?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I think our country has a victim complex as everyone wants to be a victim of discrimination. I am a Pagan, and have had tense discussions about it with my family. I just do not discuss it anymore.

I also wonder why atheists should care whether or not people say a prayer in school or not? Why do they make such a big deal about Nativity scenes at town halls? If they are atheist, they should not care what people in the town think or believe in.

The thing is an atheist can change their mind, but a person of color cannot change their skin color. That is why atheists and others do not get much sympathy.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I also wanted to add a little incident that happened a while back:

I was visiting my family and friends at home and had brought a couple of troubled teen boys with me. The boys had been in trouble with the law, and were not angels. One of the boys had been to Bible class and was a Believer in Jesus. He wanted to become a better person, and chose to go that route.

While I was with some other friends, the boy had made a statement about finding Jesus. While I smiled and acknowledged it, one of the friends (who was an atheist) went on a tirade about why people should "believe in that crap". The boy looked at him dumbfounded as the rant continued. I took the boy and left the place where the friends were after trying to get him to see that it was changing someone's life.

The above is why many atheists are not liked.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

That's a shame that you had to witness that kind of attitude first hand. It's not the first time that people have accused me of satanism, or have been open with their distaste for my spiritual beliefs, and it has come from all kinds of people, not just Christians or atheists, but other pagans, and "new age" people. It seems anyone who is convinced of their own superiority of spiritual wisdom is capable of this kind of discrimination.

It's also a shame that the video cut off just when they were starting to talk about their rights...after the Christian guy.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
reply to post by jmdewey60

Classic cult mentality.

did you even read his post? your reply makes no sense.

tolerance ≠ acceptance.
tolerance ≠ agreement.

just because a christian doesnt agree with the way you do or do not live your life doesnt not mean that they are intolerant.

just because a christian decides to do something unchristian like and tries to pass laws that dictate nonchristian lives, doesnt mean they represent all christians.

these statements apply to atheists too.

i seriously think you need to stop generalizing karl

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
I seriously think you need to stop generalizing karl

Miriam whatever makes you think I generalize?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed21185fd0ce.jpg[/atsimg]

On a serious note I think this cartoon makes a very good point:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49954a5d2b4c.jpg[/atsimg]

Link:
files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
It seems anyone who is convinced of their own superiority of spiritual wisdom is capable of this kind of discrimination.

Caitlinfae -maybe it has more to do with 'deep seated insecurity' rather than anything else.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

karl:

I will be the first to stand against this kind if injustice. This is not right and not what my God would expect me to behave. I'm so sorry for those people.

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

Grandma - amen to that and I'm sure many people feel the same way.
Cheers.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
If I go on a picnic but hate ants do I first seek to exterminate all the ants (all bugs) before I can enjoy an ant free picnic or do I go to the picnic knowing full well that I must "tolerate" them?

People seem to have the wrong view of "tolerate". If I happen to be in downtown Long Beach one afternoon with my family and there is a Gay Pride parade should I just put up with all of it and "tolerate" their antics or should we just up and leave?

If we leave many might then say, "Ahh, what's the matter you Christians can't "tolerate" homosexuals? Are you homophobic?" The better question is, why can't they "tolerate" our disgust with it all?

If we stay and watch others might say, "How can you Christians stay there are tolerate such lewd acts?"

Could it be that each side or group wants "tolerate" to be on their side, to make them look like the ones that are NOT being tolerated? People have tolerate and intolerant mixed up.

new topics

top topics

join