It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney: Moderate GOP would be 'mistake'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

An extremist? You seriously believe that crap?

So now if you're not a moderate you're an extremist, according to you, HH?

I thought a moderate was someone who believed in both left and right policies. I don't Dick Cheney as an extremist, just a hard core Republican because he ascribes to no liberal beliefs. And I guess according to you, that makes him an extremist, huh?

And here I thought an extremist was someone like the KKK or neo-nazis or Black Panthers. Do you seriously expect people to believe the crap your dishing out? Anyone with half a brain on ATS realizes that statements like the one you made are completely false and driven by nothing more than hate for the previous administration.

Cheney is saying he doesn't believe the propaganda that the left is trying to spoon feed America right now when they say that in order for the GOP to survive it needs to accept moderate ideals. He says that's BS and I agree with him. I say the GOP needs to get back to its roots and not compromise its principals for anyone, not even your blessed messiah of a president. And that belief, sir, no more makes me an extremist than it does Dick Cheney.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Sounds to me like a lot of the people posting on this web site that they can't be part of the GOP anymore should re-register to vote as libertarians. They represent people who believe in limited government and protecting the liberties of the people.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I am disappointed. A truly moderate, centre-right Republican party would easily defeat a ever creeping left wing Democrats. The notion of a collective economy is a failed economic theory - even the Chinese are moving into privatisation.

Republicans really should forget the gays and immigrants for five minutes, recognise marriage through the tax system instead of the Constitution. Introduction of a point-system immigration system (Australian/Canadian style system)

But, alas, it seems the Republicans will have to learn the hard way. Twelve years out of power?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
And the founders never believed in left-right. In their time, it was tyranny-anarchy and on which side the government was more. The less control: more towards anarchy, the more control, more towards tyranny.

I can tell you we are more near TYRANNY now.

Both ends means no freedom because in tyranny you have no freedom, you're a slave, and in anarchy you have no freedom because there's no laws to protect freedom.

So get your facts straight. There's no left and right, only Liberty VS Tyranny (tyranny from the government (tyranny) or tyranny from the lawlessness (anarchy))

We are heading towards 100% tyranny right now. Now we are about 90% tyranny.

Any freedom loving person would like to go to 50% tyranny-50% anarchy... and libertarians more like 10% tyranny, 90% anarchy. Real republicans more like 20% tyranny-80% anarchy. Democrats more like 50% tyranny-50% anarchy.

But now, it's both parties forcing us into 90% tyranny-10% anarchy and the tyranny ratio is increasing.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The Republican party is as dead as disco because of Cheney, Rove, and the rest of that mob. It really is amazing Cheney has any kind of credibility (not to mention that he's even still alive and hasn't been lynched yet) The Bush Administration destroyed this country as well as the Republican party and it's going to take at least a generation to rebuild it. I think Cheney and the rest his treason committing cohorts need to just shut the # up and disappear.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

Congratulations! You have been brainwashed by the major media.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The Cheneys and Rush Limbaughs are going to chase everyone out of the party that doesn't keep to their idea of ideological purity, and then they're going to blame the "damned libruhl media" when they can't get a candidate elected dogcatcher in this country for a dozen years...

It's sad, the self destruction of the GOP will leave the US without an effective opposition party, but hardcore right-wingers are an ever-dwindling cult.

Hopefully the Libertarians will step up to the plate, lack of an opposition party is not good for our democratic system.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
The Bush Administration destroyed this country as well as the Republican party and it's going to take at least a generation to rebuild it.

Destroyed this country? Not hardly. And what is the current administration doing that's so much better than what Bush did?

Are the troops home? No.

Are we still in Iraq? Yes.

Are we in Afghanistan? Yes.

Has our presence in Afghanistan increased? Yes.

Is Guantanamo closed? No.

Is the economy any better than when Bush was in office? NO. The economy was doing fine until years of screwing with the banks and regulators finally took their toll. That screwing around with the banks and such began with the Clinton administration. And that HAS been proven.

Is the price of gas on its way back up? Yes! Currently at $2.05 national average and climbing. You really think Obama has any power to stop that?

Has the national deficit gone down? NO! In fact Obama stuck taxpayers with trillions (WITH A "T") in extra spending. He pushed to give that money to Chrysler - who isn't going to pay that money back, and he's pushing to give it to GM. GM will most likely file for bankruptcy next month. And if that weren't bad enough, now that the fed has loaned out this money, Obama has taken it upon himself to start saying which CEOs can come and go. Remember how he fired Wagoner? The government should NEVER have that kind of power to pick and choose who stays and who goes in a private company.

Constitutional Rights upheld? Not hardly! How about the recent move to limit defendants' rights just so they could close a loophole? How about forcing youth to spend time "volunteering". And what about the Patriot Act that you libs keep beating the Republicans with - you do know that Obama voted in favor of the Patriot Act's second incarnation, don't you? Do you really think he's going to give up that power in the name of what's right?

"Destroyed our country" ... I say you are SERIOUSLY deluded, if not brainwashed. The real destruction of our country is going on RIGHT NOW, courtesy of the man YOU and the other Obama supporters helped put into power, along with the filibuster-proof Democratic-controlled Congress.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

I disagree with your assessment of where the parties stand.

The country as a whole has moved extremely far right in the past 40-50 years. The Democrats, until recently on the center-right, have moved to the center in the Obama administration. On some issues it may be center-left at most.

The "moderates" are farther right, and Bush, Cheney, Rush and the neocons are off the chart extreme.

There was once a left in this country but that was many years ago.

IMO the "moderate" Republicans (actually the far right) still have the capability to work productively with the center, although thus far they have refused to do so. They potentially have a lot of value to contribute.

I would like to see an actual left return to our country, but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime.

Republicans don't need to worry. There will be a right for a long time to come.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

There was once a left in this country but that was many years ago.

Quite true.

By global standards, there is no "left" in this country, only a moderate right and an extremist right.

I don't think Americans realize the degree to which this is true.

[edit on 5/9/09 by xmotex]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

It's not just monsters like the KKK or Nazis who are extremists...

An Ascetic would also be an extremist.

The problem is that extremism is blind because it is characterized by the assumption that a particular set of beliefs is always right, regardless of changes in the situation.

This is why the GOP is falling apart currently. Simply because the likes of Cheney wish to maintain an extremist viewpoint as opposed to "becoming moderate".

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Any time you answer a yes or no question, you are forced to become an extremist. Yes or no are polar opposites and thus, for a moderate, the only answer is not to have an answer. I chose to have an answer. This country is so far left right now it's scary. I only hope we can stop before we collapse.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

But you're saying - if someone isn't a moderate they are an extremist. Which I totally disagree with. Someone can be a pure liberal and believe in no conservative ideals without being an extremist and vice-versa. An extremist being someone who resorts to violence to get their message across. Cheney is a Republican, no doubt about that, and I doubt there's anything left-oriented he agrees with. But I wouldn't label him an extremist. Like I said, I consider neo-nazis an extremist group because they have a bloody history of trying to get their ideals across, resorting to extreme measures, thus the word "extreme" in "extremist".

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

But you're saying - if someone isn't a moderate they are an extremist. Which I totally disagree with. Someone can be a pure liberal and believe in no conservative ideals without being an extremist and vice-versa.

An extremist being someone who resorts to violence to get their message across.

Cheney is a Republican, no doubt about that, and I doubt there's anything left-oriented he agrees with. But I wouldn't label him an extremist. Like I said, I consider neo-nazis an extremist group because they have a bloody history of trying to get their ideals across, resorting to extreme measures, thus the word "extreme" in "extremist".

So let's dissect the word... extreme as you have mentioned

Main Entry:
1ex·treme Listen to the pronunciation of 1extreme
Pronunciation:
\ik-ˈstrēm\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin extremus, superl. of exter, exterus being on the outside — more at exterior
Date:
15th century

1 a: existing in a very high degree b: going to great or exaggerated lengths : radical c: exceeding the ordinary, usual, or expected

2 archaic : last

3: situated at the farthest possible point from a center

4 a: most advanced or thoroughgoing b: maximum

5 a: of, relating to, or being an outdoor activity or a form of a sport (as skiing) that involves an unusually high degree of physical risk b: involved in an extreme sport

So, there are several of the above which I believe describe Cheney's beliefs as "extreme".

The 1st one, s/poverty/Conservative/ and you have "Extreme Conservative" or as the definition speaks, "A very high degree" of Conservatism.

Now when Cheney says, "Republicans should not moderate" He doesn't mean they shouldn't be centrists... he means that he believes they should not move toward the center at all, maintaining... a very high degree of conservatism. Not "a" degree of conservatism... but "a very high" degree of conservatism.

At the very least, his statement reeks of extremism.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

An extremist being someone who resorts to violence to get their message across.

No, extremism is a mind set. It has nothing to do with violence.

extremism
1. the condition or act of taking an extreme view.
2. the taking of extreme action. — extremist, n., adj.
See also: Attitudes

It says nothing about violence. Starving onself could be considered "extreme" or supporting lier's after they have chumped you out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join