It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim dentist 'refused to treat female patients unless they wore Islamic dress'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Also you should know that every muslim country is totally different, with totally different rules

Quite a few have the same rules. For instance, did you know apostasy (converting to another religion from Islam) is punishable by death in several Islamic countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Yemen, Sudan, Afghanistan etc..

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
This is nonsense.
The simple fact of the matter is he broke NHS rules by doing this.
He must either comply to NHS rules or his funding should be withdrawn and then be prosecuted for discrimination.
Pretty simple really.

This man was probably trained in the UK with NHS funding as well.

This is not representative of the majority of Muslims who are employed or funded by the NHS.
Just one man and his bigotry.
He should be treat exactly the same as any other bigot.

Yep, a lot of people in this thread seem to be ignoring the fact he ran an NHS clinic. The whole point of the NHS is that its available to everyone, its not for telling you to dress like a muslim or you dont get anything.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

He does not own a private business. He is running a public facility that is NHS funded he has no right to demand a certain dress code. In fact even if he was running a private facility he would be breaking the law by deciding who to serve based on those standards. It disgusts me that they think that they have the right to demand something like that. The particular religion does not matter it is wrong no matter what.

-Cauch1

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1

He does not own a private business. He is running a public facility that is NHS funded he has no right to demand a certain dress code. In fact even if he was running a private facility he would be breaking the law by deciding who to serve based on those standards. It disgusts me that they think that they have the right to demand something like that. The particular religion does not matter it is wrong no matter what.

-Cauch1

"It disgusts me that he thinks that he has the right to demand something like that"

I think that's a better way of saying it, he does not speak for everyone, he is not a they, he is an individual.

And yes your right, he has no right at all. And should lose his job in my opinion.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

-Cauch1

This is why i opened the post, it was way beyond anything rational, not a single person should endure such a blatant idiotic attack on one;s right. Whats more disturbing is that he his educated, given that he is an educated person and he has these values, can you see how easy it would be to create a movement with uneducated people. We all have seen the recent news coming out of islamic nations and they are less then comforting at best.

I think he and many like minded need to rationalize that we are living in the 21st century and that human beings have equal rights, regardless if they are Male or Female.

Lets not try to hide behind our fingers here, this type of mentality is common amongst many Islamic nations, as it is what is practiced by the ruling governments.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
As stupid as I may think this is, the good dentist owns a private business and can serve who he wants and not who he doesn't. If as a businessman he's stupid enough to turn away potential customers because they don't meet his religious standards, that's his choice. I really don't see a problem with this.

How is this a private practice? His office is NHS funded. Therefore, he can not discriminate.

'He made compliance with Islamic dress code a condition of treatment, which is entirely inappropriate under the auspices of the National Health Service.
'Patients should have access to NHS treatment regardless of their religious observance, or otherwise.'

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Despite the push in the responses for a difference between private businesses and public, there are discrimination laws that apply to all citizens, and all businesses, that cover this kind of crime against women. This isn't a public purse issue, its a constitutional and discrimination issue. And it must be addressed promptly so this dentist may not continue criminal discriminatory behavior again.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Anyway on topic, this dentist should just do his job, I don't know how he thinks he can stay in business if he forces people to do what he wants.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

I don't think there is anything we can disagree on here, you make absolutely valid points entirely.

And at the end of the day I think we do agree on the concept if not the entire debate, at least!

Cheers my Friend,

w0lf

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
As stupid as I may think this is, the good dentist owns a private business and can serve who he wants and not who he doesn't. If as a businessman he's stupid enough to turn away potential customers because they don't meet his religious standards, that's his choice. I really don't see a problem with this.
what part of NHS funded did you not understand, it means it not private is public we should not have to pay for rasist/anti any thing but islam dentist now should we

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
[edit on 8-5-2009 by habfan1968]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
News : religious people are stupid.
Yet I am not an atheist.
But religion is something different :

One day Mara, the Evil One, was traveling through the villages of India with his attendants. he saw a man doing walking meditation whose face was lit up on wonder. The man had just discovered something on the ground in front of him. Mara’s attendant asked what that was and Mara replied, "A piece of truth."

"Doesn’t this bother you when someone finds a piece of truth, O Evil One?" his attendant asked. "No," Mara replied. "Right after this, they usually make a belief out of it."

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
And, who does every religion hate, atheist, why, because we accept everyone. What aholes we are, excepting people regardless of race, religion, political affilitation.

Blasphemy.

Muslim woman walks into atheist dentists, office, gets root canal, leaves with a fixed mouth.

Woman not dressed like muslim walks into muslim office, leaves after being told not treatable, without certain attire?

Well we know who is wrong here!

I have seen this claim before, that "everyone hates atheists" -- why do you believe that? I don't know anyone that hates anyone based on their beliefs or non-beliefs. Why would anyone hate you because you don't believe in God? I don't hate you if you don't believe in eating meat, or don't believe in taking your shoes off at the front door either. Do you hate me because I do believe in God?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Eventually western societies will put an end to this behavior. I am born and raised Canadian, I have East Indian heritage however I am Roman Catholic.
My parents' left all negative things in their lives behind them when they left the home country. I have grown up in the Canadian culture and am very happy for it. If you leave your home country it is usually to find something better for your family, to keep them safe and provide a better future for them right?

Religious freedoms are protected here but there should be a line drawn somewhere. A few years back there was a kerfuffle over a turban in the RCMP. The guy won and is allowed to wear a turban as part of his uniform but I totally disagree with it still. We should no longer change our rules to allow for these types of things. If Religion is your reason then you should find some other career. You know when the worst places on the planet to live are predominately Islamic based there is a real problem. The common denominator is Islam

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The dentist's last name is BUTT!!!
I wonder if he is allowed to wipe himself with his right hand?
Butt seriously folks.

Anyway. When you have a state sponsored business, then you cannot impose your arbitrary restrictions on people who come in. If you want to do that, then you should only practice on rich people.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

That police officer was a Sikh. He was not Muslim.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is just CRAZY

Imagine you are a dentist
How could you tackle that molar with a Hijab in the way!

Seriously, just another case of Islam gone too far.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I'm very tolerant of a person's right to follow their own religion so long as it doesn't involve the torture and or sacrifice of animals and children.

What I do object to is religious people trying to force their standards on others. In particular we have here a man trying to force a particular type of dress / behaviour on women. And, moreover, women who are likely to be in pain.

Forty or fifty years of Womens' Lib and we are still having this sort of chauvanistic attitude displayed towards women. To me it appears to be more about control of them than any sort of religious point.

For goodness sake - he's going to be poking about in their mouths, why is he so concerned that they cover up their hair? If he is going to find them tempting because their heads aren't covered, maybe he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near them in the first place?

Oh well, let's be grateful for small mercies - at least he's not a brain surgeon.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

It disgusts me that they think that they have the right to demand something like that. The particular religion does not matter it is wrong no matter what.

They?

Who's "they"? Do you mean this one seriously misguided person? Last time I checked individuals aren't referred to as "they" - and this article refers to the actions of a single person.

Bigots come in all shapes, forms and sizes. This guy happens - apparently - to be a bigoted Islamic dentist. Sucks to be him.

Other people want to make an issue out of his stupidity, to further their own bigoted agenda. The Daily Mail likes to feed off those people, because they buy its version of "news".

Condeming bigotry by being bigoted. Height of hypocrisy.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
the only thing to do is submit and appease the muslims in the name of 'multiculturalism'.

or in other words, embrace our dhimmi status.

and thats just for starters.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Who's "they"? Do you mean this one seriously misguided person?

what makes you think this individual is misguided?

are you suggesting that he is wrong for insisting women wear the hajib?

do you believe he is misunderstanding something about his own religion?

is this what you are suggesting?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join