It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Wants Spain to Ban BitTorrent Sites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

According to the United States, Spain has one of the worst file-sharing “problems” in the world. The US claims it is consistently among the top five worst countries in terms of overall downloads and that it regularly takes the top position for movie downloads per capita. The MPA(A), who can hardly be trusted to report unbiased stats, says movie downloads by Spanish citizens reached 350 million in 2008

source

Two problems with this:

First, not all torrenting is of the illegal variety. Lots of people use the BitTorrent protocol to transfer non-copyrighted material such as Linux distributions. This, and all proposed legislation regarding the use of torrents is based on the premise that all torrenting is of copyrighted material.

Second, the United States has no business telling other countries how to operate. I am 100% in favor of American sovereignty and therefore opposed to my country minding anyone's business but its own.

If the MPAA/RIAA feel that they can use the American government to enforce their own brand of justice, i think it's time that they learn their place.

TA

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Yeah, the way his "changes" are working, by 2012, he's going to need a lot of Hollywood help and money to help camoflage his by then, broken campaign.

What a turd.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It's amazing how lobbyists are powerful these days. They are responsible for this, the pressure is coming from the entertainment industries, who wants it all!

This is the trigger that was needed to start imposing new rules and regulations on internet, and the real reason is to better dominate and control. The entertainment industries are part of the MSM, that are owned by the so called "elites".

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This kind of news troubles me deeply . It seems there are a number of reports that could been seen as an attack on the net as we know it .

How right you are when you mention that torrents are used for much more then copyrighted material .

Could this been seen as the U.S government taking on the roll of a lobbyist ?

Could this been seen as an attack on the free exchange of ideas ?

Could this been seen as throwing out the baby with the bath water ?

Thanks for posting this story

[edit on 7-5-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I certainly believe so. The MPAA/RIAA will stop at nothing to get their way. I don't know what kind of tactics these people are using, but there must have been a lot of pressure in the right places to even get this proposal on the table.

TA

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Try telling me you can't buy a Congressman.

Try telling me you can't buy a Senator.

And look at what the unions got in return for all those contributions and block vote.

Now, try telling me that you can't buy a President.

Washington is one big whorehouse.

All it takes is money, and you can get an "around the world."

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
reply to post by Max_TO

I certainly believe so. The MPAA/RIAA will stop at nothing to get their way. I don't know what kind of tactics these people are using, but there must have been a lot of pressure in the right places to even get this proposal on the table.

TA

Anyone know where to find people who are part of the MPAA/RIAA? Maybe it is time people sent a message directly to them; try to take our rights, you lose.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Is there any other news source for this besides the referenced one?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Im going to be checking on this thread, and no offense to the OP, but if i see more people here pissed and posting like crazy because of BIT TORRENT and not the major problems in the US that hes causing......im going to be seriously seriously disappointed........

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Yeah, that will work.

The cats already out of the bag. Long as the internet exist as it is there will be illegal downloading and places to illegally download. Ban one site, then ban another, and ban another, because there will always be a popular one appearing. The only way they can get it under control is to have control over the internet in such a way that would cause a dramatic decrease in the numbers of those who use and enjoy it.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Sorry but the old day's are over. Musicians and filmmakers you should concentrate on making your money off of live performances and box office sales. You know actually work for your money. I admire your talent but but I believe you should not make a fortune for your one hit wonder. It used to be cassettes, CD burners and VCR's were your worst enemy, now, well sorry but internet killed the radio, CD, & VCR star. Hold on to ASCAP and get your money from the clubs. HeHe even that's over. Hail the torrents.

Sports stars, your next. 41 million for a rookie, give me a break. Kids should set their goals above that and actually make a difference in our world.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by timewalker]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AdmiralX

I don't think those in the MPAA/RIAA make their contact info available, and i doubt it would do any good to tell them how you feel, but good suggestion. It may be more productive to contact your state reps and congressmen.

reply to post by munkey66

So far TorrentFreak is the only source i've been able to locate. They are usually the first to report on things like this and, although they are biased toward the torrenting commmunity, i don't suspect they fabricated this one. I will continue to scour google for more details and will post them as i find them.

reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I agree that the major issue here is obama's abuse of his authority. He has no right to govern other countries. BitTorrent can be used for good and ill but that's not really the issue here.

reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

I suspect that this is building toward a global governing body that dictates the use of the internet. The EU has already proposed that (article here) (thread here). I think eventually we will see something like that implemented, it's just a matter of time really.

Thank you all for the replies, posts starred.

TA

[edit on 8-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

[edit on 8-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

I respect your opinion, but i have to disagree. I have a small recording studio and i know first-hand just how much effort is involved in the process of making a professional-grade audio recording. People have the right to protect and profit from their intellectual property. BitTorrent shouldn't be regulated, but people shouldn't abuse the power, either.

TA

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

I know too, I have been a musician most of my life, but profit and gazillions are two different worlds. You should know that live performances are the best source of income. Do it for the love of art not for the $$$$$$$$$. Godzilla has been unleashed. Hail the torrents.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Making great art should be the first goal of any artist, but it often isn't and that's okay.

The brittany spears types who make their "art" just to get rich, make it poorly and will soon be forgotten. They get rich from naive teenagers who haven't and may never develop good taste in music, but it is always okay to get rich if you can, no matter who you're getting rich from and as long as you do it legally.

True Artists such as The Beatles will never be forgotten. Their major reward is the impact their art has on society and the fact that, through their creative genius, they will be immortalized. They too deserve to get as rich as the laws of supply and demand dictate. In the long run, they will be more profitable than the aforementioned group because they held their ability in higher standards and used it to make masterpieces. And that is how it should be.

Artists aside, there are the men and women behind the band to consider. The producers, the recording techs, the mastering house, the promoters etc. They all have themselves and their famlies to feed. As i mentioned earlier, a song doesn't just go from an artists guitar, straight to a torrent tracking site. People work hard to get the artists' work out to the consumer and they too deserve their cut of the profit. When you download illegally, you're not "sticking it to the man" or "robbing from the rich," you're taking food off the tables of hard working people.

In any case, this thread wasn't made to argue about the use and misuse of the BitTorrent protocol. If i have time, i may start a thread in BTS where we can discuss that, if one isn't already available.

Again, i disagree with you, but i disagree respectfully, Thanks for the replies, posts starred.

TA

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I guess none of you are players

I will get a world of fluff music and the old stuff

thats it

we can't survive anymore
the net is killing music -

We have a record that matches anything on the radio, no one has to buy it so we cannot recoup, can't record again if we cannot pay for it.

Brittney's offspring for you all

have fun! Fascions

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

Making great art should be the first goal of any artist, but it often isn't and that's okay.

The brittany spears types who make their "art" just to get rich, make it poorly and will soon be forgotten. They get rich from naive teenagers who haven't and may never develop good taste in music, but it is always okay to get rich if you can, no matter who you're getting rich from and as long as you do it legally.

True Artists such as The Beatles will never be forgotten. Their major reward is the impact their art has on society and the fact that, through their creative genius, they will be immortalized. They too deserve to get as rich as the laws of supply and demand dictate. In the long run, they will be more profitable than the aforementioned group because they held their ability in higher standards and used it to make masterpieces. And that is how it should be.

Artists aside, there are the men and women behind the band to consider. The producers, the recording techs, the mastering house, the promoters etc. They all have themselves and their famlies to feed. As i mentioned earlier, a song doesn't just go from an artists guitar, straight to a torrent tracking site. People work hard to get the artists' work out to the consumer and they too deserve their cut of the profit. When you download illegally, you're not "sticking it to the man" or "robbing from the rich," you're taking food off the tables of hard working people.

In any case, this thread wasn't made to argue about the use and misuse of the BitTorrent protocol. If i have time, i may start a thread in BTS where we can discuss that, if one isn't already available.

Again, i disagree with you, but i disagree respectfully, Thanks for the replies, posts starred.

TA

Its a nasty fascist world for the modern musician...

there is little chance to make a dime - eventually we burn out -

it will take hold on mass... You know how video killed the radio star?

Well us live musicians can't afford to compete with a feller with a mac and a MPC -
Good by dynamics, chord progression, experimentation as we knew it -
the Beatles would be eating turds working at " " chopping away at a boundless wired foe!

Fascism for liberty!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
obama wants spain to change it's laws.........okay

this is a report the US issues every year on piracy, so i don't think it's any big new attack on bit torrent sites, it's just a bull report that's issued every year and spain are getting a bit of flak in it this year. if law makers in spain know or care about this report, i'ld be surprised.

Originally posted by mental modulator
We have a record that matches anything on the radio, no one has to buy it so we cannot recoup, can't record again if we cannot pay for it.

i have my doubts that people buy the stuff on the radio either, comparing yourself to the crap they play on the radio is maybe why people won't buy it.

anyway, if people aren't willing to pay for it, post it on the net for free, promote it like crazy (be annoying) to get people to download it and use the number of downloads your album has had to garner a fan base, gigs etc. make your money that way.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

anyway, if people aren't willing to pay for it, post it on the net for free, promote it like crazy (be annoying) to get people to download it and use the number of downloads your album has had to garner a fan base, gigs etc. make your money that way.

Or, and I hate to be lame with this suggestion, there are tons of artist who are recognized on youtube, many of which become youtube partners and make money from the advertisements on their pages or that pop up on the bottom of the screen while their video plays. This can help you gain attention and fans.

If you're music is good, while the internet has come with a host of copyright issues, it has also given you several new ways to promote your music without catching the eye of MTV or the mainstream media. There's plenty of ways for you to build a fan base. But you still have to be marketable to an extent if you plan on making money. Some people complain about never making it and the sad truth is whether you're good or not you won't last long if no one is willing to pay for what you're offering.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
Some people complain about never making it and the sad truth is whether you're good or not you won't last long if no one is willing to pay for what you're offering.

music lasted centuries without people making money off it, or good money anyway. music is a living, you should either do it because you love it, and if you make a fortune, great, or you probably shouldn't bother.

most people never, ever make a red penny from playing music.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join