It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yeah - Tennessee - Following Montana - Regarding No Fed Control Of Guns! Cool!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

# 1 South Africa: 31,918
# 2 Colombia: 21,898
# 3 Thailand: 20,032
# 4 United States: 9,369
# 5 Philippines: 7,708
# 6 Mexico: 2,606
# 7 Slovakia: 2,356
# 8 El Salvador: 1,441
# 9 Zimbabwe: 598
# 10 Peru: 442
# 11 Germany: 269
# 12 Czech Republic: 181

DEFINITION: Total recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

SOURCE: The Eighth United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (2002) (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

Couple of points I want to take from past posters.

Banning guns just makes sure only cops and criminals have weapons, criminals don't follow laws.

A gun ban will increase violent crimes, as criminals know law abiding citizens have little means to defend themselves. As well, it increases the available supply of weapons to black markets - because all now previously legal weapons are illegal, so they can't be bought or sold legally.

source

Gun ban' utopia creates violent crime increase

The cure is worse than the disease

In a pattern that's repeated itself in Canada and Australia, violent crime has continued to go up in Great Britain despite a complete ban on handguns, most rifles and many shotguns. The broad ban that went into effect in 1997 was trumpeted by the British government as a cure for violent crime. The cure has proven to be much worse than the disease.

Crime rates in England have skyrocketed since the ban was enacted. According to economist John Lott of the American Enterprise Institute, the violent crime rate has risen 69 percent since 1996, with robbery rising 45 percent and murders rising 54 percent. This is even more alarming when you consider that from 1993 to 1997 armed robberies had fallen by 50 percent. Recent information released by the British Home Office shows that trend is continuing.

Reports released in October 2004 indicate that during the second quarter of 2004, violent crime rose 11 percent; violence against persons rose 14 percent.

The British experience is further proof that gun bans don't reduce crime and, in fact, may increase it. The gun ban creates ready victims for criminals, denying law-abiding people the opportunity to defend themselves.

contrast, the number of privately owned guns in the United States rises by about 5 million a year, according to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The number of guns owned by Americans is at an all-time high, fast approaching 300 million.

Meanwhile the FBI reports that in 2003 the nation's violent crime rate declined for the 12th straight year to a 27-year low. The FBI's figures are based on crimes reported to police. By comparison, the U.S. Department of Justice reported in September that, according to its annual national crime victim survey, violent crime reached a 30-year low in 2003.

Right-to-Carry states fared better than the rest of the country in 2003. On the whole, their total violent crime, murder and robbery rates were 6 percent, 2 percent and 23 percent lower respectively than the states and the District of Columbia where carrying a firearm for protection against criminals is prohibited or severely restricted. On average in Right-to-Carry states the total violent crime, murder, robbery and aggravated assault rates were lower by 27 percent, 32 percent, 45 percent and 20 percent respectively.

As usual, most of the states with the lowest violent crime rates are those with the least gun control, including those in the Rocky Mountain region, and Maine, New Hampshire and Ver-mont in the Northeast. The District of Columbia and Maryland, which have gun bans and other severe restrictions on gun purchase and ownership, retained their regrettable distinctions as having the highest murder and robbery rates.

The next point I'd like to make is this. If you look back throughout history, gun bans have been a tool used to commit the worst atrocities imaginable, namely genocide.

This site has some great examples - I'm not going to quote them.
source

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." ~ George Santayana

[edit on 8-5-2009 by djzombie]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I would also add

A: Gun laws don't stop guns or people from using them

I know personally, if I was going to go to a campus and kill a couple dozen people from a gun tower that... first worry I'd have after 24 manslaughter counts and terrorism charges is... that extra 2 years in jail for an illegal firearm

Gun laws don't deter crazy people

B: If your going to commit a Murder, it's pretty stupid to use a gun, particulalry on someone you know or who lives with you, if you weren't a moron, you'd find a way to do it where it wouldn't be as simple to catch you as matching a bullet to the rifle you bought at Costco

Most murders by guns I believe are ...emotional situations, most likely if pushed mentally to a place where your going to kill your frackin family or something... When guns weren't around that psycho used to be called Hatchet Man

and it's kind of almost worse, can't actually be worse than murder but heck... I'd rather be shot then Hatcheted

C: Darfur

500,000 Women raped in a year, gun stats look very scary... until you look at the REAL violence that happens...

I'm going to be Nostradamus and make a prediction

500,000 Texas women will never be raped in a single year nor even in the entire USA with a population of 400 Million People a strong criminal element, and illegal immigration from places where the men can be very biased to woman... not to mention we have terrible substance issues too and a mini narco economy at work...

Guns would be the only reason our nation Does Not look like Darfur

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I wouldn't be so worried about people owning guns if Americans didn't think it was awesome to kill anyone and everyone with them.

I know a good deal of people that have guns... lots of people and not one think it is "awesome" to kill someone... you need a reality check there son...and wake up and see what side of the reality thing you are actually buying into... 10 to 1 it is the anti gun line of misquoted and bastardly manipulated data that has been sunk so many times even the Titanic would still float...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by happyg
reply to post by xxpigxx

Ok that is a valid point....but when does your constitution become archaic and in need for a fresh review...governments all around the world re-write their constitutions to match the current times.

it doesn't need some review to improve things here...it already works well land would continue to work even better if liberal hanky stompers and the sobbing sisters that make excueses for the acts of the criminal element....and just get rid of the vermin and treat it the way it is ...as punk trash...

You get the left leaning anti gun idiots to face reality that no one is going to just roll over and allow the government to take guns away...and we all might be alot happier...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
To even further the qualification of Gun murder numbers.
I'd like to see a correlation between gun murders and those who may have been on legally obtained, big Pharma produced, mood levelers.
Xanax and other Benzodiazepines for example.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I know very few people who owns guns. I never want to own a gun. If someone wants to shoot me, let them shoot me. I refuse to ever use a gun.

What if you had children? What if you had a family being threatened at gun point? Would you still say oh just shoot me..and my family?

I do believe that you mean well Ravenshadow...I really do. I don't own a gun personally either...although I have thought about it.

For the amount of guns in this country..if everyone out there who had one was out shooting people....we'd all be dead right now.

THere are just bad people in the world...in every country. Of course we should do our best to keep guns away from those who are willing to harm others...but infringing on the rights of those who just want to protect themselves is not right.

When the federal government tells you that you can no longer protect yourself...you should be concerned.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I wouldn't be so worried about people owning guns if Americans didn't think it was awesome to kill anyone and everyone with them.

Where did you get that warped view from?

I took an oath "to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic". Would I shoot some who said one of the Bill of Rights no longer applied? I pray that we would never be put in such a position.

Actually, I haven't touched a weapon since 1988 and it wasn't a gun; it was a tactical nuclear missile. Death to tyrants!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
remember noe folks this entire thing is not just about guns...it is about interstate commerce and guns going in and out of state and the govt. interference with business... so it is many different things all in one...

In my state we have speer bullet company and a few others and we are not thrilled with uncle sam at all...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

What is the old saying? Those that give up their freedoms for security do not deserve freedom...

"Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither"... (Ben Franklin)

I'm not nit-picking here TwiTcH, I just thought it important that we understand that we lose both.... IF we give up our freedoms.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join