It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yeah - Tennessee - Following Montana - Regarding No Fed Control Of Guns! Cool!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by happyg
I am an Australian...an outsider to your conversation, however could one of you please explain "WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT FOR AMERICANS TO BARE ARMS"? I do not understand it and most of the modern world does not understand it...please help me to understand!

It's part of our Constitution. Therefore very important to us.

We love our guns.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

What those statistics also fail to show is deaths compared to total population of each country.

Most of those are small countries. I'm not going to do a search on the population of each country...but that's something that needs to be taken into account.

Did you know California is considering looking at legalization of marijuana? Not just medical marijuana....but legalizing it completely...and taxing it...which is a direct violation of federal law. Places are still raided even now just for medical marijuana.

This falls under the same premise as far as state rights are concerned.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I dont know of anyone who has shot someone for the hell of it, I dont know anyone who looks forward to having to shoot anyone to defend their home and family. I do not know anyone who does not own a gun.

Now those are my statistics.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

gee it is hard to argue with that!!!!! that's like asking five year old why they did something and they repond with "cause"......guns kill people...plain and simple...and I know the comeback will be that people kill people...but wouldn't it be nicer to make it harder?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by happyg

The main reason for our right to bear arms is spelled out in our founding documents. To protect ourselves and to take on an overpowered government.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.)

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." (Second Amendment to the Constitution.)

[edit on 7/5/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Ok that is a valid point....but when does your constitution become archaic and in need for a fresh review...governments all around the world re-write their constitutions to match the current times.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Albertarocks

. . .

I'm recently finding out that Tennessee people (I don't know what you call them - Tennesseeans?) seem to be cut from the same cloth. I'm wondering if there is a pattern that I'm unaware of. Are peoples' opinions on this subject somewhat regional? I mean the NW states won't give up their guns without a fight and the deep south states are the same. Is there a pattern or a reason why particular states are so staunch about this?

. . .

I believe people from Tennessee call themselves Vols, after a college football team (American football, obviously
)

And basically everyone likes their guns except for California, Washington DC, and NYC.

There are minor pockets here and there that do not like their guns, but besides those and the big three . . . guns are good

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

reply to post by xxpigxx

Ok that is a valid point....but when does your constitution become archaic and in need for a fresh review...governments all around the world re-write their constitutions to match the current times.

There is nothing archaic about human rights and needing to protect those rights.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I am an Australian...an outsider to your conversation, however could one of you please explain "WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT FOR AMERICANS TO BARE ARMS"? I do not understand it and most of the modern world does not understand it...please help me to understand!

Dude, you're not an outsider. I'm a Canuck and I feel free to talk here. Read my post above. It kind of explains that Americans have always cherished their right to defend themselves and their state. At one time I thought it was crazy, but now I don't. Now I know why they defend the right to bear arms. It's to protect themselves from the federal government who is getting so tyrannical and fascist that it's very, very clear... without those guns the American people would have been placed in a martial law terrorized condition years ago. Perhaps the fathers of the constitution foresaw the day when the federal government would forget who takes orders from whom, and would oversteps its boundaries and powers. That day has come.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

reply to post by Tentickles

gee it is hard to argue with that!!!!! that's like asking five year old why they did something and they repond with "cause"......guns kill people...plain and simple...and I know the comeback will be that people kill people...but wouldn't it be nicer to make it harder?

Guns kill people,that's why I keep all mine locked up. I don't want them out running around creating mayhem,killing willy nilly.
Clubs,stones, piano wire, there are a lot of things that can kill people. All of them generally require a human touch to exact a kill.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

reply to post by xxpigxx

There are several that do rewrite their constitutions. Just take an objective look at the state of affairs in those countries. When rights become privlige everyone loses.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

I have studied the constitution carefully, as well as the founding fathers, and the arguements that were made for and against the wording of the Bill of Rights. They feared governmnet, and knew that government could, at a later time, threaten the freedom of the people. Hence, the second amendment, which is just shy of Switzerland's law that, at one time, required every able-bodied man to have a military weapon (rifle) in the home, and be subject to call at a moment's notice. (I believe Switzerland has since repealed that law. If they have, they may come to regret it.)

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Their laws have changed to mirror other countries whos laws only effect those who would abide by the laws in the first place.

They receive their rifle (a SIG 550 usually) when they enlist for their service. When their service is over they have the option of keeping their rifle. If they choose to keep it the select-fire capability is removed and they go home with a semi-auto AR type rifle. The most popular type of sporting rifle in the world. Because some skier got shot during a domestic dispute the government doesnt make each household store ammo anymore. You can if you want but you have to buy it yourself.

Now because of the Schgen Treaty they have a system of permitting in place that's just like the system found in U.S. slave states. I guess making sure that criminals dont have permits for their guns is really important

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I live in Ohio. Yesterday on the local news we were informed that the possibility of laying off a good percentage of law enforcement and other first-responders is on the table (again). In case something like that happens around here I would feel much safer knowing I have the means to protect my family from the "bad guys" who might just want to take advantage of the situation. Things are changing in this country. We are living history. I'd like to keep on living after the economy drops off the edge of the cliff. I don't ever want to be faced with the potential of shooting another human being but, in the final analysis, I will do what I have to do. Guns are dangerous. People unprepared for crisis are even more so.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I dont know of anyone who has shot someone for the hell of it, I dont know anyone who looks forward to having to shoot anyone to defend their home and family. I do not know anyone who does not own a gun.

Now those are my statistics.

This is actually true. I don't want to have to shoot anyone honestly. I would do everything I could to prevent myself from having to shoot a robber in my house. It's not worth the possible jail time, and unless I absolutely have to.. it's not worth taking a life. I have a gun anyways, I like to shoot at targets, and I have a last resort in a bad situation.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
It's really clear in statistics and studies that America has way WAY more gun related deaths and violence than other Western countries or countries with our wealth. Even countries that have looser gun restrictions than we do.

So... I mean, why is that?
I feel like we should figure that out before we go let ANYONE grab a gun.

www.nationmaster.com...

# 1 South Africa: 31,918
# 2 Colombia: 21,898
# 3 Thailand: 20,032
# 4 United States: 9,369
# 5 Philippines: 7,708
# 6 Mexico: 2,606
# 7 Slovakia: 2,356
# 8 El Salvador: 1,441
# 9 Zimbabwe: 598
# 10 Peru: 442
# 11 Germany: 269
# 12 Czech Republic: 181

DEFINITION: Total recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

SOURCE: The Eighth United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (2002) (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

I support the constitution and self defense. But what is this about?

[edit on 5/7/2009 by ravenshadow13]

Do you have the per capita percentages of each country...

Hard numbers mean nothing...

The world runs on percentages. Ask any investor, tax collector etc...

BTW: The numbers are a Great find! Need percentages to make it relevant.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I wouldn't be so worried about people owning guns if Americans didn't think it was awesome to kill anyone and everyone with them.

So, YOU think it is awesome to kill anyone and everyone with them?

I mean, thats what you just said with that broad generalization of "Americans". It must mean that you feel that way, since, you are an American.

I think you should get out and get in touch with the real America.

Also, this does not mean "anyone" can buy a gun.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I am all for more federal control. If you've seen more of my posts, you know that I do not support the legalization of marijuana on a state level. I feel the same way about this.

I know very few people who owns guns. I never want to own a gun. If someone wants to shoot me, let them shoot me. I refuse to ever use a gun.

If no one wanted a gun to defend themselves, no one would have guns. That is, of course, allowing for the fact that criminals shouldn't get guns. Which they do get.

Which brings me back to my point. If they want to kill me and are lazy enough to use a gun, then so be it.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well, thankfully the people in my state (TN) do NOT want more federal control. The FED controls enough as it is....

What is the old saying? Those that give up their freedoms for security do not deserve freedom...

I own a few guns, and none are for "self defense", they are for sport on the weekends when I feel like shooting at some targets.

A gun is just an object that can hurt nobody unless a person uses it. Guns are not the problem, it's the people that use them with disregard for human life.

You can find those people all over the world... not just in America.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

WOW that's so EMO I want to seriously plant myself in the ground and become a Flower...

If they want to kill me they can?

What wrist slashing because some one was mean to me kind of philosophy is that?

I mean...

I'm messing with you... your Obviously a very Nice Human Being ...

But from a stand point of REALITY, you might on some level be thinking from... a Much better place than others... But you have to be aware, it's not a trait that can possibly ever work from an evolutionary standpoint...

People often come in here and say...

"The Aliens must be nice... evolved beyond war and violence"

And I assure you, this can not be the case

Because, every pulp scifi writer knows

When a Civilization reaches a place, where, Class, War, poverty, Disease and bigotry and Aggression have been eliminated, that Civilization is DOOMED

all it takes is a space bus load of people from another civilization to screw it up...

Let's say

Your a PeaceBirdian from the planet Beautiful

It's been 5,000 years since the last act of violence on your world...flowers are everywhere, people no longer know what violence is or even a lie... there are no records, because having them would, create a thought pattern, it would INFECT the consciousness of people

The one day

The TROGS, from Industrial planet V in the radioactive system show up...

People smile while their heads explode, no one actually can fathom what is happening

Not only to they all die or get enslaved

It is singularly the most intensely psychological horror any thing living has ever known, because they had...no flipping idea... what could happen...

In less than a month 90% of he PeaceBirdians despite having VASTLY superior technology are Dead

Why do we keep guns?

To Avoid that

Whatever some of us are in America...

There are at least a Couple Billion people out there... who suck 10x worse...

Some of those people from time to time can get enough Money to Buy off your own Government too...

then your really screwed...sort of like right now

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join