It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yeah - Tennessee - Following Montana - Regarding No Fed Control Of Guns! Cool!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Cool - Tennessee is following Montana - vote going up tomorrow saying the Feds have no control nor rights to restrict guns or any type of guns in Tennessee! I have to say - I am happy about this!

link to article:
www.wztv.com...

Tennessee lawmakers may soon send the federal government a loud messagehands off our guns.

A new law is under consideration that would say if firearms are manufactured and sold inside the state of Tennessee, federal gun law would not apply.

Now, lawmakers have proposed a new bill called the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act.

It basically exempts guns made and sold in Tennessee from federal regulation, because they never cross the state line.

"If these firearms are meant to be used just here in Tennessee, they're not properly regulated by the federal government because they are not in interstate commerce," says Rep. Fincher.

"Your state, and I suspect every state, will be rushing to try to do something to preserve the rights of their people," says Ronnie Barrett with Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, Inc.

But if the law passes, it will put the state at odds with the federal government, and set the stage for a showdown over guns.

Both the House and Senate versions of this bill will be up for a committee vote tomorrow.

Many believe this issue may ultimately be settled by the United State Supreme Court.Bill Would Prevent Federal Government from Regulating Firearms in TN - John Dunn

Tennesse is right there along with other states - which makes me happy. They passed the Sovereignty Resolution and now jumping onboard the Feds have no control over our guns Bill!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
....So anyone can get a gun?
Kids?
Felons?

Cool.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So that makes MT, UT, OK, TN, and TX that is working on this or has already done it?

What about VT, VA, WV, WY, and CO?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
well now we got a good bunch going at it... gonna get interesting... Idaho is also looking at this in a huge way as well.... the gauntlet has been thrown and lines in the sand drawn..... ought to be real interesting if some of the feds get ignorant and start to try to take weapons... gonna be some killing before this is all over.... sadly it is gonna happen.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I am hoping that Arkansas will follow suit. There is an extension of this that no one has considered. Every state could grant reciprocity to every other state that had passed a similar law. Thus one could cross state lines with impunity.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I wouldn't be so worried about people owning guns if Americans didn't think it was awesome to kill anyone and everyone with them.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
If enough states combine with like-legislation, the Supreme Court won't have any choice but to read the Constitution and state what's clearly there.

More significant may be the OTHER federal laws that states my start to make invalid. It was an abuse of power to twist the Constitutional law to interpret the interstate transport of goods, to mean something entirely different.

For example, we all want safe transportation of goods. We don't want a propane gas truck riding on bald tires. That's a justifiable use of the interstate transportation law.

But they went way overboard, by saying anything that crossed state borders, can in turn be regulated in obscene manners.

As long as guns are transported safely, and unloaded, and secured, that is supposed to be the limitations of Federal jurisdiction over firearms or ammo, or components.

If this flies, then we can likely get a lot of Federal laws rescinded where they clearly overstepped their power.

That's why BATF will fight like hell over this. They like the power, and besides, every once in a while, they get to dress up like the military and charge unannounced into a compound with women and children for an old-fashioned cookout.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

True true.

I think it failed in AR, though.

Good that Idaho is in on it too

[edit on 7/5/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

You watch. When Arkansas sees others doing it, as a southern state, they won't want to be seen as a bunch of retards, especially when they can just copy other's bills, and don't have to figure it out for themselves.

And a lot of folks in Arkansas, and other states will not want to be the only ones doing without.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Not holding my breath, but sure would be nice if Illinois would do this too, especially since Blago is out for the count now.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I wouldn't be so worried about people owning guns if Americans didn't think it was awesome to kill anyone and everyone with them.

Our government has killed more innocent people by waging unjust wars for political, foreign, and economic gain.

A citizen protecting themselves does not make them a killer.

These laws are not about everyone owning a gun...it's about the state's right to regulate it's own gun laws....taking the federal government's ability to do so.

It takes power away from them.

That's how it is supposed to be.

State rights are extremely important. Whether you agree with the ownership of guns or not...you should still support this.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I truly understand where you're coming from. I don't think it's so much that Americans think it's cool to kill with impunity, but that they revere their Constitutional rights to defend themselves. It's an old tradition, apart from the Second Amendment, that closely connects freedom with the ability to hold it.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I look at it this way, I believe people have a right to have guns - we have a right to defend ourselves etc. Especially as more SHTF I sure the heck want to have some form of protection, in case things actually get wild!

It isn't about killing others - it is about protecting ourselves - in case someone else wants to cause us harm.

Edit - spelling

[edit on 7-5-2009 by questioningall]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

Yeah, I just go to target shoot at the mall every weekend. It really tests your skill when the little girls run screaming in terror.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It's really clear in statistics and studies that America has way WAY more gun related deaths and violence than other Western countries or countries with our wealth. Even countries that have looser gun restrictions than we do.

So... I mean, why is that?
I feel like we should figure that out before we go let ANYONE grab a gun.

www.nationmaster.com...

# 1 South Africa: 31,918
# 2 Colombia: 21,898
# 3 Thailand: 20,032
# 4 United States: 9,369
# 5 Philippines: 7,708
# 6 Mexico: 2,606
# 7 Slovakia: 2,356
# 8 El Salvador: 1,441
# 9 Zimbabwe: 598
# 10 Peru: 442
# 11 Germany: 269
# 12 Czech Republic: 181

DEFINITION: Total recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

SOURCE: The Eighth United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (2002) (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

I support the constitution and self defense. But what is this about?

[edit on 5/7/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Ok, these laws the states are enacting are not about letting everyone have a gun - there will always be registrations etc. So, before we go down that route - lets clear it up. No one and none of the state bills for Fed Govt. not to have control of the gun laws - is about letting every Tom Dick and Harry having one.

It is about protecting the average law abiding citizen having the right to own a gun.

Look - at what happened after Katrina - there are vids of the police taking people's guns away inside their homes. That was NOT right - those people had a right to keep their guns. BUT - because a martial law situation happened - all guns were confiscated. WHAT the States are doing - is protecting their citizens in case of anything. SO lets say martial law is enacted - well the FED law might say they can confiscate guns - but state laws may say something different. SO the state laws would trump the FED laws!

It is simply protecting our rights under the consitution - that is the long and short of these states taking direct action - so the consitution stays in affect!

It is not about who gets a gun or not.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
It's really clear in statistics and studies that America has way WAY more gun related deaths and violence than other Western countries or countries with our wealth. Even countries that have looser gun restrictions than we do.

So... I mean, why is that?
I feel like we should figure that out before we go let ANYONE grab a gun.

www.nationmaster.com...

# 1 South Africa: 31,918
# 2 Colombia: 21,898
# 3 Thailand: 20,032
# 4 United States: 9,369
# 5 Philippines: 7,708
# 6 Mexico: 2,606
# 7 Slovakia: 2,356
# 8 El Salvador: 1,441
# 9 Zimbabwe: 598
# 10 Peru: 442
# 11 Germany: 269
# 12 Czech Republic: 181

DEFINITION: Total recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

SOURCE: The Eighth United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (2002) (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

I support the constitution and self defense. But what is this about?

[edit on 5/7/2009 by ravenshadow13]

I wonder what the correlation between these numbers and "illegal drugs" is . . .

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
From north of the border, I find this very interesting. I've only been to about 8 of the states but being up north here, I'm most familiar with Idaho, Montana and Washington.

Many years ago in Montana, I actually saw a big cowboy walking down the street with a revolver strapped to his hip. Honestly, I couldn't believe my eyes. I mean, that was right out of an old cowboy movie. It kind of rattled me because you don't see that in Canada... ever. The thought crossed my mind that the big dude could have pulled that gun out and winged me any time he wanted to. I found that very disturbing. But the guy didn't shoot me and I sure didn't give him reason to.

Anyway, based on that experience and talking with a few people in pubs in Montana and Idaho, I got the very clear message that they liked their guns. I've always thought Texans were the type who wouldn't give up their guns but they'd feed you the bullets if you tried to take their guns.

I'm recently finding out that Tennessee people (I don't know what you call them - Tennesseeans?) seem to be cut from the same cloth. I'm wondering if there is a pattern that I'm unaware of. Are peoples' opinions on this subject somewhat regional? I mean the NW states won't give up their guns without a fight and the deep south states are the same. Is there a pattern or a reason why particular states are so staunch about this?

I'll admit, there was a time I thought it was insane to have so many armed people in one country. Today... I've done a complete 180 and am glad as hell that Americans have guns... because you're probably gonna need 'em. If the American people didn't have guns, I now know that you would have been run over years ago by a completely tyrannical, cruel NWO cabal.

I firmly believe that the American people are near the boiling point and that the politicians had better be very god damned careful in the coming months. But I don't see many sunny days in the next couple of years. Man... if the American people can stop thinking along the lines of democrat/republican, red state/blue state, liberal/conservative... and just rise as one... you can take that country back from the federal government. In reality, I fear that's the only hope you really have. You have no idea how the rest of the world would admire you on that day and on the day the FED is dissolved, then burned to the ground along with all the thieves who run J.P Morgan, Citi, Goldman Sachs and all the other regional banksters. They are thieves the likes of which the world has never seen before, nor will ever see again.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I am an Australian...an outsider to your conversation, however could one of you please explain "WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT FOR AMERICANS TO BARE ARMS"? I do not understand it and most of the modern world does not understand it...please help me to understand!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Oh dear god, I lose my internet for two days and get screwed in missing this news?!

GO TEXAS GO TEXAS GO!
(waiting for the lone star state to act)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join