It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A quick question about the new [HOAX] forum ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I was wondering about the structure of the new [HOAX] forum and seeking a little clarification if possible.

Is it simply for staff to move threads from other forums that were posted in earnest but were consequently exposed as hoaxes or can members post new threads on known hoaxes or on topics which they believe expose previously questionable evidence as hoaxes?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Helloes.

Anyone back there?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Good question. I got the impression that all hoaxes on this site so far will be put in the new HOAX forum for all to see and that any future hoaxes will be put there as well.

I did not have the impression that we can post in there, just that any and all threads that turn out to be hoaxes will be placed there.

Any mods in the know care to go into more detail, as all I can do is speculate.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Good idea.

Or at least have a special tag that could identify those which have been proven wrong.

Nothing like a 40 page thread, and midway through, someone conclusively proves something wrong.

Like you do from time to time.

I like it!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There isn't really a new hoax forum....it's a hoax.

--------------------------------------------------------------

seriously...Maybe a locked starter thread with a list of links to confirmed hoaxes, and other threads within the forum are for possible hoaxes under discussion. Particularly good for new members to do some groundwork. Staff hold the key for the "master-list" in the opening locked thread and add new articles as and when they are confirmed.

Perhaps members should still post incoming reports and stories as normal in the "aliens & UFO" forum and when an article is worthy of "hoax" consideration, it be moved to the "hoax" forum for continued discussion.

Good point though SD and needs clarification I agree.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The intent is for staff to move threads into the HOAX forum as appropriate after Administration makes the final determination that the thread represents a hoax.

Members are free to post on the unlocked threads in the HOAX forum, but please be advised the T&C still applies in that forum like it does everywhere else. In other words, stay on-topic and be civil. No "neeeener neeener neener you big hoaxer" type stuff.

It's certainly possible that someone might bring something to the site that turns out to be a hoax. There's no penalty for that, unless you consider being the thread starter on a thread in the HOAX forum is punitive.

Anyone found to be deliberately perpetrating a hoax, as always, will be perma banned.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. I can make up an answer. (I wasn't selected to mod the HOAX forum based on my knowledge of auto mechanics).

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I'm sorry, I am not understanding.

If I create a thread concerning a hoax, it will be moved into the [HOAX] forum?

I understand that I can create a thread in there, but why would I want to separate the hoax from the pertinent subject matter to which it pertains?

Are you instituting some kind of user accessible cross indexing code, or are all hoax-related threads automatically "hoaxes" (sort of contradictory if you get my drift)?

Also, what criterion specifically demands the reclassification of a submission as a hoax, as opposed to a thread about a hoax?

N'cest pa?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

At this point in time, it's not expected that members will be creating threads in the HOAX forum. Here's the message at the top of every thread page-

Dedicated forum for ATS threads that have been proven to be hoaxes, frauds, or part of deceptive schemes on a variety of topics. Topics in this forum will range from those that have proven to be an actual hoax to those where a significant majority of ATS members believe the subject matter to be based on fraudulent material.

I'm not sure why anyone would create a new thread about a substantiated hoax. If there's already a thread classified as a hoax, the discussion should take place in that thread. If, for the sake of this discussion, you wanted to create a thread about the Piltdown Man (Heaven forfend), it should probably go in the Origins and Creationism forum.

The HOAX forum is for "ATS threads that have been proven to be hoaxes, frauds, or part of deceptive schemes on a variety of topics".

Make sense?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
I'm not sure why anyone would create a new thread about a substantiated hoax.

I think the confusion is [hoax] as a descriptive term and "hoax" as a subject matter.

For example (not the best one mind you) this latest thread by mister.old.school. He is attempting to expose a hoax/fraud thus the subject matter is hoaxing but the thread itself isn't a hoax. Or a hypothetical thread titled "Youtube is a breeding ground for UFO hoaxers."

So I guess what we're seeking clarification on is whether the forum is purely for proven [hoaxes] or can one also post on the subject of hoaxes.

Does that make sense?

[edit on 7 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
At this point in time, the forum is for those threads which have been demonstrated to be hoaxes. If someone starts a thread which is later determined by staff to be a hoax, we'll move it into the HOAX forum.

If you want to start a thread about a topic you already know is a hoax and there isn't already a thread on the topic to which you can add your content, please start the thread in the appropriate subject forum.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Ah ok, thank you very much for the help.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Or a hypothetical thread titled "Youtube is a breeding ground for UFO hoaxers."

That would probably go in the "Deconstructing Disinformation and Deflection" forum. Or perhaps "General Conspiracy"?

I think the HOAX forum is sort of like a visible trash bin, where subjects that have been dismissed can still be referenced, but not visible to searches and the home page or mixed in with other discussion.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
I think the HOAX forum is sort of like a visible trash bin, where subjects that have been dismissed can still be referenced, but not visible to searches and the home page or mixed in with other discussion.

Yep I got it now.

I think what confused me is the ability to create new threads in the [HOAX!] FORUM as a member, so I was trying to figure out what kind of threads one would start in there.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

I think what confused me is the ability to create new threads in the [HOAX!] FORUM as a member, so I was trying to figure out what kind of threads one would start in there.

That's an excellent point. And given the law of unintended consequences, removing the Start New Thread option in that forum would only summon some unfathomable reason to manifest necessitating that ability to exist.

I can't imagine what that reason would be, but there it is. I'm guessing if the existence of the Start New Thread option in that forum becomes a problem, it'll be removed. I know if it becomes a problem, I'll sure be requesting its removal.

Thanks for the questions guys.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Is there a right of appeal?

What would one do if one was falsely accused of making a hoax thread? Would there be a way to get the thread back into the proper forum?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Everything is case by case basis. You can be sure if someone had a thread in the HOAX forum that they felt shouldn't be there, alerting the staff via the Suggestion feature available in the dropdown box off "member tools" (please provide thread link) will generate a staff discussion, as it always does.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
UPDATE

A little new info for the interested- The NEW THREAD option has been removed from the HOAX forum, so it is no longer possible for a member to create a new thread in there.

At least we won't have that issue moving forward.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Thank you very much for answering my question and for sorting out Deafraz's thread.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
UPDATE

A little new info for the interested- The NEW THREAD option has been removed from the HOAX forum, so it is no longer possible for a member to create a new thread in there.

At least we won't have that issue moving forward.

But you still face the issue of the decision to move a members thread.

Many would argue that most of the existing threads could be moved there, no?

[edit on 9-5-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The main point of the Forum is to not have certain threads suddenly disappear (TrashBin) but have more transparency for ATS-Members.

And btw: Threads about Hoaxes or on the subject "Hoaxes" are not Hoax-Threads.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join