It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Strange !! Has this happened to anyone else?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I just spoke to my mom, and she told me that this morning at 8:00am cst she answered her phone, said hello and a recorded voice said "Stand by for voice recognition"then it just hung up.
Has anyone else had this happen? Isn't voice recognition technology more common with high security facilities? Was this a wrong # or was someone recording her voice for future tracking? perhaps Homeland Security?
My mom is a VERY level headed person and has never been known for flights of fancy. She is also a Republican, or as the government now refers to as a right - wing extremist. She has never been in trouble, never cheated on taxes, obeys every law, goes to church etc.
Any ideas other than wrong #?
By the way, she said she had 2 more calls today where when she said hello, there was a moment of silence and then "click"
I thought of you guys the moment she told me this!! Help ATS'ers!!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
yes this has happened to us before to just like 2 months ago. answered the phone and same as what happened to you, Stand by for voice recognition, anyway I didnt wait to see what happened I just hung up. It hasnt happened again.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Wow! was this a cell phone or a land line? I hate not knowing who's calling before I answer. I wonder if this is related to the GPS tracking that has been happening lately?

-E-

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Land line. She doesn't have caller ID though. I think even if she did, it wouldn't have showed the #.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by KommonKnowledge

Very interesting!! You don't have to say if you don't want, but are you considered to be a "right-wing extremist' in other words, speak out against Washington?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
There was an article in the Popular Science years ago that was confirmed by a friend of mine who was in the Air Force at the time.

Voice recognition will allow say a lost child to just dial operator and say I want my mommy, and he will be connected based on voice recognition. The calls are made from a satelite based computer.

Everyone who answers will be catalogued.

I am so amazed what these people think up, I think they have way to much time on their hands, and way to much of our money.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Voice recognition could also mean that the caller (machine) was waiting for a person to say hello. Have you ever answered questions on a customer service call that had you speaking to a machine?

The call was probably placed to your Mom on what is called a dialer. We used to use them at the collection agency I worked for.

This was probably just a sales call, or a dreaded debt collector.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Could be a sales call, but she said hello first, then it said please wait for voice regognition. Also, since she said hello, wouldn't the caller then respond when she said hello. I think she mentioned saying hello more than once, I'll have to ask her.
Another thing I just thought of, why wouldn't they keep calling and bugging her? why just the once?
Oh, and believe me, my mom NEVER has bill collectors calling her.
I have had many of those sales calls and I kept saying hello till someone finally picked up It usually takes a couple of hello's and then a person amswers. Never did it say "please wait for voice recognition" and I get at least 10 sales calls a week.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by sickofitall2012]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

I do know it took some seconds after a person responded at the collection agency for the call to drop in to one of the collectors, causing quite a few people to have to say hello a few times.

Maybe your Mom said hello before the dialer recognized she had picked up the first time.

I don't know why they haven't called her back. Is she on the no call list for sales calls?

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless she starts getting these kinds of calls all the time.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

It sounds like they have the account for the phone in someone's name. If they used a prepaid phone not under anyone's name or social security number, that should stop the dead air calls with the click.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yes, she is on the no-call list.
Has anyone else heard this on their sales call? That's the only weird part of this. Out of all the calls I've had, and I'm about 1/2 a mile from her, I have never heard this, never. I have kept saying hello sometimes and no one ends up answering, but never this.

top topics

join