It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese and American Ships Clash Again in Yellow Sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Chinese and American Ships Clash Again in Yellow Sea

www.timesonline.co.uk

China Demonstrated its growing Naval confidence again in the latest standoff between American and Chinese ships.

"We expressed our concern and demand the US side take effective measures to ensure a similar incident does not happen again.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
WHY

Why are the US over there poking a stick into a hornet's nest.
There are surveillance ships violating Chinese and International laws. Then the USNS Victorious opens its fire hoses on 2 fishing vessels. ??? I realize the Neo-cons want to unsurp Dictators but China could do more harm to the US without a shot fired economically. Why provoke ?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Damn those fishersmans... US is sailing on international waters!

I dont get this - two sides in every story - but if there is no story?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

I see your point Janus

The same could have been said in the 60's when Russia wanted to put nukes on Cuba.

It was out of the US International waters, it was on a country that WILLINGLY

accepted the missles.

Yet , somehow it was wrong !!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Something fishy is definitely going on.

What with N. Korea flexing its missile capabilities and the control that China has over the dollar and the recent Chinese bankers jailed for fraud in the US... things are not looking good.

Back in 2003/4 I was in a conversation with an ex-foreign Legion paratrooper.. He was concerned about Iraq/Iran being a threat.. I told him that I believed t was China that we all had to have our eyes on.

Wether China is the 'bad guy' or not is not so much te point right now.. It does seem that someone, somewhere, is really trying to yank Chinas chains..

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
When I read the article..this paragraph stuck out to me the most.

"The Chinese vessels did not withdraw until after the Victorious had sounded an alarm and a Chinese military ship, identified by the Pentagon as WAGOR 17, arrived in response to the call for assistance. It shone a light on the fishing vessels until they left. "

definately some tensions brewing between us and china.
nothing else to add.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

But how much can we talk Russians and Chinese separatetly? Shanghai Cooperation Organization is here to stay - unless its not widely reported - SCO just kept their annual meeting in Moscow yesterday and today - all memberstates included. Chinas ministers has been in Moscow since last friday, "to show their support" when movements in Georgian borders begun.

MSM has also forget to mention EU confrence, where oilpipes was high on table since yesterday... Russia and USA is there in Caucasus region in competetive projects. --- Its all about the oil again!

We tje people are in darkness - we wont get any accurate information from real political happenings - just some little pieces from pig picture... This is some news what should look also, and what reality those can give us:

CSTO's rapid-reaction force to hold exercises in late summer
en.rian.ru...

Russian MP proposes Caribbean drill response to NATO exercises
en.rian.ru...

China to hold large-scale military drills in second half of 2009
en.rian.ru...

Russian court convicts US brothers on spy charges
wire.antiwar.com...

Plus China and Russia announced tuesday that they will keep 25 more joint drills this year alone (+ already decided SCO drills) which means common drills to every single day in this year!

Russia and China is one - does USA take a stand in the other side?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seany
There are surveillance ships violating Chinese and International laws.

Care to back up that claim ?

China doesn't like the surveillance, but that doesn't make it illegal under international law. I sincerely doubt these ships are violating Chinese territorial waters. They simply don't need to, to fulfill their mission.

It may enrage the Chinese military, and they can't do anything about it.
Remember when that hotshot J-8 pilot killed himself trying to play chicken with an EP-3 ?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Damn those fishermans... News related:

Chinese boats 'encounter' US ship in South China Sea

Chinese fishing boats have had an encounter with a US Navy ship in the South China Sea.

The Pentagon said on Tuesday that the Chinese fishing boats engaged in "dangerous" maneuvers near a US Navy ship in international waters off the coast of China on Friday .

Spokesman Bryan Whitman confirmed that a pair of Chinese vessels had forced the US vessel into defensive measures. "It is unsafe and dangerous behavior and it needs to be addressed diplomatically," Whitman said.

www.presstv.ir...

- Comes Bay Of Tonking to my mind... "I thought those were torpedo boats!"

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
International law says your territorial waters only extend 12 NM from the coast.
In an Economic zone it is 200 nm But that zone is still considered international and a war ship can do whatever they want to do in there. even in territorial waters a war ship may enter those waters under an Innocent passage to move from one area to another.

If anyone is violating any international laws on this issue it is China. these surveillance ships are un armed vessels and in peace time they are used to map the ocean floors. Whether China likes it or not their is nothing they can do to stop any countries ships from entering the economic zone. China probably should control there "fishing" Vessels before they cross a line that can't be uncrossed.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
just like bumping chests before a fight by the sound of it, this is gonna be a realy bad war if it turns nasty every place seems set to kick off at the moment. any one know the places theres no turmoil?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
the reality is that if China sent spy ships (and thats what they are - calling them military sea floor mapping ships is about as dubious as it gets), then sent fully armed destroyers along with them because the American "fishing boats" had been harrassing them there would be political carnage.

Get some perspective - Americans would not tolerate chinese, russian subs, destroyers operating 12 nm off their coast, so feigning outrage at Chinas response is at the very best utterly disingenuous.

Finally pick a fight with these people and you will lose BIG TIME.

Stupid, stupid stupid approach by the yanks.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Is everybody else misunderstanding this, or is it me who is missing something? It looks like fishing boats harassed a US naval boat, that in turn called the chinese military to come chase the chinese fisherman off, which they did. Doesn't that indicate some military cooperation as opposed to tension?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
China could be the new Osama Bin Laden

they have been in breaking news with so many different stories the past couple of days.

its more fear mongering i think, muscle flexing, and the US is really trying to fuel the fire so to speak with China/North Korea/Iran/Pakistan/Afghanistan

we want anyone to start a war with us, or give us a reason to go bomb a country for false reasons, like the past wars

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
China could be the new Osama Bin Laden

they have been in breaking news with so many different stories the past couple of days.

its more fear mongering i think, muscle flexing, and the US is really trying to fuel the fire so to speak with China/North Korea/Iran/Pakistan/Afghanistan

we want anyone to start a war with us, or give us a reason to go bomb a country for false reasons, like the past wars

Its good to have goals m8, if flexing and starting wars are the goals.

Then might as well be the agressor

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Is everybody else misunderstanding this, or is it me who is missing something? It looks like fishing boats harassed a US naval boat, that in turn called the chinese military to come chase the chinese fisherman off, which they did. Doesn't that indicate some military cooperation as opposed to tension?

Most everyone else is misunderstanding it.

Most likely, it's because they haven't even read it. Most people on this board just jump on the bandwagon that the initial poster brought in or the bandwagon of their own bias. It really makes this place look like a convention for melt brains.

The simple fact is that the USNS Victorious is an intelligence gathering ship - a spy ship, for all intents and purposes. Chinese "fishing vessels" came very close to this ship.

News flash: You don't want ANY unauthorized vessels coming near your "spy ships"

The U.S ship took out the fire hose as a "warning", which apparently didn't work, so the U.S ship called for assistance from the Chinese navy in lieu of more... drastic measures toward the "fishing vessels"

The Chinese Navy had the "fishing vessels" leave.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
We will go to war with china and blow them up a bit, they will want this because it will cull their population and they need that badly. In turn we will tell them we owe them no money in the treaty and then the people behind the curtains will rejoice.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Sorry to disappoint the doomsday folks on here, but the US and China are not going to go to war. Period.

The atomic bombs dropped at the end of WW2 signaled the end of large scale war between superpowers. The governments of the US and China might be competing for resources and power, but everybody knows that all out nuclear war is bad for business.

The wars of the modern world are fought through proxies and only against countries that don't have the means to defend themselves.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Get some perspective - Americans would not tolerate chinese, russian subs, destroyers operating 12 nm off their coast, so feigning outrage at Chinas response is at the very best utterly disingenuous.

Finally pick a fight with these people and you will lose BIG TIME.

Stupid, stupid stupid approach by the yanks.

I think it's you that lacks perspective. The Russians had spy ships and submarines loitering around the US coast all throughout the cold war. Just last year, they started practice bombing runs again, closely strafing the Alaskan border. The actions of the Chinese fishing vessels are pathetic.

new topics

top topics

join