It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus get's props from the Whitehouse! Amen?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Man..... you can't be serious can you?

You want me to be?

Really???

OT

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
????????

just a teddy bear......

OT

Ok...take a deep breath.

Go back and re-read the thread...from the start.
I have... and you know what?

I have responded to your points and have a rational argument....you have you usual ramblings and games.... and defection and avoidance tactics.

And you're older and wiser???

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
President Obama, We are behind you....

You are in great company!!!!!

Here's some earlier quotes that were the foundation of yourss

GREAT JOB!!!!!!

OT

BTW, BB, have you seen any bldg's in DC to the atheist God???

Thomas Paine:
“ It has been the error of the schools to teach astronomy, and all the other sciences, and subjects of natural philosophy, as accomplishments only; whereas they should be taught theologically, or with reference to the Being who is the author of them: for all the principles of science are of divine origin. Man cannot make, or invent, or contrive principles: he can only discover them; and he ought to look through the discovery to the Author.”
“ The evil that has resulted from the error of the schools, in teaching natural philosophy as an accomplishment only, has been that of generating in the pupils a species of atheism. Instead of looking through the works of creation to the Creator himself, they stop short, and employ the knowledge they acquire to create doubts of his existence. They labour with studied ingenuity to ascribe every thing they behold to innate properties of matter, and jump over all the rest by saying, that matter is eternal.” “The Existence of God--1810”

Benjamin Rush:
• “I lament that we waste so much time and money in punishing crimes and take so little pains to prevent them…we neglect the only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of government; that is, the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by means of the Bible; for this Divine Book, above all others, constitutes the soul of republicanism.” “By withholding the knowledge of [the Scriptures] from children, we deprive ourselves of the best means of awakening moral sensibility in their minds.” [Letter written (1790’s) in Defense of the Bible in all schools in America]
• “Christianity is the only true and perfect religion.”
• “If moral precepts alone could have reformed mankind, the mission of the Son of God into our world would have been unnecessary.”

"Let the children who are sent to those schools be taught to read and write and above all, let both sexes be carefully instructed in the principles and obligations of the Christian religion. This is the most essential part of education”
Letters of Benjamin Rush, "To the citizens of Philadelphia: A Plan for Free Schools", March 28, 1787

Justice Joseph Story:
“ I verily believe Christianity necessary to the support of civil society. One of the beautiful boasts of our municipal jurisprudence is that Christianity is a part of the Common Law. . . There never has been a period in which the Common Law did not recognize Christianity as lying its foundations.”
[Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States p. 593]
“ Infidels and pagans were banished from the halls of justice as unworthy of credit.” [Life and letters of Joseph Story, Vol. II 1851, pp. 8-9.]
“ At the time of the adoption of the constitution, and of the amendment to it, now under consideration [i.e., the First Amendment], the general, if not the universal sentiment in America was, that Christianity ought to receive encouragement from the state, so far as was not incompatible with the private rights of conscience, and the freedom of religious worship.”
[Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States p. 593]

Noah Webster:
“ The duties of men are summarily comprised in the Ten Commandments, consisting of two tables; one comprehending the duties which we owe immediately to God-the other, the duties we owe to our fellow men.”

“In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government ought to be instructed...No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people.”
[Source: 1828, in the preface to his American Dictionary of the English Language]

Let it be impressed on your mind that God commands you to choose for rulers just men who will rule in the fear of God [Exodus 18:21]. . . . If the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted . . . If our government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the Divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws. [Noah Webster, The History of the United States (New Haven: Durrie and Peck, 1832), pp. 336-337, 49]

“All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible.” [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

“The Bible was America’s basic textbook
in all fields.” [Noah Webster. Our Christian Heritage p.5]

“Education is useless without the Bible” [Noah Webster. Our Christian Heritage p.5 ]

George Washington:

Farewell Address: The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations. With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion" ...and later: "...reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle..."

“ It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.” [speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs May 12, 1779]

"To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian" [May 2, 1778, at Valley Forge]

During his inauguration, Washington took the oath as prescribed by the Constitution but added several religious components to that official ceremony. Before taking his oath of office, he summoned a Bible on which to take the oath, added the words “So help me God!” to the end of the oath, then leaned over and kissed the Bible.

Nelly Custis-Lewis (Washington’s adopted daughter):
Is it necessary that any one should [ask], “Did General Washington avow himself to be a believer in Christianity?" As well may we question his patriotism, his heroic devotion to his country. His mottos were, "Deeds, not Words"; and, "For God and my Country."

“ O Most Glorious God, in Jesus Christ, my merciful and loving Father; I acknowledge and confess my guilt in the weak and imperfect performance of the duties of this day. I have called on Thee for pardon and forgiveness of my sins, but so coldly and carelessly that my prayers are become my sin, and they stand in need of pardon.”
“ I have sinned against heaven and before Thee in thought, word, and deed. I have contemned Thy majesty and holy laws. I have likewise sinned by omitting what I ought to have done and committing what I ought not. I have rebelled against the light, despising Thy mercies and judgment, and broken my vows and promise. I have neglected the better things. My iniquities are multiplied and my sins are very great. I confess them, O Lord, with shame and sorrow, detestation and loathing and desire to be vile in my own eyes as I have rendered myself vile in Thine. I humbly beseech Thee to be merciful to me in the free pardon of my sins for the sake of Thy dear Son and only Savior Jesus Christ who came to call not the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Thou gavest Thy Son to die for me.”
[George Washington; from a 24 page authentic handwritten manuscript book dated April 21-23, 1752
William J. Johnson George Washington, the Christian (New York: The Abingdon Press, New York & Cincinnati, 1919), pp. 24-35.]

"Although guided by our excellent Constitution in the discharge of official duties, and actuated, through the whole course of my public life, solely by a wish to promote the best interests of our country; yet, without the beneficial interposition of the Supreme Ruler of the Universe, we could not have reached the distinguished situation which we have attained with such unprecedented rapidity. To HIM, therefore, should we bow with gratitude and reverence, and endeavor to merit a continuance of HIS special favors". [1797 letter to John Adams]

James Wilson:
Signer of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution
Supreme Court Justice appointed by George Washington
Spoke 168 times during the Constitutional Convention

"Christianity is part of the common law"
[Sources: James Wilson, Course of Lectures [vol 3, p.122]; and quoted in Updegraph v. The Commonwealth, 11 Serg, & R. 393, 403 (1824).]

Public Institutions
Liberty Bell Inscription:
“ Proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all the inhabitants thereof” [Leviticus 25:10]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Dude, what on earth is your point in this post ?

The president said a prayer, so what ? The Simpsons say grace before ramming their snouts in the trough.

Is Obamas' prayer somehow proving your beliefs ? What if he's praying to Moloch ?

This is a neat video about xtian prayer (although the title is a little off) which promotes thinking.

You are forever sending people off to watch videos or visit websites OT, so now I would like your opinion of the video you would oblige, only a few minutes long so not hard.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

Dude, what on earth is your point in this post ?

What it usually is... to ridicule, feel superior and divide.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

...you have you usual ramblings and games.... and defection and avoidance tactics......

aaahhhhh...

ooohhh......

aaarrggggg......

OT

PS: Another distraction to avoid my logic....sorry....I was dormant the last thread....out of respect to you and the other ATHEISTS....yes I said it...
...because I regonize life is hard....

This thread was addressed to skeptics and christians, did you see that...when you re-read it...?
....why you join?

Easy answer...you are looking for answers....

And OT lived WAY TOO LONG to wonder around wondering.....

The ole' guy gots some answers

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

PS: Another distraction to avoid my logic....sorry....I was dormant the last thread....out of respect to you and the other ATHEISTS....yes I said it...
...because I regonize life is hard....

Ah ok...the truth comes out.
This is just another US vs THEM thread

This thread was addressed to skeptics and christians, did you see that...when you re-read it...?
....why you join?
Easy answer...you are looking for answers....

Because i have a right to participate in any thread i like.
I'm a pretty skeptical person so i thought I'd mosey on in ya know?

And as i have pointed out several times yet you still refuse to address....what has SKEPTICISM got to do with GOD???

And OT lived WAY TOO LONG to wonder around wondering.....
The ole' guy gots some answers

Yeah, i think you have mate.... memory going maybe?

And you have no answers as usual....just inane ramblings and games.

[edit on 7/5/09 by blupblup]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

And as i have pointed out several times yest you still refuse to address....what has SKEPTICISM got to do with GOD???

???????????????????

Are you serious?????????

You history says NO...you are just playing....

Skeptic? ummm??

Perhaps the broadest criticism of the possibility of absolute truth is to be found in the skeptic's argument regarding the criterion of truth. Any criterion used to judge the truth of a claim can be challenged because a further criterion is needed by which to judge the present criterion, and so on ad infinitum. This argument did not deter philosophers such as Plato and Descartes from claiming to have found an absolutely impeccable criterion of truth. While most skeptics would reject the notion that such criteria are what their advocates claim them to be, most would probably accept the arguments of St. Augustine and others that there are absolutely certain claims, but that these are matters of Logic or definition and have nothing to do with establishing the certainty of any claim that goes beyond immediate perception.

The ancient skeptics did not all agree on even the most fundamental of matters, such as whether certainty and knowledge are possible. Some believed that they knew certainty was not possible; others claimed that they did not know whether knowledge is possible. The position that one knows that knowledge is impossible seems to be self-refuting. The view that one does not know whether knowledge is possible is consistent with the notion that it makes sense to strive to know, even if one can't be sure that one will arrive at knowledge. And, while some ancient skeptics seem to have advocated that the ideal is to have no strong opinions, most seem to have maintained that when there was a preponderance of evidence supporting the probability of one position rather than another, then belief in the more probable position was desirable. Most ancient Skeptics do not seem to have believed that simply because one cannot be absolutely certain about anything, one should therefore suspend judgment on all things. Such a view would be self-refuting. For, according to the principle itself one should not accept it, but suspend judgment on it. Suspending judgment on claims should be reserved for those claims one knows nothing about, or can know nothing about, and for those claims for which the evidence is proportionate on opposing sides. It may be true that nothing is absolutely certain, but it is not true that all claims are equally probable. A reasonable person uses probability as a guide to belief, not absolute certainty, according to most philosophical skeptics.

The Greek word skeptikoi means seekers or inquirers. Socrates, who claimed that the only thing he knew was that he knew nothing, frequently said "Skepteon," meaning we must investigate this. The Pyrrhonists sought the truth, even if most of the time that meant that they sought contrary arguments to dogmatic positions held by other philosophers, such as the Stoics or Epicureans. On those issues where argument and counterargument equaled one another, the Pyrrhonists held that we should suspend judgment. They apparently found that such a stance fit well with their desired goal of peace of mind (ataraxia). For, it is the dogmatist who gets agitated when he doesn't possess the good or truth he knows he should have, or when others refuse to accept what he knows is the truth.

link: www.skepdic.com...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Ah ok...the truth comes out.
This is just another US vs THEM thread

Do you want this?

Us vs THEM?

OT curious...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Rather than quoting pages of rubbish and talking in riddles....why don't YOU answer me.

Skepticism, in this thread, has nothing to do with the topic.
I believe the term you were looking for was atheist.

Your whole OP is a trap... it's just there for you to gloat and drone on about how god is this and you know this because Paul, John, Ringo or george told you....

It's boring mate.

It serves no purpose and quite frankly.... it's despicable.

Can't wait for your next hate thread

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Do you want this?
Us vs THEM?
OT curious...

It's not about what i want mate..... you set the tone and premise for the thread.... I'm just responding

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Rather than quoting pages of rubbish and talking in riddles....why don't YOU answer me.

Skepticism, in this thread, has nothing to do with the topic.
I believe the term you were looking for was atheist.

Your whole OP is a trap... it's just there for you to gloat and drone on about how god is this and you know this because Paul, John, Ringo or george told you....

It's boring mate.

It serves no purpose and quite frankly.... it's despicable.

Can't wait for your next hate thread

You are looking rather defensive/desperate...

It's OK...the Cav's game is one....I'll check back later....

OT has no hate in him whatsoever

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I was thinking of posting something constructive when i first read your OP, but as you blatantly seem to ignore anyone who is asking questions other than with a sarcastic or nonsensical response...i see little point.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

You are looking rather defensive/desperate...
It's OK...the Cav's game is one....I'll check back later....
OT has no hate in him whatsoever

What...?

Again...riddles and games.

You have no point, no answers and you make no sense.

And I....ME.....I am looking desperate and defensive...

Talk about deluded...

As i said... read the thread from the start and see what happened.

See who is giving answers in a a clear and concise manner and who is responding to points and who makes sense.

I can say with certainty.... it is NOT you.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

You are right. Skepticism has nothing to do with the topic. It's a broad term.

Atheism would be an appropriate term.

I see that there's no solving the problem here. The OP danced around by responding with silly posts and quotes from the founding fathers which I can reply with anti-christianity quotes from the very same people.

I could get back into the game.... actually I'm kinda back in the game
but sometimes I just get tired and let them find out for themselves.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Reading the way your post was written and your sarcastic pride filled responses to others, and in particular to BlupBlup, to me shows your obvious agenda to create divisions between the people you are suppose to show respect and love to.

And in relation to Obama saying he believes in prayer, and having a national day of prayer, to me is neither here nor there.

A true Christian, or believer in God, would already be praying every day for what is needed, and to be told to pray on a certain day means nothing. I would hope people would be praying all the time.

If Obama knows this, as a real Christian, or believer in God, why does he need to advertise his own belief. Maybe another agenda?

Therefore to me, it means nothing his beliefs, and the possible motives for advertising them.

I don't know what you believe, but you are not showing the fruits of God.

This is just my opinion from what I have observed.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

What does prayer matter anyways? Its just some dellusional attempt to control God and/or the universe.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join