It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus get's props from the Whitehouse! Amen?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Skeptics, are you upset President Obama believes in prayer?

See the Proclamation here: www.whitehouse.gov...

Excerpt here:

Throughout our Nation's history, Americans have come together in moments of great challenge and uncertainty to humble themselves in prayer. In 1775, as the Continental Congress began the task of forging a new Nation, colonists were asked to observe a day of quiet humiliation and prayer. Almost a century later, as the flames of the Civil War burned from north to south, President Lincoln and the Congress once again asked the American people to pray as the fate of their Nation hung in the balance.

See President Obama signing here: www.flickr.com...

It seems the church hierarchy is upset he didn’t do enough? What’s up with that?

Dr. Dobson says he is disappointed by Obama's lack of emphasis on prayer.

See here: www.citizenlink.org...

I don't see a lack of emphasis....

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

What the hell has believing in prayer got to do with Skepticism???

WTG OT.

Another divisive thread.

US 'N THEM

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

What the hell has believing in prayer got to do with Skepticism???
quote]

bb,

???

What does that mean?

OT

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Question for OT: Why do you think he's talking about praying to Jesus? He could suggesting we pray to Mumbo Jumbo, or Emperor Palpatine?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Another divisive thread.

?????

What's up with that? I'm a big teddy bear

OT

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Pretty sure you know what it means?

Your first line is baiting...

"skeptics, are you upset President Obama believes in prayer?"

Shouldn't it be Atheists?

As i said....what the hell has skepticism got to do with god?

It' not a difficult question mate?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
Question for OT: Why do you think he's talking about praying to Jesus? He could suggesting we pray to Mumbo Jumbo, or Emperor Palpatine?

oh yeah...what was I thinking

maybe the founding fathers could shed some light on it....

“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”
• “[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”
–John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --October 11, 1798

"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen." December 25, 1813 letter to Thomas Jefferson

"Without Religion this World would be Something not fit to be mentioned in polite Company, I mean Hell." [John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, April 19, 1817] |
.......click here to see this quote in its context and to see John Adams' quotes taken OUT of context!

Samuel Adams: | Portrait of Sam Adams | Powerpoint presentation on John, John Quincy, and Sam Adams
“ He who made all men hath made the truths necessary to human happiness obvious to all… Our forefathers opened the Bible to all.” [ "American Independence," August 1, 1776. Speech delivered at the State House in Philadelphia]

“ Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age by impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity… and leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.” [October 4, 1790]

John Quincy Adams:
• “Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day [the Fourth of July]?" “Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity"?
--1837, at the age of 69, when he delivered a Fourth of July speech at Newburyport, Massachusetts.

“The Law given from Sinai [The Ten Commandments] was a civil and municipal as well as a moral and religious code.”
John Quincy Adams. Letters to his son. p. 61

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Another divisive thread.

?????
What's up with that? I'm a big teddy bear

OT

Well, I've noticed a recent trend....

You seem to like starting divisive threads.

And divisive

"di⋅vi⋅sive
   /dɪˈvaɪsɪv/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-vahy-siv] Show IPA
–adjective
1. forming or expressing division or distribution.
2. creating dissension or discord."

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Pretty sure you know what it means?

Your first line is baiting...

"skeptics, are you upset President Obama believes in prayer?"

Shouldn't it be Atheists?

As i said....what the hell has skepticism got to do with god?

It' not a difficult question mate?

what's up with you and Gawdzilla's 'star' love fest? you both are quick....

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Sorry, but that was then and this is now. And I think the founding fathers were thinking about "Christianity" in a way it's never been practiced.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

marketing maybe?

divisive no!

Just having fun....helping people to think....

Some of you boys are excusing me of taking more that one identity/avatar...

I'm glad you all are thinkin of me....

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Sorry, but that was then and this is now. And I think the founding fathers were thinking about "Christianity" in a way it's never been practiced.

cop

out!

OT

link   

I have not starred a single post.... i care not for stars or reputation.

Don't avoid my questions.

What is the point?

You want another 20 page argument like the last one just to cause ill feeling and to create divisions.

seriously dude???

What are you doing?

link   

Originally posted by OldThinkerwhat's up with you and Gawdzilla's 'star' love fest? you both are quick....

I've given two stars since I've been here. The second was a few hours ago. As for speed, I'm doing four things right now, plus reading this forum.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

reply to post by blupblup

marketing maybe?
divisive no!
Just having fun....helping people to think....

Some of you boys are excusing me of taking more that one identity/avatar...

I'm glad you all are thinkin of me....

Dude..... what are you talking about.

Just talk normally and address points.
None of your games...or your third person perspective nonsense...

What is your point?

Why did you start this baiting thread?

Why did you say "skeptics" when you really meant "atheists"

Are you really a troll?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I'll stick with them...truth is truth!!!!!! timeless, you know this...why are you so negative...who pissed you off....

John Quincy Adams:
• “Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day [the Fourth of July]?" “Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity"?
--1837, at the age of 69, when he delivered a Fourth of July speech at Newburyport, Massachusetts.

“The Law given from Sinai [The Ten Commandments] was a civil and municipal as well as a moral and religious code.”
John Quincy Adams. Letters to his son. p. 61

Elias Boudinot: | Portrait of Elias Boudinot
“ Be religiously careful in our choice of all public officers . . . and judge of the tree by its fruits.”

Charles Carroll - signer of the Declaration of Independence | Portrait of Charles Carroll
" Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure...are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments." [Source: To James McHenry on November 4, 1800.]

Benjamin Franklin: | Portrait of Ben Franklin
“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787 | original manuscript of this speech

“In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered… do we imagine we no longer need His assistance?” [Constitutional Convention, Thursday June 28, 1787]

In Benjamin Franklin's 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he insisted that schools teach "the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern."

In 1787 when Franklin helped found Benjamin Franklin University, it was dedicated as "a nursery of religion and learning, built on Christ, the Cornerstone."

Alexander Hamilton:
• Hamilton began work with the Rev. James Bayard to form the Christian Constitutional Society to help spread over the world the two things which Hamilton said made America great:
(1) Christianity
(2) a Constitution formed under Christianity.
“The Christian Constitutional Society, its object is first: The support of the Christian religion. Second: The support of the United States.”

On July 12, 1804 at his death, Hamilton said, “I have a tender reliance on the mercy of the Almighty, through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a sinner. I look to Him for mercy; pray for me.”

"For my own part, I sincerely esteem it [the Constitution] a system which without the finger of God, never could have been suggested and agreed upon by such a diversity of interests." [1787 after the Constitutional Convention]

"I have carefully examined the evidences of the Christian religion, and if I was sitting as a juror upon its authenticity I would unhesitatingly give my verdict in its favor. I can prove its truth as clearly as any proposition ever submitted to the mind of man."

John Hancock:
• “In circumstances as dark as these, it becomes us, as Men and Christians, to reflect that whilst every prudent measure should be taken to ward off the impending judgments, …at the same time all confidence must be withheld from the means we use; and reposed only on that God rules in the armies of Heaven, and without His whole blessing, the best human counsels are but foolishness… Resolved; …Thursday the 11th of May…to humble themselves before God under the heavy judgments felt and feared, to confess the sins that have deserved them, to implore the Forgiveness of all our transgressions, and a spirit of repentance and reformation …and a Blessing on the … Union of the American Colonies in Defense of their Rights [for which hitherto we desire to thank Almighty God]…That the people of Great Britain and their rulers may have their eyes opened to discern the things that shall make for the peace of the nation…for the redress of America’s many grievances, the restoration of all her invaded liberties, and their security to the latest generations.
"A Day of Fasting, Humiliation and Prayer, with a total abstinence from labor and recreation. Proclamation on April 15, 1775"

link...www.eadshome.com...

more below....

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

What is the point?

You want another 20 page argument like the last one just to cause ill feeling and to create divisions.

seriously dude???

What are you doing?

I have 40 threads started...you?

99percent of them are positive....I'm not the initiator of arguing....not me.

What do you think I'm doing young man?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

EVERYONE, not just skeptics or atheists, should be upset that the government is even doing this.

Remember separation of state and religion?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
So now people need to pray to fix the nations economy, to get over the swain flu, for the nation to get more jobs, stop foreclosures and to save the Big 3 and the banking system.

I guess the burden of the task to fix the nation is weighing heavily on Obama shoulders so hey how about a littler prayer to keep the faith on the man of change alive.

BTW he will need prayer already, as in June he is going to gouge the tax payer again to pay for more bailout money, about 1 trillion more on top of the 6 trillions he already has on his budget and first bailout package.

Yeah pray people and pray a lot.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I didn't say it wasn't based on Christianity, I said they probably based it on a brand of Christianity that has never been practiced. Is that too subtle for you?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join