It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds to seize land in order to build 9/11 memorial by 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Feds to seize land in order to build 9/11 memorial by 2011

The government will begin taking land from seven property owners so that the Flight 93 memorial can be built in time for the 10th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks, the National Park Service said.

In a statement obtained by The Associated Press, the park service said it had teamed up with a group representing the victims' families to work with landowners since before 2005 to acquire the land.

"But with few exceptions, these negotiations have been unsuccessful," said the statement.

Landowners dispute that negotiations have taken place and say they are disappointed at the turn of events.

Follow the link for more...

This may not be a very popular position, but this story is an outrage!

Have we really arrived at a point in out history where the government can take your property so others can express their "sympathies" concerning some historical event?

Ridiculous...Outrageous...Un-American.

:shk:

What a sham we have become.

Our actions are so grotesque, we are barely recognizable as the nation once founded on the principles of freedom.

What mashed potato minds.

Forget the terrorists, obviously the tyrannists have won through a process of conversion.

Let's build a memorial to the death of our Constitution instead. Mourn that in your genetically modified corn fields! And of course, don't forget to bend over.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by loam]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hmm sounds like their turning this into some sort of cult like thing, by that I mean basically treading on peoples rights to build a memorial by hook or by crook. Sure build a memorial and remember the dead but dont become so caught up in it you start to impinge and hurt others who dont have to give you the land in the first place.

Hope people know what im getting at. Since what i wrote sounds a little confusing even for myself

I guess to me its like how the Police and Firemen in NY started to fight each other over whos dead comrades would be pulled out of the rubble first and the like (or at least thats what I remember, I know there was some odd event along that line that made me double take when i heard about it)... it was a tragedy but for crying out loud dont turn the 9/11 dead into some kind of... not sure of the term.

Some of these victims families are a letting their greif get just a little too zealot like. Which is no way to remember a loved one.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
Hmm sounds like their turning this into some sort of cult like thing...Some of these victims families are a letting their greif get just a little too zealot like.

You think?

The article says:

The seven property owners own about 500 acres still needed for what will ultimately be a $58 million, 2,200-acre permanent memorial and national park at the crash site near Shanksville, about 60 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

Does everyone realize how big that is?????

The Pentagon's perimeter covers 34 acres.

If you do the math, they want a memorial that would fit nearly 65 Pentagons!!!

Are they freaking kidding???!!!

:shk:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
58 million dollars for a memorial???????? does anybody else find that price a bit high? thats a lot of money for something that doesnt do anything. if that was my land, there would be heads rolling.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by KommonKnowledge]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by KommonKnowledge

Yes.

Never mind the lean times.

The government must erect evidence for its sympathy to the masses.

Pass the gravy please...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Here is what $58 Million buys you:

From the National Park Service's website:

New Image of Flight 93 National Memorial Unveiled

"The image is an aerial view from the bowl looking towards the Sacred Ground. to the left in the background, a walkway approaches from an arrival court along the edge of and overlooking the Sacred Ground. The walkway eventually widens in from of a ceremonial gate, shown in bronze, and the wall of names, comprised of 40 panels of 3 inch thick slabs of polished white granite, 8 feet tall, each inscribed with a name of the 40 heroes. Two walls flanking the gate are clad in polished white granite and the flight path is paved with black granite. Beyond the gate is the impact site, shown planted with wildflowers, and the hemlock grove beyond." Paul Murdoch, Architect

Sacred Ground?

Not exactly the kind of language you'd expect from a secular buracracy found in the United States government.

The National Park Service uses the term again here.

The Design:

Tower of Voices

At the entrance to the national memorial, rising 93 feet into the sky, will be the Tower of Voices,” containing 40 large wind chimes, evocative of, and a tribute to, the sound of the wind and voices aboard the plane during it’s final moments.

The Field of Honor...

Entry Portal...

40 Memorial Groves...

Ponds...

Sacred Ground

As the final resting place for the passengers and crew of Flight 93, the Sacred Ground is the focus of the Field of Honor. Here is where the plane crashed and a grove of hemlock trees absorbed the impact and inferno. The public can closely view the crash site from a plaza along its edge, which breaks the continuity of the circular Field of Honor.

Western overlook...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Ermm... "Holy Crap!" .... that's all I can really say.

Sacred Ground???? Ceremonial Gate???? Hallowed Ground????

While I understand that these people died stopping the plane from hitting our "Capital" (so they say anyway) it simply bogles the mind that they're taking away someones property that they've worked for/inherited through generations to build an overpriced memorial.

There are tons of "memorials" across our country enumerating the heroic acts of people through the generations. They are small pillars with a bronze plaque on them. Not grandious monuments with pretentious names that evoke thoughts of pagan rituals.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cnichols

Yes.

In fact, compare the above with what the government says about the memorial commemorating Pearl Harbor.

"A Day that will Live in Infamy"

The USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor is "ground zero" where World War II began for the United States. The event where Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto stated: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..."
The USS Arizona serves as the final resting place for many of the battleship's 1,177 crew members who lost their lives on December 7, 1941.

Link.

Odd, isn't it?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Let's build a memorial to the death of our Constitution instead. Mourn that in your genetically modified corn fields! And of course, don't forget to bend over.

S&F. Indeed.

But I won't bend over.

top topics

join