It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voting age = 14?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well apparently that's what they're debating in California. Oh good old California. Here's a link to the article from the Boston Globe:

www.boston.com...

It's my belief that 14 y/os don't have the mental capacity, nor the desire to vote in any election. Whether its local elections like being debated in Cali, or national ones like this cartoon I whipped up.

www.thefalconsnest.net...

What do you all think about this?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
14 year olds are too young. to vote. When I was 14, I knew about politics and I was matrure and smart enough to vote, but the rest of them? They would vote for John Kerry because he is loose on drugs. As one kid put it "Clinton was great prez, he light up MJ in the White House man". No word a lie.

But the states do have the right to alter the voting age, as it says in whatever Amendamnt it is.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
i wonder if 14 year olds are even interested in politics. i certainly wasnt

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
well its california, what do you expect. i say put a bunch of explosives along the fault line and detonate them and just watch california float away. id seriously have no problem with that.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Im 14 and into politics....and at my skool we have arguements over the 2 main candidates....but most of us arent mature enough to vote on anything. Most of em are dumbasses...

Edit...and Eminem for President would ROCK!!!

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
While I agree with you on the standard maturity of 14 year olds, I've been waiting for this since the "tough on crime" crowd started pushing for trying children as adults.

The ornery part of me would be just delighted if some kid, say 14 or 15, was tried as an adult for some crime and acquited, then turned around and sued the state for the right to vote. Reasoning that if he's judged mentally mature enough to bear all the responsibilities of citizenship, he should be mature enough to also bear the rights.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whiskey Jack
The ornery part of me would be just delighted if some kid, say 14 or 15, was tried as an adult for some crime and acquited, then turned around and sued the state for the right to vote. Reasoning that if he's judged mentally mature enough to bear all the responsibilities of citizenship, he should be mature enough to also bear the rights.

Well said, brother!
"What's it gonna be, Mister Pink?"-Joe

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
14 is way to young, early teens are too young to understand politics and it wouldn't be a good idea. Now, 16,that would be a ok, 16 is more mature age and most teens would be old enough to understand politics and that

:w:

top topics

join