It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

787 will be 8% overweight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

The confirmation from Boeing occurs after Bernstein Research recently released a report estimating that early production 787s could be delivered as much as 8% overweight resulting in a range shortfall of 10-15%, putting the 787's range at 12,800km (6,900nm), well below the advertised ranges of 14,200-15,200km.

damn and i thought boeing had got this trainwreck under control at last
(

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
makes me question the quality of 787 , I now will definitely rate it as sub-standard

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

and 25 more cancelled 787 last month , trying to find the same data for airbus A350 cancelled

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Early 787's have been known to be overweight for some time... according to wiki the first was expected to be 2 tons overweight - but 8% is over 8 tons.... Oh well, wonder how much the 7th aircraft will be lighter... 8% is a LOT. to loose. Let's hope this isn't another MD-11, an aircraft which did eventually live up to promises, but only after the damage had been done.

An empty weight increase of 8% reduces range with a payload by 10 - 15 %... wonder how they worked THAT one out.

reply to post by Kombatt98

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. It has 800 orders still....

[edit on 9/5/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
www.flightglobal.com...

and 25 more cancelled 787 last month , trying to find the same data for airbus A350 cancelled

I dont think the A350 has had any canceled orders (at least its newest incarnation)

8% is alot of weight but on the plus side the delays have allowed GE to fine tune the GenX engine and they are talking about a 1-3% improvement in fuel burn which may help offset the weight gain.

However, the change in range could have a signifigant consequences with airlines that were looking at long range city pairs.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Boeing actually only confirmed the 787 was overweight which was already known... the 8% figure came straight from Bernstein Research as did the 6900nm range. Boeing says it will be closer to 8000nm than 7000nm.... IMO, we'll have to wait and see how well it pans out in reality (I don't trust either).

www.bernsteinresearch.com...

Nor is Bernstein Research about aviation, they are investment managers. Report seemed based off the leaked Airbus report. I call bogus

[edit on 9/5/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well it did also mention that was the early versions too, and that there would be changes made at the 20 and 100 airplane mark, and that the first 7 were different due to flight test requirements.

Some of the first 777s were a bit different than the rest too. Thats why at least 777 has already been scrapped, it was quite a bit different than later models, and was deemed too expensive to operate, at least that particular airframe.

Actually same with the early B-1Bs. The first ones made were so different from the rest, that it was thought better to just send those to the Boneyard and use them for parts planes.

The first A380s built will be more overweight and different than later ones made too, especially from wiring issues

[edit on 10-5-2009 by firepilot]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
An empty weight increase of 8% reduces range with a payload by 10 - 15 %... wonder how they worked THAT one out.

A very basic working out would be.
Proposed empty weight 110,000Kg
8% increase is 8800Kg
allow 90Kg for each passenger and baggage.icaodata.com...
250 Passengers
So thats 22500Kg for the passengers and baggage.
With a MTOW weight 220,000Kg that allows 87500Kg for fuel.
8% increase on empty weight is 8800Kg, so that's 10% less fuel it can take which I guess will be about 10% reduction in range.
Now also at any point from it's destination is going to be 8800Kg heavy than it would of been. Which will be 4 - 8% depending on remaining fuel which will further reduce it's range, but by how much is beyond me to work out or guess.

Now they could increase the MTOW after all the 787-9 will have a higher MTOW which will just leave the reduction in range of the bit I can't work out.

top topics

join