It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any astrophysicists out there on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this post would be allowed in this forum if its not please feel free to move it.

I'm currently in the process of enrolling in college and will actually be starting soon but I haven't exactly figured out what I want to major in. I pretty much have my heart and mind set on astrophysics which I know is a long at least 8 or 9 years of schooling but the question I want to ask is if anyone out there on ats is an astrophysicist and if the job is really worth the schooling and work.

In my mind it's worth it to me because I know I would enjoy the work but at the same time I have to think about being able to get the job and I know already there are not many chances to get a job like this out there. And also if I were to get the degree would a job in this field look back as far as seeing that i quit high school and received a ged instead and not hire because of it, I highly doubt this would happen with the phd but I've been wrong. I know I can get this as most of the work will be easy because I'm very booksmart but I just want to know if it's worth it to go the full nine yards for or if I should maybe think strongly or equally about something else.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by seangkt

I'm not an astrophysicist, but you might take a look at this link:

Astronomy as a Profession

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seangkt

I too have a desire to be either an astrophysicist, theoretical physicist, or cosmologist. I a leaning towards cosmologist. The jobs available are mainly government, private research companies, and teaching. It isn't the most lucrative field unless you discover something or win the Nobel prize. But you should always go with your heart over economics if you can.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
You might look up Eric Lerner
en.wikipedia.org...

who is a writer on astrophysics topics and just had graduate work in physics.

He mentions the work of other scientists in the field and
that might help in any direction to take in the field.

That the closest I ever came to the subject except for knowing
from physics courses that help on reading books such as
"Fundamentals of Astrodynamics".

ED: You can also review some of the Journals of Tesla to find
studies on the rotation of the moon, the estimate of 36" of
lead protection of Earth atmosphere that protect us from the
universal radiation he discovered, the Cosmic Rays generated
from high speed particles and more.

[edit on 5/7/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by seangkt

I'm not aware of the salary but I think it's a very cool job at least IMO because astronomy and astrophysics is my new hobby atm and I really like it!

I'm currently investigating the nature of dark matter, and magnetic fields associated with black holes. I don't have my own personal observatory but using public data available from our space observatories like Spitzer and Hubble space telescopes.

It helps that also know the 'smaller stuff' like Earth-bound physics like fluid dynamics or even magnetohydrodynamics and biology. It might help you connect all these things together on how extremely large scale phenomenon can also manifest in daily phenomenon we see. It's important at putting this knowledge to practical everyday use.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
You should at first study physics and then specialize according to your needs/feelings/motivations/interests/... Beware that studying will not be easy. It will be full of math and it will make your brain hurt. But that's just part of the fun. LOL

Dr. Xingili ;-)

[edit on 9-5-2009 by Xingili]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The only thing that matters is, if you can sustain yourself with little money for some years after graduating, then, this field is fine. But, if you need to support your family only with that job, then my advice is to look at other fields. Because the I read that the initial years are tought, especially with the economic crisis, there are less research projects which equates to less jobs in the field.

So, it all depends on you. Wish you luck.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Have you ever tried to email a astrophysicists ?

I would be willing to bet that Dr. Michio Kaku would respond to a email of this nature . I think he would enjoy such a question .

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
That website found in the first reply is pretty cool.
Other than that all I've heard is about how I've got lots of physics ahead of me and that my head is going to hurt. I'm glad I'll have a challenge again if I do end up choosing this.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I majored in astrophysics actually even have a degree for it, but I am a few years of school away from being an astrophysicist. A dream I may one day achieve?

My thoughts, ideas, and research are a little too radical in the eyes of modern science for me to ever be respected in the scientific community. That is if I never find anything of value of course....

But hey who cares right?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

What's the schooling like for it?
Is it rough or is it not as hard if you actually put work into it?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
My thoughts, ideas, and research are a little too radical in the eyes of modern science for me to ever be respected in the scientific community. That is if I never find anything of value of course....

I don't mind radical ideas as long as you are also good at critical thinking...

Critical thinking and radical at the same time? You're in very good shape and some potential
. Now all you need is a bit of hard work.

top topics

join