It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Error 404 page (i want it)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Ok so the Error 404 page that pops up sometimes, like the one that I get when I click on the R.A.T.S. forum (one day I'll have enough points:up

Is there a way that I can save that 404 page and have it as my default when I get a bad link on the internet anywhere instead of the plain internet explorer page?

Just think it'd be cool to have that, ya know?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I think that the error pages on Internet Explorer are inside a DLL file, so there may be no easy way of changing it, but I will look for it, it's an interesting idea.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I agree that this would be cool, but in most cases you never see the 404 error. You're just redirected to another url that tells you that the page you were looking for was not found. Even if you could hack Internet Explorer to give you our own personal 404 page you'd rarely ever see it.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

A 404 Error page is on the server of the site and is directed by an .htaccess file on the server. Sadly you can not forward it to be your default browser error page.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I forgot about this thread.

From what I have seen, the only thing possible is to change the page the browser presents, but if the server presents a 404 page then the browser shows that one and not its own.

Internet Explorer, apparently, has those pages inside one DLL file, so it is needed to change that to change the pages.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Oh man... thats to bad, I really like that 404 page. I'll have to figure out another way to use I guess.

Thanks for all of your help and looking into this for me...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Could try asking SkepticOverlord. I am sure if you asked nicely enough he might let you use it.

After all it is the coolest 404 error on the net.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Guys, I don't know anything about computers but I don't think the ATS 404 error page is an actual 404 error page.

What I mean is, it is just a splash page redirect when one tries to link to a thread or forum that they don't have permission to view. The page itself has ATS links at the top and a google search bar at the bottom.

As such it seems to simply have a 404 graphic and is a simple redirect than an actual 404 error.
Does that make sense?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yes, it does, because that is really what happens.

If the server does not find the page that was requested then two things may happen:
1- It may send a complete HTML page, with images and even some Flash animations
2- It may just send the response 404 to the browser

When (2) happens the browser becomes the responsible for showing some message to the user. Internet Explorer, apparently, has the error pages inside a DLL file, so we cannot just change them easily.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Internet Explorer, apparently, has the error pages inside a DLL file, so we cannot just change them easily.

What about Firefox?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

In Firefox, apparently, it's inside the "toolkit.jar" file, in a file called "netError.xhtml", but I think it also applies to other errors, I haven't checked it yet.

PS: the "toolkit.jar" is in the "chrome" folder and the "netError.xhtml" is in the "content/global/" folder inside that jar file.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
thanks for every1's insite, im second time on, and just got 404, i didn't know what i did or what was happening. i nearly ran outside for 2 blocks around to take a look and see if some1 was there. And the blocks around my house are huge!!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Why am I not allowed to get into R.A.T.S.?
I never really underdtood.
How many points do I need, and how do I receive them?
edit on 23/4/2011 by mikepopy because: add

top topics

join