It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there things that follow sattelites and flash a bright white almost like a camera?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
BigC,

Some satellites rotate in one axis but can continue to point in the same direction since they do not rotate in the other axis. Picture a bullet spinning, but always pointing in the same direction.

Generally junk is spinning in multiple axes, so flashes can be very random and unpredictable. Usually, prolonged flashes are associated with satellites/junk, but there is also the chance of the cause being a "point meteor".

Seeing a meteor move (as described above) is probably unlikely to be related to a near by flash, and just a coincidence. When point meteors are observed, they appear to be stationary or nearly stationary "stars" that appear, brighten, and then fade. When meteors cause flashes, it's usually lower in the atmosphere, so you'd probably see the meteor before the flash.

I've never heard of a case where a flash preceded meteor, although there are many instances where the first thing that catches your eye is a flash when you were not looking at the part of sky where the meteor was seen, but in cases where you are looking at an area of the sky, and get to see the whole event, the meteor can always be seen prior to a flash. Flashes are caused when the meteor fragments or explodes, and this happens when the forces acting on the meteor become excessive ie. when it hits relatively thick atmosphere.

There are certain groups of satellites that travel together in formation (usually military/classified) that would explain the other observation mentioned above. I have personally seen a tri-satellite formation on one occasion.

As said above, rotation is the most likely cause for a satellite/junk appearing to fade in and out.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I've heard about the satellites you're talking about that move in a set of three.
I believe I read somewhere they are a navy spy sat or something.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by seangkt

It's not unheard of. I've mentioned it on here before, and I know other experienced observes have seen them. There was a group who monitored these formations as well as other classified satellites, exchanging information between each other, but I believe they no longer communicate in public since they came to an agreement with the military.

I think it's generally accepted that these formations are now mostly obsolete (there have been sighting of them for decades now) and they have been/are being replaced with "stelth-sats" which are virtually impossible to see with the naked eye. However, they continue to be seen in the sky, so at least some may still be operational.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join