It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC: Now, public is too complacent about flu!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
And, why wouldn't the public be??? Numerous posts on ATS have confirmed that: they are ignored in clinics if they request a test, the "official" (CDC, WHO, MSM) statistics are contradictory, the severity is contradictory (personal or local reports specifying more severe cases, more antibiotics prescribed than expected, and more hospitalization than reported from THEM), we could go on forever...(we'd expect some mistakes in a "crisis", but come on!). Oh, now that everyone is focused-back on the world as is and is not panic-stricken they assert this:

US public at risk from complacency over flu -CDC 06 May 2009 23:07:37 GMT
Source: Reuters
(For full coverage of the flu outbreak, click [nFLU])

* As fear of flu subsides, CDC concerned about complacency

* CDC officials worried H1N1 could return in the fall

By Matthew Bigg

ATLANTA, May 6 (Reuters) - The U.S. public could become more vulnerable to a flu pandemic if complacency about the need for heightened vigilance sets in, health experts said on Wednesday.

Those concerns would escalate if the H1N1 virus that has killed two people in the United States and made 642 others sick mutates into a more virulent form by the start of the traditional flu season in the fall.

In all, there are 1,516 confirmed cases of the swine flu virus in 22 countries, according to the U.N. World Health Organization.

But in the United States fear about flu appears to have subsided since the epidemic came to public attention more than two weeks ago because many cases appear to be mild.

"The risk of complacency, or a sense that we have weathered this, is a serious one," said Stephen Redd, director of Influenza Coordination at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

"What we are going to be looking very hard at over the months to come is what's happening in other parts of the world and really trying to understand whether we would be at risk for a resurgence in the fall," Redd said.

CDC officials say they walk a fine line between ramping up public warnings to encourage people to take precautions such as washing hands while not adopting an alarmist posture that could risk their authority as the epidemic persists.

In one small sign of waning public interest in the flu threat, nationally syndicated talk show host Neal Boortz told his audience recently that the issue of flu was getting "really overblown."

New York has seen 97 cases of H1N1 flu, though most have been mild, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he was aware of the need to calibrate warnings to the public.

"There is always that danger (of crying wolf)," said Bloomberg in an interview. "There is always the danger of over-reacting (but) government has the responsibility to tell people what's going on and what to do about it."

"When I start talking in New York about disease ... the first thing I say is: 'I'm going to tell you what we know and what we don't know. And I'm not going to speculate on anything between," Bloomberg said.

I admit I haven't kept up with Bloomberg, and imo here he sounds rational here but I'd like to hear from NYers about him, and please check out these theads on ATS now...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

note: u2u me if you want more

The PTB are hecka monsters...and if they think we are about complacency, then they are to blame...warn us again when you're willing to tell the WHOLE truth

`sj

[edit on 6-5-2009 by sonjah1]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Have no fear, no fear, regardless of what becomes of this flu fiasco. It's the fear they seem to want and need and feed off of. Screw them, screw the CDC and the WHO. I don't trust them to be honest.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I see their point and this makes total sense.

What is wrong with washing your hands or promoting the idea?

Of course this flu could mutate. That is what flu viruses do, and do very well. Then they come back during, guess what? Wait for the conspiracy.....

Flu season, how tricky that a flu would re-emerge during flu season, who would have ever guessed that.

Pure evil I tell you. How dare they suggest we wash our hands and take personal hygiene steps to avoid the flu?!!!?!1111

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think the reason patients are getting turned away is just the sheer volume.

A lot of people are in perfectly fine health and go into clinics to be screened, just due to the hysteria caused by the media.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Not a good time to be a hypochondriac, especially one reading ATS!

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Neither do I and thus this thread...

If you have any other reliable alternative news sources please post them or U2U.

many thanks

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FrankWhite222

Kudos to you for realizing...

thank God for forums like this so that we can have other views than the passive massives

I was hoping this new sensationalized swine flu thread would go away....too scary...but now it's just like putting lightbulbs up...thnx for your post, haha

~sj

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

But remember they are being too complacent...lol

Then if they have only minimal symptoms, why are they being given antibiotics?!?!

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonjah1
reply to post by Miraj

But remember they are being too complacent...lol

Then if they have only minimal symptoms, why are they being given antibiotics?!?!

Doctors are idiots sometimes. It seems that years of medical school still won't give you common sense.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

But seriously, if you just look on this small ATS sample size, many have been prescribed antibiotics and very few tamiflu...which I thought the govt. was really trying to push?

Do regular doctors/clinics have to go through a certain test before they can prescribe the tamiflu (or are they smart enough not to)? OR are they taking this very seriously to avoid (especially if onset of symptoms was>48 hours ago) secondary infections like respiratory, pneumonia?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Anyone with a minimal knowledge of viruses knows that you do not treat viral diseases with antibiotics , ever.

A clue to this is the anti - bio part ( anti - life ) , well viruses are not considered living beings , they are obligatory intra cellular parasites , they show no action unless inside a cell.

Anti-biotics are use to kill bacteria and other kinds of parasites.

In viral infection all you can do is alleviate the symptons and let the body do its thing.

They do not need to enforce things such as "washing hands?" or "care about the hygienis?" , you do not need a pandemic state (in which we are not by the way...) to have people do these things. That is just something we have to do ALWAYS.

There is nothing wrong with promoting the idea , only that it is completely unecessary , unless you live in a tribal country.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrankWhite222
I see their point and this makes total sense.

What is wrong with washing your hands or promoting the idea?

Of course this flu could mutate. That is what flu viruses do, and do very well. Then they come back during, guess what? Wait for the conspiracy.....

Flu season, how tricky that a flu would re-emerge during flu season, who would have ever guessed that.

Pure evil I tell you. How dare they suggest we wash our hands and take personal hygiene steps to avoid the flu?!!!?!1111

What are you talking about man ? - over-cleansing and sterilising yourself only serves to rob your body's immune system of practice and, in the end, leaving you vulnerable to stronger attacks. The viruses and bacteria that attack us are merely different life-forms striving to exist and evolve. They evolve and so should we, the only reason they want us to sterilize ourselves so much is to make us totally dependant on their pharmaceuticals. Surely you can see that, hence why all the illness in Africa - to scare the crap out of us into sterilizing everything and dousing ourselves in anti-bacterials, all the while strengthening the bacteria and viruses and leaving us weaker and weaker. Funny how these illnesses where never a problem in the ancient world, imagine if Ebola had existed in ancient times, human beings would have been totally wiped out. Thats how you know all those diseases in Africa are manufactured. Years of civilisation existed in the same way before, then suddenly all these illnesses start plagueing the people there because of poor living conditions and poor hygeine ? .. please... Hygeine never caused tribes to die, it gave them the strength to survive in their environment.

[edit on 5/7/09 by mortalengine]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Roufas

I know that antibiotics are only supposed to be for bacterial infections--not viruses like the common cold and flu...

My point is that if so many MDs are prescribing them for self-reported viral symptoms (without testing individuals for flu), why?

MSM, CDC, WHO all claim it is a mild strain of flu--yet the medical community seems to be making an assumption that secondary infections are to be expected (thus more severe strain)

I'm obviously not a MD or scientist, so does anyone know if a virus could have an add-on of a bacterial agent (i.e., like that kind of germ warfare?)

~sj

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mortalengine

I believe that there is at least an ounce of truth to what you're saying here. Case in point: someone very dear to me grew up in a 3rd world Mid East country. He was in contact with so many illnesses over there, cholera, malaria, etc. when he was a kid...then he moved to the US permanently, and his immune system is very strong. He never gets ill.

~

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Why? They say so right in the article:

CDC officials say they walk a fine line between ramping up public warnings to encourage people to take precautions such as washing hands while not adopting an alarmist posture that could risk their authority as the epidemic persists.

They are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If the produce warnings, people panic and swamp hospitals with stupid symptoms, and people accuse them of blowing it out of proportion. If they do nothing, then when it hits like a mack-truck later this year, they get blamed for not being prepared or doing enough.

They do indeed, walk a fine line. Just look at reactions on this board to see how chaotic and wavering opinions are.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I can't deny the flurry of activity and massive postings re: swine flu on this website, but remember that this is a website dedicated to alternative media and reaching beyond what the PTB and the MSM assert, often without support.

I said in the initial post that in a time of uncertaintly, of course *some* errors would be expected from CDC, WHO, etc. But if you look at the data produced and publicized, there are just too many inconsistencies and in my honest opinion I don't think we are being told the whole truth about this.

I'll keep searching for answers regarding inconsistencies just as you'll keep giving the PTB the benefit of the doubt--

You do make a good point...they are damned if they do or if they don't, but *in true logic* that is known as a false dilemma....

~sj

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

If we are being too "complacent" then we're in very big trouble, IMHO:

www.cbc.ca...

new topics

top topics

join