It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison Awaiting Hostile Bloggers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Proposed Congressional Legislation would demand up to 2 years in prison for those whose electronic speech is meant to "coerce, intimidate , harass , or cause substantial emotional distress to a person".

The measure H R 1966 , is labeled the Megan Meier Cyberbullying Prevention Act.
It is designed to target the behavior that led to last years suicide of the 13 year old Meier.

I can see the meaning behind this Act. But the scope of it seems much to broad , and I can see abuses or Stretches of the Act . It can cover a spectrum that can even
see Critizism as an abuse , if the receiver has thin skin and feels attacked.www.wired.com...

[edit on 6-5-2009 by Seany]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

I read the bill in its entirety, and what is interesting, is that this bill could be used against telemarketers who repeatedly attempt to sell to someone. Maybe some good could come from this bill!

In fact, this bill could be applied to spam, because the terms used are subject to interpretation.

This is a typical knee-jerk reaction bill, to a very tragic event that took place. This sort of action allows congressional reps to pretend to care what happens to citizens, as they craft bills to steal what freedom and money that haven't already taken from us.

thomas.loc.gov...:H.R.1966:

Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication, with the intent to coerce, intimidate, harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person, using electronic means to support severe, repeated, and hostile behavior, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

After I hit the Submit button , I too was wondering something.

I wonder If someone in a site such as ATS could claim "undo duress".

There are certainly "heated discussions " and at times you see people posting,

Stop The Bulllying

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I have read this as well.
Can we interpret this to include phone and credit card companies that outsource labor forces to call upon us daily?
There is quite a bit of coercion involved here.
And will this be enforced???

Peace...

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
You can receive 15 years imprisonment for felony check fraud in some states, yet rarely anyone receives it.

Same premise here.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Finally a law that targets bill collectors. They would definitely fall under those guide lines.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
no.
collection law and regulations are well established and this would not....
oh heck...look...the 8th amendment, "cruel and unusual punishment" basically deals with the death penalty.....Can't you think of a zillion other cruel and unusual punishments that could qualify? Don't you think there is a reason there aren't a zillion cases dealing with the 8th amendment?
...."demand up to two years" that seems a bit "spun" it could mean 1 day.
Prosecutors know, understand, what this bill or potential statute means.
collection people are not going down under this.
But my friend is right....this is a typical "knee jerk" reaction and is politicaly motivated (nothing new) gee, voters, I care.
This is a superfulous (damn if I could only spell) bill. We have many laws that would cover this area already.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Furthermore, the bill has been referred to committee, where it will most probably die. My comments about the telemarketers was a tongue-in-cheek remark, more to reveal the horrendous wording of this knee-jerk bill. Congressional reps aren't really noted for their intelligence.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Sounds like another law with vaguely defined terms and guidelines to incarcerate people on as little evidence as possible. Wonder if this post is breaking any rules?

TA

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

While Im ok with your post

Your Avatar is intimiating me

Your on report

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
so vage this is wide open for abuse by the powers that be

how long until its illegal to disagree with another person...hmm not to long by the looks of things i`m thinking

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I thought blogging was just a computer thing, like on Facebook or MSN
those types of forums ? I am not a twitter or texter , so not "up to speed " on
what "blogging " is exactly

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seany

I thought blogging was just a computer thing, like on Facebook or MSN
those types of forums ? I am not a twitter or texter , so not "up to speed " on
what "blogging " is exactly

seeing as this is soething we all are involved with, I want to see some other comments on this

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Just another example of a *do-gooder* act.

Something where the parent should have been monitoring their child (the 13 year old that committed suicide) and didn’t, but now to save all the other wee little children out there (who’s parents are not doing their job) - everyone has to pa y the price - and - it results in the biggest atrocity to happen yet in the USA (besides Constitutional free zones) - more freedom of speech being ripped right from our throats!

This is so disgusting I just can’t stand it.

peace

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
reply to post by Seany

thomas.loc.gov...:H.R.1966:

Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication, with the intent to coerce, intimidate, harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person, using electronic means to support severe, repeated, and hostile behavior, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Fox News/CNN/NBC intimidate me and cause me substantial emotional stress.
So much so, that I can no longer watch them anymore!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Wow, I was in hopes to find a lot of comments here this morning.
Hmmm, can I bust you all out for NOT posting?
I’m not a member of any SN - and never plan to be - but I would like to know if this ever could or would apply to ATS.
(ATS isn’t considered a SN is it)?

peace

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I’m not a member of any SN - and never plan to be - but I would like to know if this ever could or would apply to ATS.

peace

Yes my freind , I would like that answered as well
this is at the heart of ATS , or not

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seany
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

After I hit the Submit button , I too was wondering something.

I wonder If someone in a site such as ATS could claim "undo duress".

There are certainly "heated discussions " and at times you see people posting,

Stop The Bulllying

I agree ... For those that don't have one...

Grow a spine! ONE tragic event doesn't make it OK (or legal, although they are trying) to punish the rest of us. You get one chance at this life. Yes this is as real as it gets.

If you know that other people, real, honest, caring, loving people that care about their fellow human beings regardless of race, religion etc... It's in our best interest to encourage debate and free thinking. AND slap (figuratively) around others when they need it. Not bully others. So, don't get me wrong.

For those that refuse to grow a spine or think for themselves; Eat # and Die. Go away and bury your head. Fear Kills. Ignorance Kills.

If they want to do anything 'legal' do it to the perpetrator.

[edit on 5·8·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
That is very interesting, especially considering that I just heard that facebook is considering banning all "holocaust deniers" as these individuals "perpetuate hate" and may "insight violence".

Brian Cuban, who is of Russian Jewish descent, has written about his fight to have the Holocaust-denial pages removed on his site, The Cuban Revolution.

He said he contacted Facebook after a conversation with a friend who runs the Jewish Internet Defense Force, a group that monitors and tries to eradicate anti-Semitic online content.

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 8-5-2009 by searching4truth]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

peace

Im surprised for people that enjoy time at the comp, this question wasn't answered , as it may affect this site , or not

top topics

join