It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making A Book! Need Stories!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I'm the owner of Clegg Publishings (www.cleggpublishings.com). I'm wanting to publish a book on conspiracies, secrets, etc. I want the book to have content in it like AboveTopSecret does. I want the book to contain some information, stories, official documents, etc.

If you want to write something about Area 51, UFO's, Secret Government Agencies, etc. for the Book, your name and website (if you have one) will gladly be recognized in the book. If your interested, send me a private message And I will get back too you. ALSO, any ideas for the book and it's content would be appreciated. I'm open to all ideas, this is just the "Planning" phase of the project.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Give us some details, Chris.

Submission Guidelines?
Query response time?
Pays in copies?
Means of distribution?
POD publishing?
Rights bought?

Come on, man. Details.

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by 23rd_Degree]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'm interested whether or not you will give proper citation and credit to those who do offer "ideas" that you will or may use in this 'book'?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Full Credit will be given to anyone who does something for the book. I dont know much about conspiracies, etc. because I am just learning, however I find it VERY interesting, and would love to make a book about it. I like how ATS has their content, simple, and easy to understand to someone who has no idea about things, I would want the book to be similiar to ATS. Have Sections such as "Government Agencies, Facilities, etc.". And then Sub-Categories of that. Anyone who would want to write something on say for example, Area 51, Or a Government Agency, Your name would go right underneath, and if you have a website, Your websites URL would go right underneath your name. I am not looking to pay people, just seeing if anyone would want to write something and have their name and website url published in the book? I'm not a huge publisher, I dont sell in stores like Barnes and Noble, Borders, Etc. YET... right now my only source of distributing the books is online.

I'm looking for ideas, or guidance from anyone who is experienced in this subject.. all I know is how to design, publish, and advertise, lol. Thanks.

***UPDATE***
I was actually planning on Contacing ATS Owners, and seeing if they wanted to do a book. All their content in the book, And then they would have a full page in the book saying "All Content Provided by AboveTopSecret.com, for more information please Visit AboveTopSecret.com", But I didn't know if that would work. Hehe.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Chris0530]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Why not make an anthology of some of the works of ATS writers? our fiction community is vibrant, and alive and all that. Just a thought.

DE

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Good Idea, Would I be allowed to do that?

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chris0530
Good Idea, Would I be allowed to do that?

I gather you're new to the publishing game, then?

Yes, you can, with permission. You'll need contracts stating what you are offering the author along with permission forms. Since these have been already published, you'll have to negotiate which rights you want (first rights and world rights are already gone) and where and how you will be distributing the material. You'll need an editor and to decide whether you're gong to compilation copyright the book under your publishing house name or under the editor's name.

If there's money involved, you'll need to determine a per-word rate (per-page rates are difficult to assess and depend on the product size) or a per story rate. You'll want a quit clause in any contract so that full rights reversions occur. You'll need to be able to make your accounting books (how much money came in and went out and how many books sold) open to any authors if there's distribution of royalties.

If you're going for web publication, of course, you'll need a different approach depending on the frequency of the publication and other factors but you still need to establish your copyright and what rights you are getting from the authors and the term limit of those rights. Your authors will want to know this.

(Yes, I have and do write professionally and yes, I've done small press publishing as well.)

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chris0530
I want the book to contain some information, stories, official documents, etc.

Watch your hindquarters on the last one. Steve Jackson (of Steve Jackson Games) has a whole long tale of "war stories" about what happens when one of your authors gets their hands on "sensitive material" and decides that it should be published.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Just a thought...

I suggest that if your would like to look for specific info, conspiracies, hidden government agendas etc. use the search button to look up on them. Then you could u2u the main contributors to each topic so you could ask them for the info you need. That is, if they would want to, which IMO they would(who wouldn't want their name immortalised in a book?)

new topics

top topics

join