It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shopper asked for proof of age to buy Asda teaspoons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

Some common sense.
Obviously a bar code error and a very ill informed cashier.
There is no conspiracy, no NWO tactics....just an amusing mistake.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
It leaves ladels as a threat to the entire nation, nay, the very world itself. In every home across the planet, kitchen utensils conspire together to overthrow humanity in an orgy of cereal-eating-related accidents.

This country is a joke, so why not make some more?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I must thank the Staff in ALL supermarkets that take notice of our wellfare , after all we are so totally inept at looking after ourselves, aren't we ?
I mean I nearly slashed my wrists open by having a papercut once, I also nearly suffocated sealing envelopes with selotape, that was really nasty that one, the tape left the reel and got stuck to my fingers , it COULD have ended up lodged in my mouth blocking my airways.
The fact that there are guns and knives of the streets of the world , bombs and viruses in the hands of terrorists and Governments alike and that some people drive their cars whilst intoxicated , maybe we should ban the dangerous items first , hell yeah , ban teaspoons and staples, and paperclips , followed by I dunno , maybe pencils or rubber bands?
Then maybe start on the impliments of war?

edited to add:

Barcode error or not, surely these 'barely trained' staff have an ounce of common sense? can't tell the difference between a spoon and a knife? if the till says 'check the offensive weapons aspect' and its clearly a SPOON or 'Am I over the age of 18 aspect for lighters, glue or kitchen utensils when I'm clearly an middleaged man with greying hair then please don't insult my intelligence or YOURS by asking me an obviously stupid question.

[edit on 7/5/09 by DataWraith]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Apparently he was told to "steal the rhythm while you can"

Some footage at the start of offensive weapons (spoons)

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

I watched Jason Bourne kill someone with a magazine and a pen in one of the films

Ahh, but the pen is mightier than the sword...
(Couldn’t resist)...

Ok so your thread just makes me want to be sick - and why - because nobody is going to do a damn thing about it.
I’m really to the point where I feel the UK is getting exactly what they deserve.
Don't do anything about it - just wait - cause believe it or not - it’s going to get worse...

Poor Grand Britannia...

peace

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Whilst there's some obvious humour on this thread, some of the replies make me wonder whether people actually read the story to the very end. Only a few weeks ago a bought a quiche which had the wrong bar code on it which caused some cognitive dissonance for the young woman on the till which was only ended when a more senior member of staff jabbed some keys on the till.

Now whilst it is easy to knock these members of staff, ultimately they don't deserve much of the criticism they get from any of us. They are the front-line cannon-fodder for failings that originate far higher in the chain of command; often in some nice office far, far away from the grubby proletariat that actually patronise the shop as well as Tracy, Lorraine and Jo on the till itself.

Their training is minimal and they're discouraged from taking too many initiatives themselves or deviating too far from flow diagrams of 'discourse' and 'productivity'. There's no team-building weekends for the likes of Tracy, Lorraine and Jo, nor the encouragement of 'blue sky' and 'joined-up' thinking, which tends to be limited to men and ladies in suits who haven't had to encounter an angry customer since that 'shop floor' exercise one afternoon a few years ago.

Bar code errors are not Tracy, Lorraine and Jo's fault and they disrupt the flow of their day as much as it does yours. Similarly, the ID-schemes that seem so ludicrous to us will also seem ludicrous to them too.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

This was just a mistake, there is no such law in this country, so don't worry.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Wow! So death by teaspoon?? I swear it never seems to amaze me what crazy laws people come up with. I was buying glue for my rear view mirror and got carded! I was also carded for a lighter a couple weeks ago and I am 30! I guess lighting candles in a crime or something. This is just ridiculous!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I'm surprised no ones heard of this type of thing happening before; I thought it was common knowledge that you have to be 18 to buy spoons. I have been about ID'd for them about 3 times now. I always assumed it was because of the whole heating up drugs on them thing.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

Perhaps they are trying to keep The Blue Raja copycats from running amok. Just think of what kind of damage could be done while wielding a pie spatula!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Tea Spoons don't kill people. People kill people.

National Tea Spoon Association.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
i wonder if nanny state uk will make a law for all persons to use a zimma frame when out walking, i mean walking can lead to falling over

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Quote the Simpsons: "You call that a knife..THIS is a knife".."Thats not a knife its a Spoon", "I see you've Played Knifey Spooney before."

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

yes poor brits don't do anything. now look at our laws and ways they are thought and how nobody here will barley stand up for anything execpt their welfare card. gov's worldwide a nothing but a joke. i am a created being,not from a test tube and i say foff to all gov's ours top of the list.

the patriot act must be repealled!now

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I love it when posters from the UK are all over us in the U.S. because of our laws and politicians while they are submitting voluntarily it seems to this kind of BS in their own country.

And all the "sheeple" responses from people in the UK saying in effect, "Nothing to see here. Just queue up and move (shuffle) along."

What's happened to the (formerly) tough people in the UK? Clean up your own house first before talking to us about ours!

[edit on 5/7/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I think the point is that people, like yourself, are coming in and posting absolute crap about an entire country or people, without reading the story in full or the thread.

This was a barcode mistake..... perhaps it came up as a massive kitchen knife, product with solvent or alcohol or whatever.
The sales assistant then just bluffed a reason for the ID request.

how about reading a thread and all the posts before spewing nonsense like you have just done.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'd love to take one of these bliss ninnies out shopping for my next AR-15 and a thousand rounds of 5.56mm ammunition.

The rifle wouldn't kill them but the shock would.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Ahahaha quite funny
and yes, just a mix-up at the till - clearly a case of retail brain-rot. (Working retail does that to you after a while, I know!)

Though mind you, a friend of mine who is a Vietnam vet told me that when he was in the service all you really needed was a Towel and a Spoon. Anybody who's read Hitchhikers Guide knows why a towel is important, but maybe spoons are more deadly than we realize .... ....

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I think the point is that people, like yourself, are coming in and posting absolute crap about an entire country or people, without reading the story in full or the thread.

This was a barcode mistake..... perhaps it came up as a massive kitchen knife, product with solvent or alcohol or whatever.
The sales assistant then just bluffed a reason for the ID request.

how about reading a thread and all the posts before spewing nonsense like you have just done.

Nonsense? Thanks for verifying my point about "sheeple" in the UK.

In the U.S. we can still buy any of the products you listed and more without being carded!. But you seemed to have just rolled over and accepted it there.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Yeah centurion I really envy you with your 70% tax, no ammo for your guns and a country 2 meals away from riots. Not everything is rosy in America either and I have never seen any anti american comments on here against the people, only agaist the Politics and gun nuts. There is a lot of people in the UK angry about the way things are going however rather than stick around, building tin pot comunities in the hillls, most of the smarter workers and people are talking with their feet and leaving. Im currently looking at several options in Australia, Japan and New Zeland, the Nanny State can shove its way of life up its arse

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join