It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shopper asked for proof of age to buy Asda teaspoons

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by suziwong

Nanny State UK - Must be Over 18 to Buy Teaspoons ??

www.telegraph.co.uk

"A shopper was left baffled after she went to Asda to stock up on picnic equipment and was asked for proof of age to buy a set of teaspoons."
"The shop assistant reportedly informed the customer that someone had once been murdered with a teaspoon, and therefore age identification was now required."
(visit the link for the full news article)

I currently work as a seasonal colleague in one of these soulless green giants. I have to say, that's probably an actual quote from some of the till staff missing a chromosome or so. The fact that they probably weren't fired or cautioned is more amusing, but yes, asda has some very funny policies indeed.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety

My solution:
1. Get some acid and burn your fingerprints
2. Rip out your eyeballs and learn braile
3. Don't know about DNA, any suggestions?

1. pineapple dose that aswel not so painful
2.or use the acid i just saved ya
3.i think gamma rays can do this, a weekend in chernobyl perhapse

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
If you have to be 18 to buy a spoon, how old would you have to be to buy a plastic spork? Or, moving up on the weapons list, a plastic fork?

Sad that the cashier went along with it. Does one have to be eighteen to buy a hammer? Tire iron? Baseball bat, although they probably sell few of those in the U.K., so cricket bat then?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

I am laughing til I cried, or should that be crying til I laughed?

The next thing is that we will have our hands chopped off, because you can kill someone with your hands.

While they're about it, may as well remove the feet, just in case.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I guess if some one were to pass out drunk and you were to put a super plus down their throat and wait for it to expand, it could be considered a lethal weapon. But carding for regulars, gimme a break... That's so obviously a NWO thing.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
What will they think of next?

Perhaps ban sales of apples and oranges to anyone under 18 as someone may use them in a drive-by fruiting?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
ooh I got one of these!!

The landlady to my local pub, went in to Marks and Spencer, and in the bits she bought, was a foot file (for tough skin on the heel) Now, bearing in mind that she's 42, she was asked for ID to prove she was over 25, for a foot file!!! Utterly bonkers.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Suppose he hasn't got a teaspoon, suppose he's got a pointed stick!

How are we supposed to defend ourselves if they've gotten a hold of a pointed stick?

lol. Monty Python.

That's probably one of the more bizarre news bits I've read in a while.

Next it'll be mandatory to wrap the sidewalk in packing foam.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by johnsky]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Hey! Now there's an idea. Nobody is gonna sneak up on you in the dark if the sidewalks are covered in bubblewrap.

Mods - delete post if necessary - we don't wanna be putting ideas in the heads of any government types lurking on here.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by Britguy]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
So certain teaspoons happen to (accidentally) trigger ID Required flashes?

What about teacups?
Teacups kill you know.
(slightly desynced)

[edit on 7/5/09 by -0mega-]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Why should I have to have an ID to buy a spoon?

There is no spoon.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by milesp]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
A spoon? Really? As dangerous as a knife?

As others have said what about baseball bats, or hey what about getting some lumber from a local hardware store? A piece of wood is a deadly weapon! What about moving on to really dangerous stuff? All the chemicals you need to make some very powerful explosives are available in most large hardware stores, some of the chemicals can be gotten from camping stores as well. So why not ban these? Oh hey ban the chemistry books as they teach you to make them as well!

It's getting silly now, it really is.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
A spoon? Really? As dangerous as a knife?

As others have said what about baseball bats, or hey what about getting some lumber from a local hardware store? A piece of wood is a deadly weapon! What about moving on to really dangerous stuff? All the chemicals you need to make some very powerful explosives are available in most large hardware stores, some of the chemicals can be gotten from camping stores as well. So why not ban these? Oh hey ban the chemistry books as they teach you to make them as well!

It's getting silly now, it really is.

Actually in The Netherlands there are some laws concerning baseball bats and other ''combat-effective'' tools.

It simply states that whilst you're free to buy a baseball bat, you're not allowed to walk around the city actually holding it and/or swinging it around. (Probably because it gives an incentive to officers to arrest you, since you might be planning to smash someone's face / property.)

Same goes for swords, allowed to buy them, but if you want to move them somewhere (eg.: baseball practice / kendo) you need to store it in a bag, or any other way so that you do not have direct instant access to it.

[edit on 7/5/09 by -0mega-]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

Forgive me but that's just silly. So if you're walking to the park to play a game of baseball with your mates you can't carry the bat with you? What kind of container could you put it in where you don't have easy access? A large sports bag is a bit much to carry a bat.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
So you can't buy a spoon till you turn 18 in the UK, but I think over there you can buy a ligher and gas at 16 right? Spoon must be more dangerous...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Was it Vin Diesel buying the spoon? Do they also refuse to sell him teacups?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I want to know how does one go about murdering someone with a teaspoon?
What would the mechanics of such an operation be?
All i can think of is delivering poison or building some sort of elaborate launching device.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ivzm

Offhand, I would say repeated blunt force trauma; assuming of course the victim is enfeebled enough by following the laws in so much that they consider fighting back or even asking you to stop to be a crime.

Or it could be that someone with no humor decided the old joke about a person getting a stabbing pain in their eye every time they drink tea because they did not remove the spoon needed a law on the books to protect them.

Ultimately we will know that it is truly a nanny state when the song "A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down" is edited out of copies of Marry Poppins due to mentioning such a lethal weapon in a jovial manner.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ivzm

Spoons contribute to the rising obesity levels in our society today.

They also play a significant role in the intake of calorie-rich beverages.

If you ever see the torture cartoons given to US soldiers to know what Al quaeda will do to them upon capture, you will notice that spoons are used for eye removal and torture.

The 19 hijackers from 9/11 also used spoons in the days and weeks prior to their dastardly deed.

*I'm not saying I agree with IDing people who wish to purchase spoons, but if it saves just one life then maybe it is worth it in the end....

How much is a human life worth? - far more than a spoon, that's for sure.

The fact that our country lacks a National Spoon Registry is shameful and indicative of Governmental Negligence on a vast scale and quite frankly, it puts us all at risk of descending into anarchy.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Can i just ask, if spoons need ID to buy as they are so deadly then where does this leave ladels?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join