It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shopper asked for proof of age to buy Asda teaspoons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Shopper asked for proof of age to buy Asda teaspoons

www.telegraph.co.uk

"A shopper was left baffled after she went to Asda to stock up on picnic equipment and was asked for proof of age to buy a set of teaspoons."
"The shop assistant reportedly informed the customer that someone had once been murdered with a teaspoon, and therefore age identification was now required."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Hahaha This is like a sketch out of a comedy !!!

How can anyone deny we live in a nanny state - it is getting so so so naffing ridiculous

Caught in possesion of a deadly teaspoon - obviously a terrorist - get the tazers out !

I watched Jason Bourne kill someone with a magazine and a pen in one of the films - how far can they take this line of insanity

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Does this policy mean that a)people over a certain arbitrary age do not commit murder or that b)murder committed under a certain arbitrary age is only possible with spoons?

This seems hysterical but in all actuality there is simply nothing funny about a people so eager or willing to live in tyranny no matter how frivolous or even well-intentioned that tyranny may appear to be.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Better not sell any dental floss either, might be used to choke someone! Come on people. Guess they want us all behind bars, like prisoners , so that no one can harm anyone, making us sign for our toilet paper.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I do believe that this is one of the few articles I've read in recent memory that made me laugh and shake my head at the ridiculousness of it all. Death by spoon?

Most likely a bar code mixup as suggested by the manager they interviewed. What gets me though is that the cashier just explained it away as though it made perfect sense that she should be carding someone for spoons.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaWhat gets me though is that the cashier just explained it away as though it made perfect sense that she should be carding someone for spoons.

The mind of a slave. Everything government does makes perfect sense and makes my life that much better.

They don't question the most insane things and will generally go out of their way to rationalize the madness. Eventually they can't live without it the madness and simply cannot comprehend life without said madness. The mass of Americans who believe the extortion of their property pays for the sunshine for instance. For the slaves life cannot exist without the shackles they have come to know and love.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I for one am glad this has come about. It's high time we had serial numbers etched on teaspoons, and BTW, a three day waiting period isn't a bad thought either.

Time to get these weapons off the street.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well what do you expect from our good friends in the UK. They would probably make it a crime to buy spoons for everyone but the Muslims, because you dont want to be insensitive to their religious beliefs.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I don't know if you guys are taking this seriously or not. Teaspoons are very dangerous weapons, until you've been stabbed to death with a teaspoon this is no laughing matter.

I've been ID for permanent markers, glue, cigs, aerosal (needed it for the computer keyboard) alot of stuff, but I swear in the US if anyone ID's me for teaspoons, I might just slap the fello!

I'm glad I read this, let's me know there is no inteligent life on earth.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This is a good case, it shows the illogical process that formulates laws. The same illogical process was used for formulating drug laws.

Even if a prohibitionist feels that drug use is a danger to its user, and possibly to those around them, they still have to agree that the Government has a right to tell a person what is good and what isn't good for them.

A person can display all the attributes of a drug user, without ever using drugs. They could be a horrible worker/student, live unhealthy, neglect family, and be completely unamerican, but is it the governments job to tell him what to do? It's not. If he does all those things cause he is addicted to computer games, should computer games be outlawed?

Does everyone see the illogical thought process that goes into this?

It would also be interesting to note, did she try and buy any butter knives? Would she be ID'd for butter knives as well?

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
In England, if you buy an old VHS video recorder, you need to give them your details so they can send them to BBC license.

Asking for ID for cutlery isn't really that surprising, it's all just a game of data acquisition.

Today, the UK g'ment have gone ahead with the ID card in Manchester and even have the audacity to ask 'volunteers' to pay £60!

The lock down begins in ever so small baby steps. It wouldn't surprise me if your breath contained RFID nanobots and you'd get flagged for dissension or treason, if you enter areas without being on 'the system'.

My solution:
1. Get some acid and burn your fingerprints
2. Rip out your eyeballs and learn braile
3. Don't know about DNA, any suggestions?

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
This is a good case, it shows the illogical process that formulates laws. The same illogical process was used for formulating drug laws.

Even if a prohibitionist feels that drug use is a danger to its user, and possibly to those around them, they still have to agree that the Government has a right to tell a person what is good and what isn't good for them.

A person can display all the attributes of a drug user, without ever using drugs. They could be a horrible worker/student, live unhealthy, neglect family, and be completely unamerican, but is it the governments job to tell him what to do? It's not. If he does all those things cause he is addicted to computer games, should computer games be outlawed?

Does everyone see the illogical thought process that goes into this?

It would also be interesting to note, did she try and buy any butter knives? Would she be ID'd for butter knives as well?

1. This is not a thread about drugs and drug use, I'm pretty sure it's a T&C violation to try and bring it up. Not complaining, just trying to inform.

2. I recently read somewhere that yes, you do have to be carded to buy dining sets that come with butter knives, because of the zero-tolerance policy they have in the UK. I'll try to dig up the article.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
HA... makes me want to go into a shop and ask for 4 candles...

no no no... FORK HANDLES!

Is this real???

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Is this a case of a nanny state? or is it in fact proof that Artificial Intelligence has arrived?

Her supervisor didn't tell her to ID the shopper, nor did anyone else in authority tell her to,

It was the machine, the machine told her.......

spoons are very dangerous to machines, they can be used to take screws out,

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Dont let Obama hear about this or it will be his next great idea to rebuild the economy one tax at a time.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It's all fun and games, until someone pulls a spoon on ya.

It's getting more like a prison planet every day.
Can't let the inmates have anything they can turn into a weapon.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

Its all about control. Mr Politician thinks he/she knows best for the people.

This law seriously reminds me of that movie by Mike Judge, titled Idiocracy. I enjoy watching the movie. Its pretty stupid but entertaining. When you think about it, there is a bit of truth behind the movie. Makes you think.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
If anyone ever "tried" to get my ID for a SPOON......the reason for doing so would probably come into play.

I pity the poor cashier who stirs MY wrath.

Get these spoons off the shelves NOW.

(They're particularly suited for removing an eye..
)

btw..remember, "there is no spoon"

[edit on 6/5/2009 by nerbot]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I wonder if you have to provide ID to buy the matching knives also? this is going too far lol, name the things that we use every single day for every day uses, that someone has murdered another with.

Absolute Lunacy, who is making these stupid rules? they need gone now IMO.

HEHE I've met some really slow check out workers, but to say its a rule is well a sandwich short of a picnic , I would have just fell on the floor laughing.

I wonder if she will take the rest of the week off?

[edit on 6/5/2009 by azzllin]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

Read the article.

It is the cash register that informs the cashier when ID is to be requested.

The store manager said it may have been a mistake with the bar-code numbers.

The register may have read something other than "teaspoons".

Toilet roll maybe...and we all know how dangerous that stuff can be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join