It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food chain KFC converts eight London restaurants to halal-only menu

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Fast food chain KFC converts eight London restaurants to halal-only menu

www.dailymail.co.uk

Fast food giant Kentucky Fried Chicken is to launch a halal-only menu in eight of its London stores in a move which could be extended to other areas of the UK.
The menu, which will form part of a trial, will see the stores selling chicken products which have been fully approved by the Halal Food Authority for the first time.
KFC has 720 stores across the UK, and bosses said the move was designed to ensure the company was catering to a broader range of customers, following a growing demand for halal products.
It is the latest fast food chain to introduce a halal-only menu after Domino's lau
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Think this is just the latest in a long line of Political Correctness gone mad and the luatics taking over the asylum. That is the last I will be eating KFC. How can a chicken be killed humanley if it is done by a muslim cutting its throat and draining all of the blood, doesnt sound the way I want to go

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Some of the comments of like minded people from the same site:

Simple then: don't patronise KFC - see how quickly their "moral" stance evaporates.
- Spencer, London, UK, 06/5/2009 15:56

Halal slaughter houses make a mockery of the practice of ritual slaughter, the only prayers said are a on a looped recording played through loudspeakers.
- Steve, Bedford, 06/5/2009 15:53

We have again been pushed aside without consultation or thought. I don't eat this meat as I find the methods of slaughter leave a great deal to be desired. My opinion, but who the hell cares in the UK today. I shall soon have to apologise for being English. KFJ I hope your business survives after being built on our good will over many years. Your bombastic approach may appease the Muslims, but you could have offered a choice. The knock on effect to ALL your branches have certainly not been taken into consideration..
- js, East Devon, 06/5/2009 15:51

So British Animal Rights Laws only apply sometimes.
Who decides, can I have it killed humanely or slaughtered Halal wise.
I demand that animals for the food chain are killed humanely irrespective of the religion of the farmer, slaughterman, butcher or eater.
Next thing some of us will be allowed to marry polygamously and claim benefits for all wives and children.
- Deerwatcher, Fareham Hants, 06/5/2009 15:49
Click to rate Rating 189 The RSPCA wrote a report condemning religious slaughter. Where are they now? Where are the animal rights groups?
- Simone, Kent UK, 06/5/2009 15:45

Click to rate Rating 205 I won't be buying from them again.
- John, Manchester, 06/5/2009 15:44

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Hmmmmm.

What percent of England is Muslim now?

But yeah. Having a multicultural policy can cause that country's own culture to be swallowed up.

+8 more 
posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Knee-jerk tabloid BS, designed to rile up the BNP fanatics of England.

We have a large Muslim population living in London - Fact.
KFC has to change to stay in business - Fact.
Your Chicken is killed, either the Halal way or another - Fact
This affects your quality of life in no way whatsoever - Fact

People in this country need to stop falling for the BNP propaganda machine, taking every mention of diversity and "Muslim" as an attack against them. This doesn't affect you at all, so why are you in a mad huff about it?

KFC can do what they like to stay in business, it makes sense to me. And it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The fact that this is even noteworthy is a worrying sign. The moment the BNP gain any kind of power in this country is the day I leave for a more intelligent nation. And that day is moving closer as this kind of paranoia spreads.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Knee-jerk tabloid BS, designed to rile up the BNP fanatics of England.

We have a large Muslim population living in London - Fact.
KFC has to change to stay in business - Fact.
Your Chicken is killed, either the Halal way or another - Fact
This affects your quality of life in no way whatsoever - Fact

People in this country need to stop falling for the BNP propaganda machine, taking every mention of diversity and "Muslim" as an attack against them. This doesn't affect you at all, so why are you in a mad huff about it?

KFC can do what they like to stay in business, it makes sense to me. And it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The fact that this is even noteworthy is a worrying sign. The moment the BNP gain any kind of power in this country is the day I leave for a more intelligent nation. And that day is moving closer as this kind of paranoia spreads.

Yeah. I sure hope Muslims don't become the next Jews.

But still, we shouldn't bend over backwards for other cultures.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

How is it any different to them going Kosher? TO be frank, i will always buy Kosher or Halal products if avalible. They undergo a whole lot more scrutiny than the regular food chain. From sanitary conditions to packaging etc. Its simply a better product and safer.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think I will be the first person to say look, who really cares? Does it bother you that much that some places you eat at are halal-only and kosher? Food is food. If some culture believes that preparing food a certain way has some mystical powers then let them do whatever they want. As long as its good.

Try some halal cuisine. Its rather tasty.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

So you need to be jewish or muslim to get the best food? It's not very comforting that food is held to higher standards simply because of someone's religion.

I agree with the guy who said it makes perfect sense that kfc would do this, simply to make more money. However, if it's sold as "catering to muslims", people are more likely to accept the catering later on, in different areas. Little steps.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I don't think it's really a big deal in itself.

But Muslim religion, no offense to Muslims, is hurtful imo. To both the people who practice it and non-Muslims.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

How the hell is a privately run business providing alternatives to another customer base our country "bending over backwards"?

It's no different to a restaurant providing a vegetarian option.

This is all about xenophobia and racism, and nothing more.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

No I did not say that and I have yet to see anywhere where only Muslims can buy Halal products or only Jewish people can by Kosher.

I have more faith in food prepared to centuries old religious guidelines than I do food inspected by the USDA

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Yeah, before you know it we'll have Sharia Law and all women will be forced to walk behind their husbands with covered faces.

Come on! This is one company providing another option to a customer!

Seriously, the fact that this is even a story in a paper is worrying enough. It certainly says a lot about the stupidity of the British public.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
First of all, who cares? Also, have you ever seen a "regular" chicken slaughter house, not exactly humane. Either way you're still eating Mutation Fried Chicken, enjoy!

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Yet another point that shows Jews and Muslims are not that much different, though each will tell you they are worlds different!

I'm pretty sure that Kosher killing is the same way, drained of blood, SO WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

link   
I can't really blame them. If they took certain locations and decided upon catering to a certain target market then they must think they can make more money by doing this. If these restaurants do well then you are going to see more in the area doing the same.

link   

Originally posted by Time2Live
First of all, who cares? Also, have you ever seen a "regular" chicken slaughter house, not exactly humane. Either way you're still eating Mutation Fried Chicken, enjoy!

haha. true.

nah it's not really a big deal in itself. but the spread of Islamic culture to Europe is.

not that Christian culture is wonderful either though.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
How can you eat from a bucket with your Hijab on?

Seriously though.
I am sure I read an article years ago about why KFC are not called 'Kentucky fried Chicken' anymore. They had to remove the word 'chicken' from their brand name as they don't use chicken.

It sickened me to read that they adopted a method of growing an 'organism' that's origins came from the humble chicken. Without a head and other useful body parts, multiple rows and levels of these would grow on a production line all feb specific growth ingredients via tubes.

This being the case, how would these be "sacrificed" I wonder. It really would be farcical - ah well, as long as the kids are happy!
Actually, I don't like to think about it - I was put off eating meat years ago by someone who worked in abbotoirs.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

My point was that there is food in society that is better than mine because i was not raised jewish or muslim. Now, since you've educated me, the decision is mine. Before, I had no say in it. It's not that i can't eat it, it's that these same standards aren't applied to me, simply because I don't prescribe to their religion. I'm not asking for anything to change, as no system is perfect. If indeed halal is cleaner and better, it's either an example of the government sanctioning health in the name of the economy, or of ignoring a method of killing an animal for consumption simply because of it's relation to religion. Both hypocritical.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by heyo

Yeah, before you know it we'll have Sharia Law and all women will be forced to walk behind their husbands with covered faces.

Come on! This is one company providing another option to a customer!

Seriously, the fact that this is even a story in a paper is worrying enough. It certainly says a lot about the stupidity of the British public.

Please reread my post. Thx.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join