It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the CIA's Kryptos structure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

"Kryptos is a sculpture by American artist James Sanborn located on the grounds of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in Langley, Virginia, in the United States. Since its dedication on November 3, 1990, there has been much speculation about the meaning of the encrypted messages it bears. It continues to provide a diversion for some employees of the CIA and other cryptanalysts attempting to decrypt the messages."

I found solution #2 to be very odd indeed. Seems to hint at an underground base and the use of the earth's magnetic field.

Solution 2
IT WAS TOTALLY INVISIBLE HOWS THAT POSSIBLE ? THEY USED THE EARTHS MAGNETIC FIELD X THE INFORMATION WAS GATHERED AND TRANSMITTED UNDERGRUUND TO AN UNKNOWN LOCATION X DOES LANGLEY KNOW ABOUT THIS ? THEY SHOULD ITS BURIED OUT THERE SOMEWHERE X WHO KNOWS THE EXACT LOCATION ? ONLY WW THIS WAS HIS LAST MESSAGE X THIRTY EIGHT DEGREES FIFTY SEVEN MINUTES SIX POINT FIVE SECONDS NORTH SEVENTY SEVEN DEGREES EIGHT MINUTES FORTY FOUR SECONDS WEST X LAYER TWO
In April 2006 Sanborn said that he made an error in the sculpture by omitting an "X" used to indicate a break for aesthetic reasons, and that the decrypted text which ended "...FOUR SECONDS WEST ID BY ROW S" should actually be "...FOUR SECONDS WEST X LAYER TWO".[6]

Note: The coordinates mentioned in the plaintext: 38°57′6.5″N 77°8′44″W / 38.951806°N 77.14556°W / 38.951806; -77.14556; on Google Maps; analysis of the cited location. The point is about 200 feet south of the sculpture itself.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I tried to find some answers but it they are hard to find.
What do you think? To what is it related?

[edit on 6-5-2009 by defiler]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Interesting read.

I had never heard of this before.
And after reading the wikipedia, I really want to see the final solution.
But then I checked out the science behind how they solved the first 3 parts, and it's way beyond me. I'll leave this claim to fame to someone else.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
it was interesting to read that the NSA (with the help of a supercomputer or two) solved the first 3 sections in 1992 while it took the CIA till 1998 to solve and general public 1999.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Wow that 4th one is just crazy insane.

There's a link in wiki to the kryptos CIA website with flash at the end you can view any of the 4 panels in case someone was wondering. The 3rd one looked pretty tough but that 4th one I wouldn't even know were to begin. It just looks like a section of the Alphabet repeated over and over again with a couple exceptions.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Almost all governments in history have created secret storehouses of knowledge. Many military base libraries have sections within them that the average soldier cannot access. It would not surprise me at all that our government, called still a “superpower” would also have such storehouses. It is forgotten by many that our government was founded by persons involved in secret societies. President bush was a member of secret societies. I assume that President Obama is also a member of secret societies as well. There has been, and almost always will be, a separation of knowledge between the governors and the governed.

I propose to ATS, if it has not been proposed all ready, that its members gather together whatever credible materials that they have about hidden knowledge and expose them to the masses and as well, gather them together in a storehouse publicly viewable by all.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
apparantly the place it points to is the CIA building itself that it is in the garden of.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
So if it took like 2 years on NSA super computer to solve the 3rd stage then It
would be insanely difficult to solve the last part.
If we combine all the computers we can share thought the net, and considering
the limitations of the connection and If someone can write an algorithm then
we will be extremely lucky if we get to there.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
hmm the supercomputers of 89 had 80 mhz processors.
Maybe the NSA supercomputer in 90 wasnt that fast compared to normal standards today
but I will never know for sure
I remember there was a software to break rar passwords with brute force method
and if you do it with a normal cpu mine is 3.0 ghz dual core it took me 1 month
to get to the 7th character, but that software used the graphic card and it took
like 5-6 days.

Again if someone can write the algorithm which I doubt that.

[edit on 6-5-2009 by defiler]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
they would likely break the code within minutes if not seconds once they develop a quantum computer....

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I read somewhere that there was a mistake/typo in the cypher cut out at some point. I am sure it's somewhere there on the wiki. That was one of the reasons it had taken so long to decrypt that particular section.
edit: Yup, here it is.

I doubt this puzzle leads to anything of particular sensitivity...at least not the kind one might hope for. More of an exercise to keep the mind busy.
If anything, if the reward were to be anything of symbolic importance, the message would only be fully understood by a person already capable of decrypting the cypher single-handed(and with access to the Langley HQ).

Just my .02

[edit on 7-5-2009 by 4N6310]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Maybe its just a practice for the NSA or CIA. Or maybe not.

The sad thing about this site is that when something really interesting comes
out like this only a few people respond.
But if someone opens a thread about lets say: 'I can call aliens" than it will grow
to 200 posts in a week.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by defiler]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Well apparently something is buried.

I'm seeing coordinates for the CIA's private garden.

Anyone up for a digging excursion?

I'll supply the shovels, if someone brings the booze.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdJohnAdams
Well apparently something is buried.

I'm seeing coordinates for the CIA's private garden.

Anyone up for a digging excursion?

I'll supply the shovels, if someone brings the booze.

Amazing that the 4th part still hasnt been solved but it looks impossible lol

i hope someone figures it out someday because we need to know what the kryptos structure is trying to tell us because it could be important

im down for some diggin in the CIA's garden hahaha

n ill bring the booze wat u drink lol

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by defiler
Maybe its just a practice for the NSA or CIA. Or maybe not.

The sad thing about this site is that when something really interesting comes
out like this only a few people respond.
But if someone opens a thread about lets say: 'I can call aliens" than it will grow
to 200 posts in a week.

i couldnt agree more...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
After messing with it. And manipulating the ways used to solve the first 3 parts.

I'm thoroughly convinced it just a "Hahaha You Found It Out, Congrats Ya Twit"

And for the record, I'll drink anything brewed, or with a decent alcohol content.

Grab your favorite, and we'll toss them back all night my friend.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
At this moment I'm trying to write small pieces of code in visual studio in order to find out which kind of algorithm I need to decrypt codes via the vigenère cipher method and also other methods.

And I can tell you this, I'm not a heavy duty programmer nor an proffesional decoder or what so ever. So it's very hard for me to write a piece of code for this stuff. I'm just really really really curious and that's what drives me to do this.

Yes I'm making progress in writing code, but it is by far not mentionable

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdJohnAdams

Dig in the garden?

In the 4th part of the Kryptos ciphertext are the three letters DIG if you do a dvorak keyboard shift on the word DIG the three letters become ECI the French translation of the English word "here".

But we have now been told by the sculptor Sanborn that the fourth part can not be solved by a simple substitution method such as described in Edgar Allen Poe's short story "The Gold Bug". That rules out a ton of possible solution strategies. The ciphertext has been masked somehow so that letter frequency can no longer give us any clues.

The unsolved piece of the puzzle is 97 characters long, 3 less than the perfect base 10 century. There should be a contextual extension you could use after solving the first three parts that would give some legs to the fourth part of the puzzle.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Very interesting. I had forgotten about this and last remember it from one of Dan Brown's books, I think. I think it was "Digital Fortress", my favorite book he has written.

Either way thanks for bringing this to mind again as I was going to do some research about it but spaced it.

S&F.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Well I obviously missed this one last year, as well as related posts but definitely found the topic interesting. Thanks for posting.

Also did not know about this motto, and close version to gospel text:

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." is at the CIA headquarters building.

Read More www.wired.com...

[edit on 27-4-2010 by manta78]

new topics

top topics

join