It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Burkha: In east and west

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I've heard many say that the Burkha is oppressive towards women and that the cultural heritage with this item is 'ancient' and out of date.

The reason why I post this is because I was thinking of women rights in western cultures.

Have you ever heard a feminist(read: someone who figths for women rights) advocate the right to go around topless?

Men are allowed to be topless, but not women. Is the bikini/brassiere in reality not the western version of the burkha? And should we move away from that 'backwards' thinking?

(not sure if this is the right forum)

[edit on 6-5-2009 by scratchmane]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I have in fact head of this. The city of Daytona Beach won a lawsuit in 2007 by a woman who was suing for the right to go topless in public, one of several protests they have had in connection with special events. She was arested the year before for walking topless down Main Street on Bike Week. I know other cities in Florida have had the same issues, including a nude beach at Canaveral National Seashore. Ironically, the local aviation schools did not tell their students about this beach, which was part of the training course, they would just sort of spring it on them!

Doesn't bother me any, an awful lot of men on the beach need to cover it up anyway.

It's spelled burqa by the way.

new topics

join