It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do most satellites seem to pass through the big dipper?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Every time I'm out watching the sky I notice that all the satellites I see pass through the big dipper or somewhere in ursa major.
I think I've maybe seen it not happen once or twice but 99% of them seem to pass through it.

Can anybody tell me why that is?

Please and thank you.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Maybe because you look at the big dipper a lot and don't see the satellites elsewhere?

I see satellites in all parts of the sky. It helps to know where to look. Try this website:
www.heavens-above.com...

Set it for your location and you'll probably be able to spot even more satellites than you already see, and in other parts of the sky.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I've been registered there for a while but sometimes i just go out and look at random at everything I can see.
I try to look around everywhere and not focus on one spot too long so that I might see them in other places and so that I take it all in but I see them 99% of the time crossing through the big dipper.
About 10 minutes ago I was out and seen 3 pass through within maybe 10 minutes of each other and every time I go out for a bit that seems to be the exact spot I see them all.
The last time i saw one anywhere else was during the lyrid meteor shower, which crossed almost right by the star.

Maybe I'm just not catching them all or something but thank you and do you know of any other websites like heavens above by chance?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to say it's an individual perspective. If you haven't checked out the J-Track 3D, I'd say give a look. There's WAY too many sats out there to think they all pass through a specific point in the night sky. Enjoy!

science.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seangkt

Heavens Above is the best I know of. Do you get predictions for satellites that aren't in the northern sky? I see some trends for my sightings, Iridium flares tend to be in the north or south for me (because they are on polar orbits). But the ISS can appear just about anywhere and move in any direction on any given pass. Like I said, I see them all over the sky and haven't noticed any particular trend in general.

Out of curiosity though, what direction are the satellites you see in the northern sky moving? North-south? East-West?

[edit on 5/5/2009 by Phage]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Most I see are orbiting North-South. I don't know what it is but they also go through the cupped part of the dipper. I actually saw one right now pass on a different route but almost almost in the same general direction.

I'm kinda new to looking for them.
I started sky watching about a year ago and still don't understand a lot of what goes on and I've heard so many different things about satellites that have seemed to be more wrong than right so I'm trying to understand them more and how they orbit and such.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I also have became facisinated with them.One thing is the speed they must be moving at.There about 4 main differrent locations I find them at steady.Im gonna throw this one out there to and Im sure someone is gonna criticize me for it but o well .I do believe there are u.f.o right outside our atmosphere not saying this is what all these sattelites are but if they were to appear they would automatically be called a satelite.Youtube has alot of good clips on them. Anyway Im sure the following post is about to come up with how crazy this is ,so come on with it

top topics

join