It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psycology of UFO liars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'd like some input on the Psycology involved in someone lying about a UFO encounter. This thread isn't intended to argue about the proof, evidence or reality of alien beings or UFOs. But I'd like people from both sides to submit real answers and insight here.

This thread takes into account the fact that "Some" people have lied about seeing ufo's or aliens and being abducted. It also is trying to find out why some people would lie and also why whole groups of people are seemingly "Not" lying about an encounter or sighting.

1. Why would someone lie about an encounter or sighting or abduction? Is the 15 minutes of fame worth it?
2. What is the psycological profile of someone who would lie about such a thing?
3. How is it that certain people or groups of people pass lie detectors or appear to be telling the truth or even believe that they are telling the truth?
4. What is the psycology involved in people believing they saw something even if they did not?
5. Why would someone dismiss offhand without any research into an account a person who is seemingly telling the truth?

[edit on 5-5-2009 by amazing]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Not nearly as many people lie about UFO encounters as you might think! Therefore the psychology of those few that do isnt really of interest.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The reason they make up these stories, is because they want attention and there is an audience for it. The 15 minutes of us here and around the web talking about them must be worth it. The reason they are usually dismissed is because there are way more of them than anyone credible, not a good ratio.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think most of them really do believe they have had an encounter. Some people have overly vivid imaginations combined with a personality disorder that makes whatever will get them the most attention seem real to them.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
So the next question would be concerning the fact that everyone who says that they have had an encounter couldn't possibly be lying, so there has to be another issue involved if they haven't really seen anything. What is it?
and secondly does everyone who seems to be lying about an encounter fit the general profile of a UFO liar for lack of a better term.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I am sure there are several profiles of a UFO liar. There are several reasons it could be.
Attention
Practical Joke
To feel superior/enlightened
Etc

Also I think some people arent lying. They just thought they saw a UFO.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

When my son was younger , sometimes he would wake up and SWEAR

to the high heavens , something was outside his bedroom window.

Being a good dad , iI always went outside to appease his fears , there never

was anything out there .

But he was Convinced there was , and there was no changing his mind.

These people are along the same lines, They THINK they have been abducted
and nothing will change their minds. The desire to be "special" or unique

and not face the "ordinaryness" of their lives , enables them to

convince themselves "Something Wonderful" has happened .

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stewartw2

I'm very intersted why you think this. There has never been a verifiable case to prove that a person has actually been abducted.

Why would you think that any of them are not lying?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
So the next question would be concerning the fact that everyone who says that they have had an encounter couldn't possibly be lying, so there has to be another issue involved if they haven't really seen anything. What is it?

There is a very strong tendency when encountering something beyond one's experience to "fill in the blanks". It has nothing to do with lying, it has nothing to do with sanity. It is what our brains and sensory systems are designed to do. There is also the fact that without some frame of reference, it is impossible to determine the size, distance, and speed of an object.

Combine the two with the folklore of UFO's and guess what? A 10" balloon 100' in the air can become a huge UFO, at a tremendous altitude, moving at an incredible speed. I've seen it happen.

[edit on 5/5/2009 by Phage]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by stewartw2

I'm very intersted why you think this. There has never been a verifiable case to prove that a person has actually been abducted.

Why would you think that any of them are not lying?

I really think most abductees think they were abducted whether they were or not.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I think there are liars, those who did really see something other worldly, and those who saw something that is not other worldly (like a funny shaped balloon) but mistook it for something else.

I don't think why they lie matters, probably for the same reasons people lie about a lot of things, particularly things of a mysterious nature.

Liars who become hoaxers puzzle me much more. Some of them put so much time and effort into hoaxes they'll never make money off of, and many hoaxers that use the internet remain anonymous so it's not like they're experiencing the "fame".

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
May just be boredom and the feeling of "ha! I cant beleive that these saps are eating it up!". Others are sick and crave attention of any kind, some are crazy, yet, there is a persistent few, those who have nothing to gain by convincing people of ufos or abduction, have much to lose, but persist because they are mystified or terrified by what has, or what they think has happened to them.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Also,I think maybe some abductees are victims of molestation and so they have framed this negative experience into abduction to make it more tolerable to their minds.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
I think most of them really do believe they have had an encounter. Some people have overly vivid imaginations combined with a personality disorder that makes whatever will get them the most attention seem real to them.

Exactly what I was going to say. Beat me to it.

I don't think many abductees lie about their experiences at all. Whether the experiences actually happened or not, though, is another question.

I have no doubt they believe. Some even pass lie-detector tests. That doesn't prove the events happened, however, because a fragile or damaged mind can construct memories.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies. Another question comes to mind. What of the seemingly normal adult with no child hood trauma who comes up with an amazing story of either abduction or a close encounter of some kind. He/She passes or would pass a lie detector test-no other trauma(either emotional or other can be found) and perhaps there's even a witness or two as well. If you were interviewing this person and the witness what would you do what would you ask...what would you be thinking?

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The UFO lie is some CIA Illuminati front to hide technology
from the masses.

Who are the few who know about the technology.
Perhaps the Rockefeller and other such leaders.

JP Morgan and the financial lineage that have 51%
of the Tesla patents until he started withholding his inventions
which made the Illuminati very mad.

Perhaps the FBI were around the Tesla residence days
before his demise. Well he had plenty of information
left that was being developed in Germany.

Tesla documents have taken the same path as Operation
Paperclip ending up in New Mexico.

So there are a big pack of liars that support the UFO lie.

ED: Try these for simplistic mind control:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5/6/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
IMHO very interesting questions, here are my humble attempts to respond.

1. Why would someone lie about an encounter or sighting or abduction? Is the 15 minutes of fame worth it?

To lie, is to deliberately decieve. So you are asking why someone would intentionally fabricate a sighting or encounter? I have asked myself this very same question, and in most cases it isn't the notoriety essentially, I would imagine it is their own perceived ability to receive some material gain from their story. The other reason I imagine would be for these people to be esteemed within a small subset of society - the ufology world, and even smaller group of believers or followers that might feed their self-perception of being 'special' or 'different'.

2. What is the pyschological profile of a someone who would lie about such a thing?

For someone who is deliberately deceptive, who is hoaxing or lying for their own ends:
"The successful con artist is generally suave, smooth, smart, accomplished and sophisticated. He doesn't have to resort to violence like a gangster. Con artists consider themselves to be the princes of the criminal fraternity - a cut above the other criminals on the street. In fact, he does not consider himself to be a criminal at all. Profile of A Con Artist

3. How is it that certain people or groups of people pass lie detectors or appear to be telling the truth or even believe that they are telling the truth?

"The dirty little secret behind the polygraph is that the "test" depends on trickery, not science. The person being "tested" is not supposed to know that while the polygraph operator declares that all questions must be answered truthfully, warning that the slightest hint of deception will be detected, he secretly assumes that denials in response to certain questions -- called "control" questions -- will be less than truthful. An example of a commonly used control question is, "Did you ever lie to get out of trouble?" The polygrapher steers the examinee into a denial by warning, for example, that anyone who would do so is the same kind of person who would commit the kind of behavior that is under investigation and then lie about it. But secretly, it is assumed that everyone has lied to get out of trouble.
The simplistic methodology used in polygraph testing has no grounding in the scientific method: it is no more scientific than astrology or tarot cards. Government agencies value it because people who don't realize it's a fraud sometimes make damaging admissions. But as a result of reliance on this voodoo science, the truthful are often falsely branded as liars while the deceptive pass through." How To Pass a Polygraph

4. What is the psycology involved in people believing they saw something even if they did not?

What is the pyschology behind people believing they saw something? - My uneducated guess would be, that they saw something.
Even if they did not? It's kind of a catch 22; how could you see something you did not see? Or perhaps how could you believe you have seen something you did not see?
Perhaps the real question is why would someone believe they have seen something when there was nothing there at all?
Hallucinations, possibly for a variety of reasons. Psychiatric, drug-induced or alcohol related, or perhaps just a misidentification of something mundane or terrestrial.

5. Why would someone dismiss offhand without any research into an account a person who is seemingly telling the truth?

Why would someone chose to do anything or not do anything? It is entirely related to who people are themselves, and what interests them. This is quite a grossly generalised question, begging your pardon.

Peace

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A good example of the UFO lie would be the case of the Secretary of
Navy Forestall who had pressure exerted by the Illuminati
to tell UFO stories or lie about Aliens.

He most likely knew of the technology and even funded the
operation and knew it was not alien and knew he could not
talk about details that were confidential.

Perhaps years after retirement he may be allowed to mention
details not found under security codes but that seems unlikely
as well.

So he never told one UFO lie but people were asking him to
divulge something. Who were those people, the liars.

new topics

top topics

join