It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ten Commandments of the Ethical Atheist.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I came across this surfing the web and thought it was worth sharing here, sorry if its in the wrong forum.

The Ten Commandments of the Ethical Atheist.

NOTE: Freethought and tolerance obviously prohibit these from being "commandments" Just consider them "suggestions".

1. Thou SHALT NOT believe all thou art told
Humans are generally very gullible. We believe are sorts of false statements, stories, reasoning, etc. We even continue to believe falsehoods after they have been proven untrue. History is full of amazing hoaxes often supported by religion and the teachings of the Church or by others seeking power, popularity or fortune. We have been told the Earth was flat and has four corners which, if not careful, we may fall off. We have been told that the Earth is the center of the Universe. We have been told that sky if a fixed, firm structure to which the sun, moon and stars are affixed. We have been told that personalities and future events are predictable using astrology, card reading, crystal balls and palm reading. We have been told of prophecies by Nostradamas. We have been told of speaking with the dead, the dead rising, life after death, reincarnation and bending spoons, to name only a few. We must be more skeptical in what we are told, what we read and what we are exposed to through the various forms of broadcast media. When exposed to something new, do NOT accept what you hear without facts to support it. There are other agendas at work in your deception. You must always be on guard to protect yourself and your knowledge.

2. Thou SHALT seek knowledge and truth constantly.
There are many adverse factors making it difficult for us to obtain knowledge and the truth. There is often no motivating factor driving others to present you with fair, factual, scientific truths. By weaving a complex web of lies, religions are able to control people and remain in power. Governments may hide facts and events for fear of scaring the public. There are more advertising dollars and higher ratings in broadcasting claims of communicating with the dead than in Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion. Therefore, we must take an active role in our own education and constantly seek the truth. It isn't always obvious and is often very difficult to obtain. Thou SHALT make time to read non-fiction. Thou SHALT make time to view educational programs. Thou SHALT spend as much time in the library as you do in the mall or watching television.

Link to authors webpage

edited font size

[edit on 5-5-2009 by Pondering Soul]

Mod Edit:IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS.Please review this link

[edit on 5-5-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

4. Thou SHALT NOT forget the atrocities committed in the name of god.
Many people have limited knowledge, or none at all, of the atrocities committed during the Inquisition, the Crusades, etc. by the Church and in the name of religion. Christians are not unique in their cruelty. For example, Muslim civilizations often imprison, torture or kill those attempting to convert their citizens to Christianity. (See Atrocities in the Name of Religion - coming soon...) Few are even remotely aware of these atrocities or think, "Oh, that was a long time ago and could never happen again". However, it hasn't been that long ago and is still occurring today in countries like Bosnia, Rwanda, Burundi, Somalia, Israel, Tibet and Afghanistan. Thou SHALT fear a repeat of history.

Link to authors webpage

Mod Edit:IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS.Please review this link

[edit on 5-5-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Sorry to anyone this offends, I know it will agitate some, which is not my intent, I'm all about peace.

I don't agree with everything this guy has to say, but a lot of it makes sense.

I hope some find it enlightening.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well, at least you have the right 'religious' attitude about not believing in god.

But I caution you, with or without faith, once you go down the road of "Commandments" you are indeed in danger of the pot calling the kettle black.

No disrespect intended.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
But I caution you, with or without faith, once you go down the road of "Commandments" you are indeed in danger of the pot calling the kettle black.

hence the note saying there really suggestions instead of commandments.

it was at the very top, did you not see it?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Pondering Soul

Of course, how careless of me. I understand your position. Apologies if I offended you.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

nope not offended, thanks for commenting!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Good find, S&F for you.

I like what it says (for the most part) and agree.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Well, at least you have the right 'religious' attitude about not believing in god.

No disrespect intended.

As the "original" Ten Commandments are just codifications of already existing rules of society, the religious have simply hijacked sensible ways of dealing with fellow humans and given it a spin that simply isn't needed.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
An ethical atheist? What next? A flying penguin?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
dang, didn't know a post could be bumped off the site.

i guess this thread is completely dead now.

well at least it lasted a few mins.

kinda upsetting i thought it would be nice to share, but i guess the mods gotta do what the mods gotta do.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
An ethical atheist? What next? A flying penguin?

lol, how righteous of you.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
any more righteous then coming up with "ethical" suggestions for people to cohere to?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
removed.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Pondering Soul

Commandment 2 surprised me, it's good but only few practice it.

Commandment 3 is fine, but many hardcore defenders of scientific truth are too hardcore that they too become a hindrance to radical ideas that may actually work and help advance technological progress in a positive way.

new topics

top topics

join