It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mr. President, An Asteroid Impact Is Imminent...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Don't ever think they arn't ready for this senerio...

RENEWED CONCERN FOR RISK OF MAJOR ASTEROID IMPACT DISASTER INITIAL DATA SUGGESTED NEW ASTEROID WOULD CAUSE AN EXTINCTION-LEVEL EVENT IN JUST 17 YEARS...

theinsider.org...

U.S. Congressional Hearings on Near-Earth Objects and Planetary Defense

impact.arc.nasa.gov...

Small near-Earth asteroids pose more imminent threat

www.usatoday.com...

PROCEDURE IN CASE OF IMMINENT ASTEROID IMPACT

www.shartwell.freeserve.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Astronomers have revealed how they came within minutes of alerting the world to a potential asteroid strike last month.
Some scientists believed on 13 January that a 30m object, later designated 2004 AS1, had a one-in-four chance of hitting the planet within 36 hours.

www.inreview.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I recall hearing something a couple of years back about an asteroid that came so close it was closer than the moons orbit... the thing is we didnt see it untill a couple of days later coz it came from the direction of the sun...

Cosmic impacr is a threat that we as humans are not equipt to cope with, no matter what hollywood tells us... but ifwe were wiped out by a cosmic object, at least we couldnt blame ourselves for it...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave

PROCEDURE IN CASE OF IMMINENT ASTEROID IMPACT

we should avoid links like this because its rediculous.
we should read first the article before posting. it may lead other members to believe.
just to late you know.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I made a copy of the congressional investigation two weeks ago at the library.

It doesn't tell much, concluding with NASA's suggestion that it will put 3 m asside to search for neos and crank out some old Navy telescopes to foriegn countries to set up search points. Oz got in on that, so did Chile and Antartica.

What bugs me is that whatever they have learned about neos isn't being published in a format that most people can understand.

My local library has an extensive collection of gov docs racked up. Nobody much is taking the time to wade thru the mass of publications the gov puts out.

I spend about one day every 2 weeks perusing the shelves. Its not enough. I also search intensively using the gov webs to do research.

You can also try to wade thru JPL's site
for neos
neat.jpl.nasa.gov...

anyone interesting in doing their own tracking here's the link

www.gpoaccess.gov...

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by radstar]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
lol, the idea of any kind of proceedures to deal with extinction level collisions is just plane stupid. If any large body of that size strikes the earth, we are all dead, without doubt. If you want proof of just how big a mess it would be, punch in some of the dimensions of the various asteroids into this calculator and see just how big a mark they will leave

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
...PROCEDURE IN CASE OF IMMINENT ASTEROID IMPACT

Hopefully you know this link is from a humor site and can't be accepted as fact or taken seriously. I mean, although pretty (yet morbidly) funny, these quotes are taken from the link in question:

"Any impact craters in the car parking areas will be marked with yellow paint, but please be alert for potholes as these constitute a 'trip hazard'."

"Staff in the impact zone will be entitled to one half-day's compassionate leave for each family member killed."
"You will shortly be issued with your GPS and this will be deducted from your next wage packet."

"You may watch the actual impact through the window, on webcast or TV during lunchtime. If the impact occurs during working hours, you will be required to clock out at the beginning and clock back in again afterwards."

"The return to work guidelines will be waived in the case of the extinction of all life, either on a planet-wide scale or within a 1000 mile radius of work."

"We wish employees and their families all the best for the Armageddon period and reminds you to enjoy Armageddon in a safe manner. Remember: don't drink and drive!"

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by xenophanes85]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a

[edit on 2004-7-1 by Teknik]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven

but don't hang around expecting any ceremonies that don't involve lots of intoxicants.

Thats the best part about extintion level events!!!

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by energy_wave]

top topics

join