It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call to save Hilltop Boulders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Source:- New Zealand Herald

Researchers are calling for the protection of round boulders on an Auckland hilltop that they say are of international historical importance and were placed there by an ancient pre-Maori society.

The site is being gouged by earthmoving machinery for a new hospital at Silverdale, next to the Orewa-Whangaparaoa turnoff. Martin Doutre, author of the book, Ancient Celtic New Zealand, and fellow researcher Russell Ireland say that only two large boulders remain out of a dozen.

One has a girth of 3m. Many smaller ones have been smashed, they say. The cluster of boulders was uncovered 38 years ago when roadmakers cut into the crown of the scrub-covered hill.

"It sparked a lot of mystery over how they got there," said Mr Doutre. "They were concretion boulders, which can only form in sea sediments, yet they had made it to the top of this high, yellow clay hill."

Opened the paper this morning to be greeted with something interesting I had no idea existed in my country. Ive long been aware of the Cosa Rica boulders since I was a child (thank you Aurthur C. Clarke
) and while I knew about and have been to the strange round boulders found in Moeraki in my countries southern island I had no idea such large 'Costa Rica' like boulders where also to be found in my country not to mention only a few hours drive from me.

What also got my attention was the the researchers claims about the fair skinned pre-Maori , which I hadnt heard of previously.

After a quick look for information on the Patu its interesting that for the most part while thought of as fairy folk they seem to be described alot more like humans than typical modern 'elves' although even in other cultures legends fairy folk have usually been described as human and its only latter in history do they take on the typical short, story like appearance most would regard as 'fairy'.

Fairy Folk Tales of the Maori

Journal of the Polynesian Society

Patu-paiarehe legendry in the North Island, so far as my enquiries go, is associated chiefly with the forested peaks of the Waikato-Waipa basin, the Cape Colville-Te Aroha range, and the hills about Lake Rotorua; in the South Island the hills around Lyttelton Harbour and Akaroa, and the Takitimu range. The information which follows was given by several kaumatuas of the Ngati-Maniapoto and Waikato, the Ngati-Ihenga and Ngati-Tunohopu hapus of Te Arawa; in the South Island by elders of the Ngai-Tahu and Ngati-Mamoe.

I live in the Waipa region only a stones throw from one of those 'forested peaks'
its interesting to note that such stories appear to be around mountain areas and or ranges. While not appropriate for this forum such a correlation would have the UFO forum pricking their ears up. If anything else the supposed purposeful placement of these Boulders along with other sites mentioned in the original article as mentioned by Mr Doutre

placed exactly on a line of mound and cairn structures stretching for more than 70km through the Auckland isthmus

Gives further credibility to other pre-Maori sites in New Zealand such as the supposedly stone wall at Kaimanawa .

Mysterious New Zealand Photos

What annoys me is the mention of possible markings on the boulders and the photo they choose to print with modern graffiti all over it. Since most people would probably dismiss the entire article as a joke on reading that and seeing the clearly modern markings. Rather unfortunate

[edit on 5-5-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

If this is true its a travesty!

Has anybody done any serious archeological studies yet?

I loved the Wall link I'm amazed, I love this stuff
Sigh: Now I have to go read up on the "WALL"

I need a life.

S & F

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

If this is true its a travesty!

Has anybody done any serious archeological studies yet?

I loved the Wall link I'm amazed, I love this stuff
Sigh: Now I have to go read up on the "WALL"

I need a life.

S & F

Heh yeah, not sure about the archeological studies apart from whats in the Article, Looks like its just an ordinary guy thats doing anything along those lines. For the most part when these things are brought up in New Zealand it tends to be either stuck under the rug or ignored for the most part. Kinda like alot of the Maori legends and the like, given minor acknowledgment but nothing more.

At least the larger boulders are going to be incorporated into the hospitals design, but I dont see anything more coming from it. I find it stupid its been known about for 38 years or more (the Boulders I mean) and not given more limelight, I used to live in Auckland 8 years ago and would occasionally go past or through Silverdale. Having always had an interest in things like this id have asked the parents to stop off their for me to have a look...
in New Zealand we dont have places like 'Come see the mystery hole of Becksvile and wonder!'. We need to embrace our unknowns
although if some one did im sure some one would come along and demand commission based on cultural grounds.

But thats New Zealand for you. Im sure theres a small group of European and Maori that will be very happy about this since they will more than likely say Doutres theories are just a way to 'undermine indigenous rights' or attempts to rewrite the excepted history of the country even though their own legends and myths talk about such things and places.

Nothing gets you shot down quicker by the majority than trying to put forward an argument for pre-Maori people in New Zealand. Given the huge monetary aspect of treaty settlements I wouldnt blame em for not liking such 'ideas' being discussed. Not that they arent entitled to the settlements anyway, but thats not a discussion for such a forum.

Celtic New Zealand

This is Mr Doutre's site although I find the Celtic link a little 'new age' for my tastes he at leasts deserves to have his opinions heard.

Of note is that the mention of Red haired fair skinned Maori was always supposed due to whalers jumping ship in the decades before colonization. Although without knowing exactly when or where this happened (It did happen enough) its impossible to know in my opinion weather the the red hair came in was pre or post offical European contact. Given how bad the Maori where treated for a long time alot of their stories have been lost through not having them passed on or given its all oral tradition possibly muddied to much from the real truth. The truth to me will never be known... although their should be alot more tries to find some sediment of truth rather than small articles in the paper every few decades that gets fobbed off as crayzie talk by the establishment.

Either way its nice to know my countries alot more interesting than it otherwise is made out to be... ie Sheep, Hobbits and Concords

Heck the fact the Land wars from 160 years ago where rarely discussed or public knowledge until 15 years or so ago shows you something. (by that I mean taught in social studies and history classes, heh I never knew until '95 when my 4th form SStudies teacher told us, even he went so far as to say its something they dont like to bring up.. blew the classes mind and they where hardly the academic types
)

[edit on 5-5-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Not sure of the rules in NZ for investigation and conservation of historical significance, but in OZ if there is construction going on over a site, they must stop and pay for the excavation to take place. The site can be deemed protected from the investigation if ts of important historical vlaue or if its deemed to have special sacred significance to Indigenous peoples. Hopefully a similar thing in NZ exists and the Maoris can step in, though this is possibly pre Maori you said...hhhmm, unlikely, but I'll have to read up on it , Im in the dark on the wall, sorry....Cheers Zazzy F

new topics

top topics

join