It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The oldest symbol on earth?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I´ve always been interested in ancient history and I mean ancient!
Historical evidence standing right before us, silently speaking out that there where other far more advanced civilizations than the sheepfarm we live in now.

Being advanced doesn´t have anything to do with our technology of today in my view.

Today we have antennas all over the place for communication and they symbolize technology of our civilization.

But what is the true origin of the obelisks, the most ancient symbol to find?

Still today obelisks has a representation in every single bigger city of the western world, in many cases raised by freemasons. Even the Vatican has got a giant obelisk.

But if we try to go as far back in time as possible we find obelisks in the most ancient cultures known today like:

Egyptian
Assyrian
Axumite/Ethiopian
Ancient Roman
Byzantine
Keralian
Pre-Columbian

And in most cases it´s not remotely possible to build or much less move an obelisk of the unbeliveble proportions some of them are in with modern technique.
Looking at the obelisks in Baalbek, Lebanon one can´t simply understand how they raised this giant monuments weighing between 300-750 tons each.
"The stone of the south" (Hajar el Gouble) or "the stone of the pregnant woman" (Hajar el Hibla) lies unused in a nearby quarry 3 miles away - its weight, often exaggerated, is estimated at 970 tonnes!

A building is a building, but what purpose serves the obelisk?

I´m one of those who strongly believe that there was a far more advanced civilization before ours and that remainings all over the world are silent proof of that very civilization who saw it´s last days in a catastrofic event like the great deluge of many religious texture from every part of the world.

Still today obelisks are built all over like great statues with no purpose, or is there?
I don´t know actually but that doesn´t mean that I don´t want to find out!

If obelisks symbolize something for the free masons today then it´s just a symbol, but what about ancient time obelisks, did they serve as more than symbols?
Did they serve a purpose, religious or even as some sort of communications device in the meaning that the old world where more spiritual advanced than us? (Even a bumble bee is more spiritual advanced than us
)

Some symbolic things I think is related to obelisks is f ex that Buddha most have a high position in a home. The eagle is always on top of standards just like the cross on top of a church.

But always on top of an obelisk pointing to the sky!

I´m not very religious but I´m very much interested in religion because I think the religious tales are a more key to our ancient history than some nutty archeologist whos determined to set dates on everything. And if he cant explain something he makes up stories of his own like pulling a 500 ton obelisk some 700 kilometers on wooden rollers and such wich I believe more to be free fantasies because he´s simply facing a fact. That fact being that he cannot explain it!

Still they´re standing there as a silent proof of a civilization far more advanced than us. Was levitation a reality?

There are a lot more to it than meets the eye thats for sure...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I guess it depends on how one defines "symbol". My mind took a different path when I read the title, and I wasn't thinking of a physical totem as much as I was a written symbol. As such, I figure a line or a circle scrawled in the dirt was probably the first one in that regard.

Good question, it'll be interesting to see the replies.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by m4ng4n

But what is the true origin of the obelisks, the most ancient symbol to find?

I thought it was pretty obvious, obelisks are a giant phallic symbols.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Actually, I would be willing to bet that in fact the oldest symbol would probably be a circle, drawn in the dirt. It would symbolize a lot of things, including the sun and moon, but it would generally symbolize a totality. A complete thing that has been encompassed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/d55ae23427b5238c.gif[/atsimg]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjack
I guess it depends on how one defines "symbol". My mind took a different path when I read the title, and I wasn't thinking of a physical totem as much as I was a written symbol. As such, I figure a line or a circle scrawled in the dirt was probably the first one in that regard.

Good question, it'll be interesting to see the replies.

The definition of a symbol can of course be many things but when I reffered to an obelisk as the oldest I reffered to it as something that doesn´t seem to have any real purpose. As I compared it with a building f ex.
But still I want to call it a symbol because to me thats all there is to it in the modern day but it raises the question if it always has been that way?

And fallistic? That´s one point of view, but of what purpose?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Was about to say the same thing, the sun and the moon both a circle and people would look up and draw it. Maybe the line the horizon could be the first symbol to draw what is in front of them. But what ever was used as a symbol for society and personal use is two seperate things.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
Actually, I would be willing to bet that in fact the oldest symbol would probably be a circle, drawn in the dirt. It would symbolize a lot of things, including the sun and moon, but it would generally symbolize a totality. A complete thing that has been encompassed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/d55ae23427b5238c.gif[/atsimg]

I would have thought an "X" or cross would have been a likely, simple, proto-symbol. But a circle is as likely I guess. Perhaps even a series of parallel lines or dots.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hello,

Very interested to read were you have obtained your information from.

Egyptian

Assyrian

Axumite/Ethiopian

Ancient Roman

Byzantine

Keralian

Pre-Columbian

Since you have opted to open a can of worms i guess you more or less should supply some form of evidence, as this topic holds far more weight than some conspiracy theory.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by tristar]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Wow tough question , as it means many different things to many different people .

I found this link that you might find interesting ..

The First mention of the word Obelisk...
chestofbooks.com...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
As for the question of what the oldest symbol is in general I would have to agree with Nohup . In all likelihood the circle with the dot at its center is most likely the oldest symbol , often used to represent the sun or moon , respectively .

We still use this symbol today , its picture is placed on just about every electrical gadget out there .

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hello,

I fail to understand how one would think that a circle and dot would be the oldest form of drawing.

By nature we are driven to eat as hunger is an instinct which needs to be met at all costs. If we time warp back in time we would see either groups of people or individuals hunting. In order for one to hunt, he must have an understanding of his surroundings. Given that either spears or rocks were used to injure or kill the intended prey.

So that immediately tells us that they had an understanding of three dimensions, depth, width and height, for without those basic dimension's one cannot judge the distance, speed or mass of the intended prey. To make a long story short, our earliest cave drawings are estimated at around 35,000 bc. (+-)

So my question would be is, why on earth would someone draw a circle with a dot when food was the difference between life and death.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well that depends on what you mean?

The only thing I was refering to was that these cultures all have obelisks as apart of their civilization/culture.

I´ve looked it up and been to various sites to check out how many civilizations there are that actually have obelisks embedded in their culture, and that was the origin of my thougt when I discovered that all of them seems to have one.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Good question and there are a couple of answers to that .

Food , how does it relate ? Early man used the sun , moon and starts like we use a calendar or clock in order to tell the time of day or time of year . It was necessary to record these celestial bodies and to keep records in order to create reliable records so one could know when to plant there crops .

The sun is also the predominate thing in our sky and was thought of as a god by many , the life giver . They saw it as there salvation each morning that it raised and felt uncertainty when it set .

They would have surly tried to honer there god and bring favor so that they might eat plentiful and rase good crops and keep safe from harm .

[edit on 5-5-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

And recently discovered footprints with humanoids walking side by side with dinosaurs suggest that someone got bored after spending two billion years as a caveman...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by m4ng4n

You might be interested to know that Graham Hadcock is on C2C tonight I believe .

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by m4ng4n

Fair enough, but if you should look into the age of mythology as many symbols have carried into the later monotheistic culture and mythology is riddled with tales of humans flying the heavens with gods, not to mention the descriptions of crafts, crafts we later have come to call ufo's.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by m4ng4n

You might be interested to know that Graham Hadcock is on C2C tonight I believe .

Since I´m Scandinavian I have no idea what you´re talking about...

Pobably should see if i can add some color to my avatar!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by m4ng4n

He covers the topic that you bring up .

Try searching the term , forbidden archaeology . You will no doubt find some interesting stuff

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
reply to post by m4ng4n

Fair enough, but if you should look into the age of mythology as many symbols have carried into the later monotheistic culture and mythology is riddled with tales of humans flying the heavens with gods, not to mention the descriptions of crafts, crafts we later have come to call ufo's.

I´m actually learning more about the subject every day and thats probably why I don´t wish to set dates/follow the dates given.

As for today I saw "UFO hunters - Giant triangles" and the part that caught my attention the most was that they actually made a model of this very artifact and it flew. The most impressive thing was that it actually stalled as if it had had an engine it would have wanted to go on flying!

Now thats something what proves that the culture that made it had expirience in avionics and aerodynamics.

The one in the middle in the video shown at 00:06
www.youtube.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join