It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists complete 'Big Bang' Large Hadron Collider repairs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I found this article yesterday on Yahoo, but it vanished just as fast as it had appeared, I was hoping it would be posted on ATS, and to be honest was surprised I couldn’t find it in the search page.
This Experiment to try and discover what happened right after the Big Bang, and as several Scientists have said find the God particle (which disturbed me some) some things are better left alone, the Experiment came to an abrupt stop at the end of last year 2008, after a major failure involving a leak, prevented the warm up process from continuing, many sighed with relief, others were disappointed, myself I was hoping it was just a way of saving face after a realisation that perhaps more data was needed before commencement of such a World changing Research Project, alas I was disappointed, it was just a small hope after all.
Article from before last years switch on

Engineers have finished the major work of fixing the broken "Big Bang" machine, the largest scientific instrument ever built. The last of 53 replacement magnets for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has been lowered into the 16-mile tunnel straddling the Swiss-French border which houses the machine. Scientists said they were on track to re-start the particle accelerator in the autumn.

Source

There had been challenges made in court to have the Experiment stopped, the reason given was that some thought the research could firstly allow a Black Holes to form, and these Black Holes could travel to the Earths centre, and well the next part is unimaginable IMO, secondly there was a fear that it could tear a hole in the fabric of Space itself, resulting in the destruction of the Universe itself, there were concerns all over the World that to allow this machine to even be switched on was a mistake, and fear began to spread.
Cou rt rejects protest against cern

The machine went into a warm up stage in September, and was stopped after serious malfunctions began to appear, the time the Collider was out of service should IMO have been used for an International Conference, which could have been used for both sides of the argument to present their data, and a Neutral panel could have made a decision on all data provided, again this was not done, I’m sure it would have been proposed, but how seriously those proposals would have been accepted is now evident as no panel or conference was set up.

I know this argument has been gone over and over and over here on ATS, this is a different time, in a World which is full of problems for everyone, a vastly different World than we had back in September 2008, is now the time for this Research to recommence? We all have differing opinions on that I’m sure.
This subject is about to rear its head once again, and indeed the Experiment looks likely to continue later this year, as the news comes out about the repair and the recommencement of the research, is there any more evidence that has come to light that would change the minds of those running this project, the cost was insane in the first place and the cost has risen and will keep rising, can the World even afford this right now?
Are the fears of what could happen really founded on facts, or is it again just scaremongering by uninformed Scientists, my personal thoughts are that there needs to be more of a debate on the dangers surrounding the possible dangers posed by this machine, after all is said and done, it will be too late once the unthinkable occurs, as far as I am aware, nothing could stop such a disaster if the unimaginable happens.

Please share your opinions be they concern or excitement, it would be great if we could do this with respect, no matter what the opinion for or against.
Thank you for reading.

Alternative Source

Tele graph

Official CERN Website

[edit on 5/5/2009 by azzllin]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The LHC is not the first super collider to be built and used, its just bigger than the previous ones, nothing new. As for the dangers, the reactions that take place in the collider happen every second in the upper atmosphere when cosmic rays interact with our planets defenses and pose no real threat. And the micro black holes? According to Einstein its impossible for the LHC to produce them, and even if it did it wouldn't be large enough to sustain itself for more than a fraction of a second. And even if it did, you wouldn't be around long enough to care. Personally, i cant wait until they have it up and running again so they can finally determine there is no higgs boson particle (God particle) and that all matter is merely energy condensed into slow vibrations.

Cheers

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There are a lot of if's included in there, I don't think that us not knowing anything about it cuts the mustard, don't we have a right to live?

No offence but you sound like your unsure about it also, otherwise those if's wouldn't be included, if you knew for certain then you would have said so.

Thank you for your thought.

And as for Einstein, if he was certain and knew everything they wouldn't build it in the first place, the whole idea behind it is because they do not know for sure, is it worth the risk?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

The only people unsure about it seem to know the least about it. Like that high school science teacher who clearly failed high school math behind the lawsuit

It hardly takes a rudimentary understanding of physics to see there is no debate nor controversy; merely a few opportunist contrarians and armchair theologians misrepresenting revelations.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
All I can say is very soon there is probably gonna be a large crater on that border where scientists and experimental equipment used to be.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin

...the whole idea behind it is because they do not know for sure, is it worth the risk?

Is it worth the risk?

If the scientific community actually pandered to the ignorant critics and wasted time debating these baseless accusations of danger and meddling then we would never have discovered anything.

Just think of some examples in history when science was under threat by ignorant people worried about a risk they themselves didn't even understand, and certainly couldn't prove.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
You guys wana here a story....or a experience I had, might be crazy......K, the day was September 10th 2008 12-1am pacific...I was listening to a live radio station that was broadcasting LHC live...I was excited in my bed to see if they do a full test...Well right when they turned it on...I felt a wave, meaning from my head to my feet...of energy...felt good...like ecstasy...Then the wave stop right on the heart chakra....Heart rate started to increase...thought it was just anxiety...this is different....Heart rate increased to 4-6 beats a second...for about 3-5 minutes....I noticed that the "Pineal Gland" is connected to the heart in some way......Thing is, I cant wait tell they fully test the machine....That night they just spun the particles around the LHC...not collided them...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GOTZEUS

You felt that too.... Hmm, I guess it might actually be of benifit to mankind spiritually. That wave completely opened my third eye, but I don't know how to use it...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29
reply to post by GOTZEUS

You felt that too.... Hmm, I guess it might actually be of benifit to mankind spiritually. That wave completely opened my third eye, but I don't know how to use it...

You not the only one

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Pineal gland...what happens if you remove it? I heard on the radio that someone has had it removed.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by greshnik]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by greshnik

I believe it only can be over written...In doing so you transition through another realm or different plane.... Nirvana would be the term...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Its true no one can be %100 sure of anything, and scientists do tend to have a big ego when proclaiming what they know for certain. But i think if anything disastrous were to happen at CERN, it would probably involve the 10,000 tonnes of liquid nitrogen they use to cool the magnets. Also, its been built, took them many years and billions of dollars, and hundreds of scientists call this their baby. So there little chance that a public outcry o fear would do much to stop this anyway.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GOTZEUS
You guys wana here a story....or a experience I had, might be crazy......K, the day was September 10th 2008 12-1am pacific...I was listening to a live radio station that was broadcasting LHC live...I was excited in my bed to see if they do a full test...Well right when they turned it on...I felt a wave, meaning from my head to my feet...of energy...felt good...like ecstasy...Then the wave stop right on the heart chakra....Heart rate started to increase...thought it was just anxiety...this is different....Heart rate increased to 4-6 beats a second...for about 3-5 minutes....I noticed that the "Pineal Gland" is connected to the heart in some way......Thing is, I cant wait tell they fully test the machine....That night they just spun the particles around the LHC...not collided them...

GotZeus, I am not trying to contradict you with this, but if your heartbeat were 4 to 6 beats a second of several minutes? Well 4 beats a second is 240 BPM and 6 beats is 360 BPM, I think your heart or something else would have failed and killed you.

Maybe your subjective perception of time was part of what changed.

I'm no medical expert but I think I am correct.

I found this reference.

Answer to Question of over 300 BPM.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
personally i cannot wait till the experiments at the lhc get back underway. There is so much potential science we could uncover. Fundemental answers that may help end the gravity debate. The quark gluon plasma created there will allow for studies of matter at higher energies and smaller distances the wait is killing me. . .

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So it blew up again did it? Figures...

Bigger doesnt always mean better you know.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
actually there was a quench inside one of the magnetic panels and it breeched the coolant tanks dumping quite a bit of liquid helium. . . in the grand scheme of things that could have gone wrong in such a tech heavy venture this was but a minor setback. .

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I saw an ad for Angels and Demons while having my lunch a little while ago.
This threads timing is hilarious.

I guess these people can't take a trick.
If it was meant to be, it would've happened the first time.
Does anyone really trust these people to know what they are doing?
I'm not feeling at all confident.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I believe,these scientists are trying to open,and stabilize a black hole,in order for the elite to flee this doomed planet.

Where they are going,i do not know!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin..and as several Scientists have said find the God particle (which disturbed me some) some things are better left alone

I have deducted out of my study of the Bible, astronomy, and physics that God may in fact be unlike anything in our imagination, God may actually be a black hole or a very intelligent entity resident in a black hole.

A black hole not only absorbs radiation and matter, it can also absorb information. We don't know for certain what goes inside, but all this information giving it awareness somehow can't be discounted.

These scientists may be thinking the same all along..

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
They collide protons into something, a target.
Is it a metal like aluminum.
And they expect to find something.
The operation specifics are lacking to me.
Tesla applied millions of volts to an aluminum hemisphere
and something came out but has never been revealed.
Hitting a target to add a potential blast might also be done
at the target itself.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join