It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ufology needs a makeover

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think part of why the public doesn't take UFOs seriously (generally) is because of the Hollywood connection.

We need to stop focusing on anal probes and flying saucers and look more into their broader agenda.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

There are too many charlatans out there who are in ufology to make money. There are others who have a cult of personality, and if anyone makes a claim that they are wrong, they send out their wrath to them.

I have also stated it is time for ufology to clean up its act. I also state there are no disinformation agents because ufology does the job itself. We have no vetting program to find out who is right or wrong. No one seems interested in collecting evidence or fact checking someone who makes a claim.

We are the laughing stock of science. The reporters who don the tin foil hats are making fun of the ufology community, and unless there is a widespread effort to cleanse itself, the media is correct in doing so. We had a Dr J Allen Hynek in the past, and it would be wonderful if we could get a Dr Stephen Hawking now to support ufology.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

"I think a lot of people would pay good money to get their hands on a book that details a proper forensic investigation of some well-known incidents in ufology! Furthermore, getting these studies published in some format (preferably in a peer-reviewed journal) would go a long way towards giving ufology a fresh lease on life, so to speak!"

You are exactly right. But you fail to grasp the deeper meaning of “why” the media will refuse at all costs to classify aliens and ufo’s as a serious subject. It is because it is precisely the most serious subject that we can discuss.

No government wants its citizens thinking that a vastly superior technologically advanced race is only 5 light years away from us. NASA has found planets that resemble our own. Massive government resources are spent in this regard. Yet, for obvious reasons, it gets little coverage in the media. The most likely certain existence of aliens within our galactic backyard is a very serious subject. So much so, that its full realization is an all together terrifying one.

Even many UFO-ologists do not fully let their minds grasp the concept. Even to them the idea of an advanced alien civilization next door to us is kept within the realm of fantasy and conjecture instead of the most likely certainty of truth.

Let me tell you something that almost anyone knows, but doesn’t realize. Aliens are real. Other alien worlds are real. They are most likely closer to us than we think, and just as we are now beginning to see their planets, so it is that they most likely observe ours.

The media will only continue to either ignore the topic of aliens, or continue to further degrade the idea of their certain mathematical existence. They will do this because they do not want you, and other rational people, to clamor that the government refocus its resources to discovering the truth of our galaxy. Instead, they want you to focus your attention in matters closer to home, instead of matters beyond solar system.

Imagine what would happen if the world fully accepted and understood the certainty of alien life elsewhere. Firstly, sports would be relegated to the backyard instead of the stadium. The money that now goes towards it would go to research instead. Military spending would also be curtailed to a true defensive level, instead of a global business imperialistic force. Art, literature, psychology, and almost every other liberal ideal would lose focus over physics, chemistry, and the furtherance of technology. The study of robotics would be one of the largest fields of endeavor. Nothing in school would be more important than science. But these changes would not take the form of Star Trek fantasy. Instead, science would have an urgent thrust of militaristic self defense attached to it.

In short order, the one world government would instantly be clamored for by every scientific and efficiently minded person on the planet so that all the worlds resources could be better organized toward the alien questions and solutions that pertain to us all. In the end, every society would be a Nazi society bent on science at all costs to discover, and defend against the unseen, unknown, but certain enemy beyond the horizon of our solar system.

So ask yourself. Do you really want aliens and ufo’s to take center stage? Are you really prepared for the changes in our world that this real threat would dictate? For if you are, then you must also realize that World War Three would also be a certainty. For the world will not unite under even the common goal of alien threat without first fighting itself.

[edit on 6-5-2009 by Hot_Wings]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I kind of wish ATS would create a new forum for this subject. Call it something like " The science and research of UFO's". Where you have to bring something to the table to share and debate.

Film,pictures,documents,physical evidence, eye witness accounts, etc,
And weed out the " I had a cup of coffee with two aliens this morning".

Let that type of believer have the gray,skunk, and alien forums and have this new forum for those with some type of tangible or debatable proof to back up his/her efforts.

This could also be a site for quick reference and related data for easy access for anyone to use.

Maybe take cases on, in a one by one scenario and break them down or build timelines and other evidence criteria to enforce or debunk them.

Could be wrong but I think a forum like this would pull a lot of folks in from lurking and the cold to interject and research.

Maybe not.

[edit on 6-5-2009 by dcmb1490]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
There are a lot of good points here. Even if something is based on scientific principles, we would be just as gullible to blindly believe what we are told unless it can be independently verified through experimentation and shown to reliably reproduce results. I don't want anyone to think that I've made up my mind where this subject is concerned-- I haven't.

As a researcher in a field which is, perhaps among the most relevant to this subject, I know what it takes to get others in the scientific community to believe you, if you present claims that are difficult to believe and/or take seriously. I, for one would love to see ufology gain a more solid foothold in the eyes of the public. Unfortunately, some hardened believers are resisting this approach to the detriment of the field.

I'm already sensing it here... Why don't you want us to take a closer look at things? Why do you get so angry when I can't bring myself to believe you (skeptics and believers alike)? What's wrong with gathering up the scraps of potential evidence and taking a closer look? It isn't always about selling books because it isn't always the authors of these books who complain the loudest when a more in-depth look is called for.

I sometimes wonder if those who have been fortunate enough to experience a sighting/contact are afraid to take a second look. I can't completely blame them if that's how they feel. I wouldn't want to place myself at risk for further ridicule either and I can't guarantee that a closer look is going to turn up anything to support their claims. We will always be limited by the tools at our disposal. Still, I feel it is in everyone's best interests to make the most valiant effort we can in trying to ascertain whether or not we are being visited, by whom and why.

We can't afford to lose touch with the consequences of our actions where such an incredible phenomenon is concerned. No matter which path we collectively choose to take, we will pay a price. We can preserve our way of life for now by sticking our heads in the sand and possibly pay for our ignorance later (leaving us unprepared) or we can make sacrifices in the short-term which may drastically alter our daily existence, yet provide us with some sort of strategic advantage that could help ensure our long-term survival.

Even if I chose to believe that we are being visited, there isn't anything one person can do (alone) to change the world and the way everyone else perceives ufology. The only way to strengthen the movement is through the accumulation of evidence and hard data. If we do not subject what little trace evidence we have to proper testing, then ufology will remain in its current state.

So.... what's it going to be?

[edit on 6-5-2009 by X-tal_Phusion]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hot_Wings
You are exactly right. But you fail to grasp the deeper meaning of “why” the media will refuse at all costs to classify aliens and ufo’s as a serious subject.

Theres an interesting film here about that:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Cheers.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thank you Karl that is a wonderful video. I look forward to one day reading the book that he wrote.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
James Fox for UFO affairs president !!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

sooo apparently the problem isn't the guy watching football, afterall!

was an interesting video

[edit on 7-5-2009 by undo]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by karl 12

sooo apparently the problem isn't the guy watching football, afterall!

was an interesting video

Glad you liked it

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join