It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen homeschooler jailed under Patriot Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Teen homeschooler jailed under Patriot Act

www.worldnetdaily.com

A 16-year-old homeschooled boy from North Carolina was taken away from his home in handcuffs two months ago and has been held by the FBI in Indiana ever since, a victim, his mother claims, of the Patriot Act spun out of control.

According to Annette Lundeby of Oxford, N.C., armed FBI agents and local police stormed her home around 10 p.m. on March 5, looking for her son, Ashton. The officers presented a federal search warrant and seized the tenth-grader's computer, cell phone and bank statem
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Soon after the Columbine incedent in Colorado , my home was raided by police in response to a 'prank' call made by my son's highschool classmates alleging that he was about to go on a shooting rampage. I understand that the police were just doing their job. Point is ,that is all it takes to have your son or daughter taken away . Truly we have become a police state now that the Patriot Act is being used against its own citizens as stated in the video in the article.

www.worldnetdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
And it's only going to get worse.

After the columbine thing i was basically kicked out of school for little more reason than the fact that i'm partial to black clothing.

Back on topic:

We are going to start seeing this happen more often until we finally don't notice it anymore. Rounding up citizens for little or no reason is and always has been the intent of the patriot act.

TA

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
So what are the authorities supposed to do?

Are they supposed to not investigate, or just investigate casually?

I understand the problems we're facing here, an IP address is nothing like DNA, in the sense that it can be obscured, faked, etc., but the FBI agents were just doing their job.

Even if no bomb making materials were found, that doesn't indicate a threat wasn't made.

People make false threats all the time, it's no less a criminal act.

I think people should wait and see what it's all about before they jump to conclusions, and that goes for those presuming him either guilty or innocent. Let the system work.

That said, I detest the patriot act and would love to see a return to rational, transparent law enforcement in this country.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

They've had the kid since March 5 without any charges. What the hell are they waiting on. It's a 16 year old, they have no physical evidence other than what they eavesdropped upon. They have no contacts to a larger agenda, they have no connection to extremist groups. The kid was probably being an idiot. But no one in the US deserves this. There is a Constitution for a reason. It is the Supreme law of the Land and remains so today. These things should be banned from ever taking place.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
So what are the authorities supposed to do?

Are they supposed to not investigate, or just investigate casually?

I understand the problems we're facing here, an IP address is nothing like DNA, in the sense that it can be obscured, faked, etc., but the FBI agents were just doing their job.

Even if no bomb making materials were found, that doesn't indicate a threat wasn't made.

People make false threats all the time, it's no less a criminal act.

I think people should wait and see what it's all about before they jump to conclusions, and that goes for those presuming him either guilty or innocent. Let the system work.

That said, I detest the patriot act and would love to see a return to rational, transparent law enforcement in this country.
I agree with most of what you are saying, problem is that the system doesn't work. Yes, the authorities are doing their jobs, but loosing your child over false accusations or having your house raided by police in front of your neighbors without ever checking where these accusations originated. The Patriot Act strips you of any and all rights.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I feel for this kid, I kind of know what it is like. I had a Central Intelligence Agent for an inhome tutor when I was 14.

There are problem kids and then there are kids that are a problem.

Someone young who hasn't been succesfully brainwashed can often be an incredible threat to the system and the government. They don't really know that they could loose, and they don't really quite appreciate the concept of mortality either.

This kid must have put up a heck of a fight, had the real ability to pull logistical and strategic planning together, and could inspire enough of his peer group to logistically make his plans work.

This kid is likely a genious, and a hero, and we should find out who he is and take up the cause of seeing that what ever he is being subjected to is a transparent process and to try to free him from it.

I have some good news though...they actually did stuff like this before the Patriot Act.

I think that's good news?

Probably not, but hey lets face it good news is kind of tuff to come by these days!

new topics

top topics

join