It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant tsunami swept through New York City 2,000 years ago, say scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Giant tsunami swept through New York City 2,000 years ago, say scientists

www.dailymail.co. uk

A giant wave crashed over New York 2,300 years ago, scientists claimed yesterday.
Geological experts say the ancient tsunami dumped sediment, shells and marine fossils across the region that date back to 300BC.
A similar size wave today would flood Wall Street and central Manhattan with salt water.

Because Atlantic tsunamis are so rare, experts had previously given little thought to the possibility of one striking New York City.
But Dr Steven Goodbred, an Earth scientist at Vanderbilt University, said the size and distribution of the material discovered buried beneath the surface suggest
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
In the article they mention that they foudn the fact that such a wave had hit New York about 2,000 years ago, although they need confirmation with further studies to track the date to the nearest century.

Imagine a 12 foot wage hitting New York one of these days. It is not as bad as the one depicted in "the Day After Tomorrow" but in this day-and-age, such a wave would still cause massive loss of life, as well as damage to buildings, not to mention cars.

www.dailymail.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
That would be some sight . In a negative way , ofcourse.
I all ways wondered about Miami, since it so flat it wouldnt stand much of an water level rise, would it ?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Similar Tsunami findings have been found on the Cornish and Irish coasts where huge Reef Boulders weighing many Tonnes have been found lifted from the Seabed and dumped onshore far above the high tide mark.
Personally I believe the only explanation is the Atlantic Fault that seperates the European plate from America, occasionally this can "Snap" much like the Indonesian Fault did (although under different Tectonic circumstances.) There are quite a few run-off faults from the Atlantic Ridge and my own personal belief is that pressure is still building as one of these fault lines has been snagged over thousands of years, and it wont be too long until something breaks again.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

If/when the western flank of the Cumbre Vieja falls into the Atlantic Ocean, the resulting Mega-tsunami will make the "Day After Tomorrow" tsunami look like a picnic.

Wikipedia: Cumbre Vieja

Computer modelling indicates that the resulting initial wave may attain a local amplitude (height) in excess of 600 metres (1,969 ft) and an initial peak to peak height that approximates to 2 kilometres (1 mi), and travel at about 1,000 kilometres per hour (621 mph) (approximately the speed of a jet aircraft), inundating the African coast in about 1 hour, the southern coast of England in about 3.5 hours, and the eastern seaboard of North America in about 6 hours, by which time the initial wave would have subsided into a succession of smaller ones each about 30 metres (98 ft) to 60 metres (197 ft) high.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Excellent post. As sheltered as Manhattan island is by Long Island and the harbor one can appreciate how serious a tsunami this must have been. I know most of the major buildings in downtown Manhattan struggle with keeping the waters of the harbor out, a modern-day tsunami would cost many billions in damages.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That's actually a horrifying mental image. Tsunami's always petrified me as a kid.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Damn that HAARP program controled the weather even 2300 years ago. I can't believe they had that technology then. This just goes to prove the weather is it's own beast that no one can control.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
While the continental shelf would in fact push the water up, wouldn't it also take away some of the momentum? This changing a wave potentially hundreds of feet high into a wave only a few feet high by landfall?

Just curious.

top topics

join