It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To kill a mocking bird at Walmart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I was at walmart recently browsing the books and noticed that although most of the books are newish (and ones I've never heard of) they have *two* copies of 'to kill a mocking bird'.

One in the adult fiction section and one in the young readers section. I thought that was a bit weird since it was one of the few `classics` they had on hand.

thoughts?

ps. the two copies looked different, different covers, etc - it's not just the same book in two spots. they actually bothered to order two different copies.

edit : title, spelling, formatting

[edit on 5-5-2009 by autsse]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'm surprised they stock it at all, what with their policies on music and the current level of insanity in the populace. It often gets flagged as a racist book by the PC police, that and things like Huck Finn, or some Shakespear (these jewish stereotypes just won't do!)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

Despite the fact that if they read it, they'd discover that "To killl a mockingbird" is anything but rascist. It's one of my favorite books of all time.

...and oddly enough, the movie was actually better. With Gregory Peck.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by RubberBaron

Despite the fact that if they read it, they'd discover that "To killl a mockingbird" is anything but rascist. It's one of my favorite books of all time.

Dude, no-one reads the book anymore, we can tell from the cover, or the coverage on FOX News, if it needs to be destroyed.

Less book learnin', more book burnin' yee haw!

[edit on 5/5/2009 by RubberBaron]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

My daughter had to read that book last year and I took the opportunity to read it once again for the umpteenth time. It really is one of the greatest books of all time and, as you wrote, a wonderful movie as well.

It's unusual for Walmart to exhibit good taste...what's up with that?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Im not really seeing the conspiracy. Its one of the better books I have ever read. Im kind of surprised you were even able to find it at a Walmart, but I haven't been inside one in years so I dont know much about their stocking habits.

" swore never to read again after To Kill a Mockingbird gave me no useful advice on killing Mockingbirds! It did teach me not to judge a man by the color of his skin, but what good does that do me?"

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Have to agree.... the movie is beautiful.

One of my favourites of all time....a true classic.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
When I read the title of the OP, I thought you where talking about the real birds. We have Mocking birds in the trees at our local Wal-mart.

Now, that would have been a good conspiracy...............

lol

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

That comment broke me up, I needed a laugh this morning!
I have heard knee jerk comments on that book being racist but I can't for the life of me see how the message in that book could possibly be twisted to make it racist in any fashion! Great movie and one of Pecks best!

Zindo

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
Im not really seeing the conspiracy.

I've heard once or twice that a few famous killers have been big big fans of the book. The only one google turned up was Sirhan Sirhan, the person blamed for the killing of RFK.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Wal Mart isn't really known for their vast array of books to begin with. I'm suprised you found the book in the first place. Last time I went to Wal Mart their were alot of self help, cooking and Obama books.

top topics

join