It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court rules for [illegal] immigrant in ID theft case

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by geo1066
If you pay the 50k, we, the great people of the United States will give it back to you and you don't have to pay it back. What a deal! Me being a 'natural-born' citizen am not qualified for this program-

That's GREAT!

But let me ask you, what makes you think that people looking for jobs to feed their families have 50K lying around under their beds in the first place?

Originally posted by geo1066
"This country was founded on the melting pot of migrants that traveled here to start a new life.

Propoganda!
Pure and utter Propoganda!
Start a new life, still an ongoing tradition?
Tell that to the natives

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
How did you get a social security number? Did you provide false birth record documents? If so, then you are a criminal as well. Lying is not a defense in any circumstance.

Merigold don't answer to this ad-hominem.

What is this????????

OP, no personal attacks please, stay on topic in YOUR thread.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I want to answer the question, I'm not in the least bit worried - I have absolutley no intention or desire to ever return to the United States.

Before 9/11 getting documents, legally, was so much easier then most of you realize. Especially for me, the kind of illegal immigrant the most of you don't mind, the white, fluent english speaker who doesn't threaten your sense of "americaness". My parents went to the local social security office, filled out the paperwork and got the cards in the mail a few weeks later. They didn't lie about our country of birth either.

When I was 16 I got my DL. No problems.
When I was 16 I got my first job. No problem.
When I was 17 I got caught smoking an illegal substance( which shouldn't be illegal, but that's another post). Went to a class, paid some fines, did some community service, got my record expunged. No problem.
When I turned 18 I got my voters registration ( and voted in every single election I could). No problem.
When I was 19 I signed up for a Pell grant. No problem.
When I was 22 I stared work for a company for which I needed a security check. No problem. Worked there for 8 years too!

Then 9/11 happened. At the same time, I needed a new Social security card and I went to down to my local office to apply. This time I was a bit paranoid, so I lied about my place of birth. That started a chain reaction which resulted in me leaving the country in which I'd lived all my life. A country I called home. It was a painful and difficult time in my life. I had to go to a country to which I didn't know the language, the culture was radically different and my Americaness wasn't appreciated.

Today I am a productive tax payer and responsibile citizen of the United Kingdom. I chose the UK mainly because in my country of birth I was seen as an American, and that was determental to my life.

Back then I was an illegal alien, but I was still a person with hopes, dreams and morality.

Illegal aliens, undocumented workers, immigrants - They are people too.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold

Back then I was an illegal alien, but I was still a person with hopes, dreams and morality.

Illegal aliens, undocumented workers, immigrants - They are people too.

I'm not discounting you as a person and I do agree that illegal aliens and undocumented workers are people too. But, that's not what this is all about. It's about people following the rules of land. If you intentionally break the law (as in this case), then you are putting yourself above the others that follow the law. What makes you more special than the others?

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
For one thing, the man was not an immigrant, he was an invader. And for another thing, the man said he didn't know the card belonged to a real person? Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, they always told me. I think it's time to put a stop to this Mexican Invasion on our soil, and repel the invaders. If we fail in this, our identities will be taken over, and our children's identities will be taken over. Do we stand by, blissfully unaware, and let this happen? It looks like the courts are powerless to stop it, allowing a defence like this one. How about if I did this in Mexico, and got caught? what do you think would happen to me if I were caught working there, using someone else's ID? I think we should throw out all of the illegals, no matter where they came from, and make them immigrate the correct way. All we have to do is support the laws already on the books, and close them down on the jobs they get, and keep them from using our hospitals as their personal doctor's office, and take away their credit...they will go on their own if there are no jobs. I wonder what the Border guards would do if it were Columbians coming across the border, or Brazilians, or Arabs? I think they would shoot first, and ask questions later.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

It's about people following the rules of land. If you intentionally break the law (as in this case), then you are putting yourself above the others that follow the law. What makes you more special than the others?

I understand what you are saying. I don't have a good answer. I can only speak from personal experience, yes I broke the law many times, by working, voting, driving and getting an education. Yes the gentleman in the article broke the law. Yes, millions of illegals break the law for a chance to work in America - I don't have an answer to that - I do understand it though - and am sympathetic to the poor and disenfranchised that see no legal way to enter the country due to lack of funds.

The truth is to enter the country legally requires money. I was told point blank by the INS and my lawyer that it wold take thousands of dollars to get it all sorted. I could have got the money but in the end it just wasn't worth it. Afterall I came from a wealthy western country, I wouldn't be going back to a third world hell hole - But imagine for those people for who's retrun to their country means extereme poverty, political and religous persecution - In those shoes I'd happily break the law too to come and stay.

I've a soft spot in my very liberal heart for the illegals from Mexico, it just seems that they, especially here on ATS, are "invaders" and "criminals" not due to their " undocumented" status but due to their country of origin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join