It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012: Just a Perception?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I have no clue if anyone has brought this to light, but I believe that 2012 is just a perception upon what other people have passed on over years. Think about it, if nobody had ever told you anything about doomsday, or something happening in or around Dec. 21st, 2012, would you have any idea that some major catastrophe, or enlightenment was supposed to take place? You would just go about your life, and something may or may not happen. Am I right? Any thoughts?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I don't think anyone is saying 2012 is doomsday, they just know that we are a solar sysem spinning and moving around the galaxy. Ist is obvious we would break down this going around the gaalxy into segments, and attribute some sort of language to each zone or what ever.

Do the heavens effect us on earth, plenty think so, so who knows if it is just perception or whatever. But one think is for sure something is happening, whether that is just the internet or something more who knows.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Here's a nice example why it could very well be a collective construct made purely of fear:
My mother, who is really into New Age-ism and everything that comes with it - including 2012 - mentioned the whole 'end of the world as we know it' concept and the idea that it would come to pass in 2012 just tangently during a conversation we were having. My little sister (who's 18, but she'll always be little) then freaked out, as it was the first time she heard about anything 2012-ish. She immediately, without hearing any concrete information, constructed the idea that 'everyone knew that everything was going to go bad in 2012'. You know what that feeling is (more or less from the first time you experienced it). It took us 10 minutes to get her from hyperventilating, just trying to steer her newly adapted 'knowledge' into something manageable. This was very, very hard to do, as she kept 'grasping the concept', and that kept freaking her out.
This just goes to show that the 'concept' is much stronger than any concrete evidence. The idea that we all know it's gonna go down - that will supersede any message of how we would be going down. So that 'message' can spread without being bounded by content - eventually the concept gets into everyone's skin and people start to look for anything that fits. In this way I have several friends that each heard 'about 2012' in another way, and they all think completely different about it.

I think the next of such years is 2019. Let's see if this will catch on

[edit on 5-5-2009 by scraze]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
the odds of an "end date" prediction for the world are not in anyones favor because of how long this planet has been spinning and the fact that everyones past predicted date has peen wrong. However the definition of "END" is pretty vague. will this planet cease to exist (explode,burn) or will a certain government collapse, or will all humans die, or will they all just want to? nothing seems specific enough for me except that the Mayan calender will cease to function as a calender.Quite literaly. the circles of the calender will not line up after Dec. 21 (or about)2012. THE END seems to be the victim of some peoples short attention span and long windedness. It should be said "the end of the mayan calender." But I could be wrong. I guess a sliver of doubt keeps me openminded but faithless. I'll be the first to admit i've been wrong, once, when i thought i was wrong.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by scraze

I think the next of such years is 2019. Let's see if this will catch on

Yes, lets hope that is the case, but 2019 dont have the back-up of an entire Maya civilization with 3 calendars ending at the same time.
It wouldnt have the same impact, trust me !

2012 sound cooler, dont you know, say it many times , 2012 2012 2012, it's just an super cool sound...

Jokes aside, in 2012 maya and Hopi say 'world-wide doom' and not end of life and human race, I can't see the difference, but, Hopi are wating for the elder council to allow them to speak of more details regarding 2012.

They do belive a pole shift is imminent just after an magnetic shift, so that's something to watch out for.
But, the Bible ends in 2012 too, the nostrudamus prophecy and the Orion prophecy and the I ching if Im not mistaking..

As you can gather,2019 wouldnt sell that many books !!!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I absolutely agree, 2012 has a nice sound to it.

If you allow me, lets study your case:

Originally posted by ChemBreather
[..] Hopi are wating for the elder council to allow them to speak of more details regarding 2012.

They do belive a pole shift is imminent just after an magnetic shift, so that's something to watch out for.
But, the Bible ends in 2012 too, the nostrudamus prophecy and the Orion prophecy and the I ching if Im not mistaking..

You seem to have various sources 'confirming' large events in 2012. However - if you'll endure - the Bible and Nostradamus never mention 2012, the Orion Prophecy (the book) does, but it's highly speculative. No matter how feeble each story individually appears to be, when people have many of such stories they have something to cling on. And since the subject is quite spectacular, they do - and the stories keep circulating.

Of course I'm assuming a heck of a lot here, so maybe - could you tell us from each story where you heard it from (source), how much attention you paid to details, etc? :]

[edit on 5-5-2009 by scraze]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
i have almost given up on the whole 2012 thing because the truth is that no one can know for sure if anything will happen or what it might be until it rolls around. and if it passes and nothing happens, then cool! the thing is that even before i heard anything on the subject, ever since i was just a little kid, i have always had a strange feeling about 2012 that i cant really put my finger on...anyone else?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by scraze

Ah the poor dear, hope she'll be alright when the end comes!

top topics

join