It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use Of Drugs To Treat Mental Illness Rockets In The U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Use Of Drugs To Treat Mental Illness Rockets In The U.S.

www.dbtechno.com

The use of prescription drugs to treat mental illnesses has spiked among Americans.

The time frame they focused on was from 1996 through 2006 as they monitored usage and trends among Americans.

Breaking it down, in 2006 there were 73% more American adults, and 50% more kids taking these drugs to treat mental illnesses.

This was compared directly to the use of the drugs by adults and kids in the year 1996.

Not only has drug usage gone up, but so have cases of mental illness.

From 1996 to 2006, children diagnosed with a mental illness doubled.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
What's going on man?
How come people living in the "land of opportunity" take so many antidepressants but people in 3rd world countries take none?

I've been to india, in villages, , villages with no TV or sometimes no electricity. Though the people there aren't at all up to date on world events at all, they are all healthy and extremely family oriented. I brought painkillers with me to give them since there's no clinics in that area, they all laughed at me and declined the offer.

So what exactly is going on? What's this dependancy?

I remember a guest on the Colbert Report talking about evolution. He said that human evolution is no longer in the hands of.... well evolution. It's in the hands of big pharma now.

How we now evolve will very much depend on all the pills we take.

We destroyed the natural course of evolution! Now if I want to see how evolution progresses I will have to buy a planet ticket to a third world country.

Interesting!!!

www.dbtechno.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Too right, people should try to limit intake of any pills. People take pills for even the smallest headache, like you said above is not really important. We have all in the west become so dependent on drugs and dcotors it is a joke. Of course some of us are more likely to be sick than others, but most people seem to take drugs for everything.

People in america would be better of just doing excercise than taking drugs for depression in most cases. The doubling of cases of children beng diagnosed with depression is down to computer games and not getting exercise and a good diet, just junk food.

Man how did humans live before big pharma like you say?

[edit on 5/5/2009 by andy1033]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Not really going to base a 3 year old study on what is happening today.

I'm sure since then new restrictions on who gets what and how much have been put into place.

I'm sure your source will show that in their 2009 survey they will do in 2012.

top topics

join