Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Hapkeite, the new mineral from the moon

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is not the area I usually post in, but I saw this news item, and thought I'd share it. It about the discovery of a new mineral from the moon:

"A new mineral formed by repeated bombardments from meteorites and other space debris has been found in a meteorite that fell to Earth from the moon in 2000, researchers reported on Monday.

...The new mineral is named hapkeite, after Bruce Hapke, an emeritus professor of geology and planetary sciences at Cornell University in New York, who predicted its discovery.

...In theory, it is formed by the impact of micrometeorites traveling at high speed. The heat from their impact melts and vaporizes metals, which are then redeposited on rock fragments as tiny, scattered beads in a glassy coating. "

the article continues

www.lpi.usra.edu...

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Interesting,...I wonder if this can help explain the 'pellets' strewn about mars, as well as the glassy moist looking surfaces on the rocks.

Lots of Iron too, and iron oxide is reddish, kinda like mars soil.

Interesting.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You'd think this would get some media attention. It caught my eye...too bad I know so little about this science stuff. Maybe there'll be more posts forthcoming?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
here's another link
news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040426/ap_on_sc/moon_mineral_1

i thought this to be very interesting, i suppose this is only big news to a selected group of people in society, but it's still interesting.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by IKnowNothing

"A new mineral formed by repeated bombardments from meteorites and other space debris has been found in a meteorite that fell to Earth from the moon in 2000, researchers reported on Monday.

can someone please explain to me how a meteorite can fall to Earth from the moon in 2000?

How long have these meteorites been falling from the moon to the earth?

Has anyone been injured from one of these meteorites?

What form of violation of the absolute objective laws of physics causes these meteorites to dislodge from the surface of the moon, overcome the gravity of the moon, (1/2 th of Earth) and launch or propel themselves accurately across 356,400 km to 406,700 km?

I am more intrigued and interested by this relative hidden and secret fact than the actual new mineral.

I am going to start a new thread on the topic of meteorites dislodging themselves from the surface of the moon and aiming and launching themselves at the earth. This could be the ultimate answer to launching orbital space craft, satellites and space vehicles by being able to understand and harness and replicate this new event.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

From Wikipedia meteorites.wustl.edu...

"Most lunar meteorites are launched from the Moon by impacts making lunar craters of a few kilometers in diameter or less. [...] After leaving the Moon, most lunar meteoroids go into orbit around Earth and eventually succumb to Earth's gravity. Some meteoroids ejected from the Moon get launched into orbits around the sun. These meteoroids remain in space longer but eventually intersect the Earth's orbit and land."

More info from meteorites.wustl.edu...

"How Did Lunar Meteorites Get Here?

Meteoroids strike the Moon every day. Lunar escape velocity averages 2.38 km/s (1.48 miles per second), only a few times the muzzle velocity of a rifle (0.7-1.0 km/s). Any rock on the lunar surface that is accelerated by the impact of a meteoroid to lunar escape velocity or greater will leave the Moon's gravitational influence. Most rocks ejected from the Moon become captured by the gravitational field of either the Earth or the Sun and go into orbit around these bodies. Over a period of a few years to tens of thousands of years, those orbiting the Earth eventually fall to Earth. Those in orbit around the Sun may also eventually strike the Earth up to a few tens of millions of years after they were launched from the Moon."

join