It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coup attempt in Georgia *Coup over*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Georgian troops 'launch mutiny'

news.bbc.co.uk

A tank battalion has mutinied at a military base near Georgia's capital, Tbilisi, the government has said.

Tanks and armoured personnel carriers are being sent to quell the rebellion at the Mukhrovani base, reports say.

The authorities say the mutiny is part of an attempted coup - linked to Russia and aimed at assassinating President Mikhail Saakashvili.

Russia's envoy to Nato described the charges as "mad". The trouble comes a day before Nato exercises in Georgia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
This looks like a coup attempt. And NATO exercise in Georgia starts tomorrow... the timing.. what a thing.

Now it failed and of course Georgia is accusing Russia.

The Defense minister was arrested.

Doesn't matter that the people of Georgia want Saakasvilli out of there...

This will be interesting what NATO says about it.

More info:
Churkin accuses Georgia of provocations on the border with Abkhazia and South Ossetia

Russia’s ambassador at the United Nations vitally Churkin has accused Georgia of provocations in the areas that are adjacent to Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

Georgia uncovers military plot

Georgian Interior Ministry says Russia had planned to organize a military uprising in various military divisions of Georgia. Shota Utiashvili, the head of the PR department of the ministry reported the details of the uprising plans to media today.

the commanders of several armored-tank battalions declared disobedience and uprising.

According to their scheme, it had to be a large-scale uprising aiming at disruption of the NATO-Georgia exercises and the overthrowing the government.

Let's hope we don't have another war over this.

What we don't need too is a russian invasion of georgia to support the coup. That would create a lot of tensions, if not all out war.

And last update on this post: on romanian TV, they say that 30 tanks are heading to the rebel base.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Yep, Georgia is blaming Russia...

Georgia accuses Russia of plotting coup

Georgia has accused Russia of plotting a military coup in the former Soviet republic only a day before NATO exercises.

Georgia's Interior Ministry said Tuesday that the alleged military coup, which was centered around the Mukhrovani Military Base in the Gori region, was aimed at destabilizing the country and "overthrowing the authorities militarily".

According to the BBC, the alleged plotters also wanted to assassinate President Mikhail Saakashvili.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Holy Crap, I hope this aint for real, this could be a very big pre-text in more upcomming battles. Lets wait a couple days and see what happens.
Not good.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
If the Georgian government was not so jingoistic and bumptious then I doubt the opposition in the country would be implementing a potential coup.

The restrictions and intimidation by the Georgian authorities (against opposition movements) are not prevalent in the Western media.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
More info on the coup:

Georgia's top defense officers arrested, coup continuing

One organizer of the coup is Giya Gvaladze, head of the special task unit Delta in the 1990s, while another leader Koba Otaradze is still at large, according to Interfax.

The arrested officers will be charged with planning a coup and involvement in the Russian special services, Utiashvili said.

"The Russians will come to help us, a total of 5,000 people, who intend to liquidate such leaders as Interior Minister Vano Merabishvili," Gvaladze said in the video, according to Interfax.

"If the coup is a success, Georgia will reunite with Russia," Gvaladze said in the video, adding that elections would be held in Georgia if the coup succeeds.

Moscow response:

Georgia trying to blame Russia for its internal political problems -Russian Foreign Ministry official

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Doesn't matter that the people of Georgia want Saakasvilli out of there...

As I'm not up on all of the politics of this area, where do you get this information? I wasn't aware of that.

Let's hope we don't have another war over this.

What we don't need too is a russian invasion of georgia to support the coup. That would create a lot of tensions, if not all out war.

This will happen - maybe not this time, but it will happen.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Military coup over... it failed

Military uprising over
05.05.09 16:47

The military uprising at Mukhrovani military base is over - the rebels have dropped the arms and surrendered to the police. The soldiers have been taken away from the base with the buses. Part of the organizers of the coup have escaped and the police is searching for them now.

Can you imagine if those people flee to South Ossetia-Abkhazia and the Russian protects them?

As I'm not up on all of the politics of this area, where do you get this information? I wasn't aware of that.

People had big protests for weeks all around the country asking for Saakasvilli to quit.

NATO exercises to start tomorrow.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Update: Might be real or not... if real... HOLY JEBUS.

Russia is massing up naval forces off Georgian shores -- president says

Military and Security
5/5/2009 4:34:00 PM
www.kuna.net.kw

MOSCOW, May 5 (KUNA) -- Georgia accused Russia on Tuesday of massing up naval forces off its Black Sea shores.

President Mikheil Saakashvili said in a televised statement that Russia has declared a state of alert for its naval forces and massed up warships in the sea off the Georgian coast.

Russia is trying to foment disturbances in the country but conditions have remained under control, he said.

The Russians have reinforced their military presence in Abkhazia and South Ossetia and are trying to encourage riots in Georgia, he added.

Meanwhile, Russian military officials denied the Georgian charges. (pickup previous) as.rk KUNA 051634 May 09NNNN

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Pic

TBILISI, May 4 (RIA Novosti) - The Georgian opposition continued its peaceful protests against the president on Monday and said it intended to set up new wooden jail cells with volunteers inside near Tbilisi's City Hall. Protesters have been on the streets in the Georgian capital since April 9 demanding the resignation of President Mikheil Saakashvili.

en.rian.ru...
en.rian.ru...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Unofficial Russian and independent Georgian sources indicate that there are armored vehicles on the streets of Tbilisi. There are also reported to be helicopters in the air. I don't know if this is true, but it if it - my guess is that this is a defense measure by Saakashvilli. Georgia has an unofficial martial law in effect now, but it was started even before this alleged coup - in anticipation of NATO exercises.

I am trying tp verify the news about tanks in Tbilisi with my friend who lives in the city.

Does anyone know the status of NATO troops in Georgia? Have they arrived yet? Where are they stationed?

As for blaming Russia - that is an expected move by Saakashvilli. Who better to blame than the evil Ruskies who want to destroy Saakashvilli's flourishing democracy.

The Russian interior ministry issued a statement today that they have nothing to do with a coup, if there even was one. This could very well have been made up by Saakashvilli to get some much needed support by the West. The Georgian military is currently very tightly under his control - and that is why he is still in power.

My guess is that if there was or still is a coup attempt, Russia will stay out militarily but could lend intelligence assistance to the opposition. The question is of course what this would mean for NATO exercises. Technically the point of the exercises is not to protect Saakashvilli, but who knows what other trick he will pull.

Is there anyone who still thinks this moronic exercise stunt by NATO was a good idea?

[edit on 5-5-2009 by maloy]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Update: Might be real or not... if real... HOLY JEBUS.

Looks like more BS from Saaka. The Russian Black Sea fleet in Crimia has not seen any deployement. All they did was give notification to Ukraine that they could deploy in the period of the coming weeks, but nothing yet.

Also the facts about the supposed coup do not add up. For one thing, the rebel troops reportedly wanted to capture Rustavi TV station. But the station is non operational right now and has been closed for weeks.

I think this coup may very well be made-up to play into the hands of Saakashvilli. As for tanks in Tbilisi - nothing better to scare protesting population into submission than parading tanks arounds the capital and yelling "coup" at the top of your lungs.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Wouldn't surprise me if the tie chewing idiot thought it would be a good idea to start another war with Russia while the NATO troops are in his country. Or the NATO exercise is a cover and this is another plan to drag Russia into a war with the west.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
double post

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Nato to begin Georgia exercises

There's something interesting:

For Georgia, which has been promised eventual Nato membership, the exercises are a sign that, despite doubts over its candidate status after last year's war with Russia, it has not been forgotten.

Crazy I tell ya.

top topics

join