It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epidemic Influenza And Vitamin D

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I guess our hospital was under luckier stars as only about 12% of our patients were infected and no one died. However, as the epidemic progressed, I noticed something unusual. First, the ward below mine was infected, and then the ward on my right, left, and across the hall - but no patients on my ward became ill. My patients had intermingled with patients from infected wards before the quarantines. The nurses on my unit cross-covered on infected wards. Surely, my patients were exposed to the influenza A virus. How did my patients escape infection from what some think is the most infectious of all the respiratory viruses?

A short while later, a group of scientists from UCLA published a remarkable paper in the prestigious journal, Nature. The UCLA group confirmed two other recent studies, showing that a naturally occurring steroid hormone - a hormone most of us take for granted - was, in effect, a potent antibiotic. Instead of directly killing bacteria and viruses, the steroid hormone under question increases the body's production of a remarkable class of proteins, called antimicrobial peptides. The 200 known antimicrobial peptides directly and rapidly destroy the cell walls of bacteria, fungi, and viruses, including the influenza virus, and play a key role in keeping the lungs free of infection. The steroid hormone that showed these remarkable antibiotic properties was plain old vitamin D.
www.medicalnewstoday.com...

This is a very interesting article. I am convinced there is a cure for naturally occurring viruses as we are intricately woven together w/nature. Life is simple and we depend upon one another. Read this:

The third way vitamin D is different from other vitamins is the dramatic difference between natural vitamin D nutrition and the modern one. Today, most humans only make about a thousand units of vitamin D a day from sun exposure; many people, such as the elderly or African Americans, make much less than that. How much did humans normally make? A single, twenty-minute, full body exposure to summer sun will trigger the delivery of 20,000 units of vitamin D into the circulation of most people within 48 hours. Twenty thousand units, that's the single most important fact about vitamin D. Compare that to the 100 units you get from a glass of milk, or the several hundred daily units the U.S. government recommend as "Adequate Intake." It's what we call an "order of magnitude" difference.

The “flu” and the “cold” are winter time illinesses when we have less exposure to the sun hence less Vitamin D.

What do you think about the source of Vitamin D from pills!

I appreciate your input to questions posed:

. 1. Why the flu predictably occurs in the months following the winter solstice, when vitamin D levels are at their lowest,1. Why the flu predictably occurs in the months following the winter solstice, when vitamin D levels are at their lowest,

2. Why it disappears in the months following the summer solstice,

3. Why influenza is more common in the tropics during the rainy season,

4. Why the cold and rainy weather associated with El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO), which drives people indoors and lowers vitamin D blood levels, is associated with influenza,

5. Why the incidence of influenza is inversely correlated with outdoor temperatures,

6. Why children exposed to sunlight are less likely to get colds,

7. Why cod liver oil (which contains vitamin D) reduces the incidence of viral respiratory infections,

8. Why Russian scientists found that vitamin D-producing UVB lamps reduced colds and flu in schoolchildren and factory workers,
9. Why Russian scientists found that volunteers, deliberately infected with a weakened flu virus - first in the summer and then again in the winter - show significantly different clinical courses in the different seasons,

10. Why the elderly who live in countries with high vitamin D consumption, like Norway, are less likely to die in the winter,

11. Why children with vitamin D deficiency and rickets suffer from frequent respiratory infections,

12. Why an observant physician (Rehman), who gave high doses of vitamin D to children who were constantly sick from colds and the flu, found the treated children were suddenly free from infection,

13. Why the elderly are so much more likely to die from heart attacks in the winter rather than in the summer,

14. Why African Americans, with their low vitamin D blood levels, are more likely to die from influenza and pneumonia than Whites are

www.vitamindcouncil.com...

[edit on 5-5-2009 by musselwhite]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This is pretty cool if true.

We'll all die of flu, and the world will be left to a bunch of nudists...

I thought it was supposed to be the meek? What will happen to the meek?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CityIndian

in my humble opinion, the meek will inherit the earth. things are not complex as made out to be. life is simple.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CityIndian

i too am part Indian........Cherokee and Crowe. I've studied the nations. I love them.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
For further good news on Vit D (and links to buying some of course
)

www.naturalnews.com...

www.abacohealth.com...

also meant to be good is Vit C, Green Tea, St johns Wort, Fresh Garlic all of which are excellent anti virals and Green tea also decreases the Cytokine effect as does Vit E

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

i believe the riches source of vitamin d is the sun. reading the article turned on a light for me. we, the people, are encouraged to use sun block, we travel in cars and get little sun due to all the hype of the sun being directly the cause of cancer. i just don't buy that! because i believe the government or the PTB are into population reduction this is just another way to scare people into submission. if we, the people, would read a little more and watch less tv or read the main stream media we, the people, would have a far better chance to survive.

[edit on 6-5-2009 by musselwhite]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
So how come the people in mexico are getting sick with all the sun they get compared to us?

I'm not saying it doesn't help, but i would think having a good balance of vitamins of all types that are good for you causes you to be less likely to get sick.

You should be taking a daily multi vitamin anyway

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

St John's Wort is dangerous to pregnant women or those who have heavy cycle's. If taken on a regular basis or to much is taken it can cause a miscarriage.
Black tea is also good as it has many of the same chemical elements as green tea. If one get's an infection in the mouth they can steep a black tea bag and suck on it for five minutes three times a day.Chamomile tea int he whole flower form is one of the most recomended for people who become ill and it is great to take a bath in after a day in the sun.
Most of the spices you use in dried form should also be used in fresh form when ill added in the last five or so minutes of cooking.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Interesting study, i starred and flagged your post OP, thanks for the information and the links for further study.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by xoxo stacie
reply to post by johnb

St John's Wort is dangerous to pregnant women or those who have heavy cycle's. If taken on a regular basis or to much is taken it can cause a miscarriage.

It's also not recommended if you're taking St John's Wort to expose yourself to the Sun's rays. Shouldn't mix the two.

On Vit D, the best way is by natural methods from the Sun (not tanning beds and pills) and by consuming whole dairy milk (not skim). Too many people have taken milk out of their diet - also losing out on the calcium, and slap on sunscreen to guard off what they've been told is bad for them. Same way Eggs were once "bad", then they changed their minds about it later. Pizza once junk food, later found to be a healthy part of the 4 food groups, but now the 4 food groups has been removed from Nutritional guidelines standards, or will be - so it's back off the list of whoever made up this "list" ... probably oprah or whoever she works for.

Good question about mexico being sunny .... but the death rates there could be due to the genetic make-up of the Spanish race. They're also a third world country and that plays a role.

Anyways interesting study. There's several deseases that can be cured by sun exposure, or infra red rays.
Who knows? No pun intended.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by violet]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Duplicate thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is from april 29.

Sorry.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

i did not realize you had a thread to help people but i should have known 'cause you look 20 deep. thanks FlyersFan, we seem to be on the same plane.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by musselwhite]

new topics

top topics

join