It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Next End of the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Has it occured to anyone of you guys who have been studying 2012 that there is a trend developing. A trend that, by the time of it's arrival, has the entire population scared, freaked out, trying to profit, or wondering how exactly they will die. A trend that establishes a new end of the world or a cataclysmic event a few years after the previous one.

It has been documented in some historical documents (sory for not having the link, I'll look for it and edit when I find it) that at nearly every century turn that the end of the world was supposed to happen. I can't imagine what the hysteria was like when it was 999 and the new millenia was at hand. I woner if they partied like it was 999? The most previous one was no different, though it was supposed to be more of a technological and financial collapse.

Now we have 2012. I know this is a bit different because it is actually a calender that has been around for quite a substantial amount of time and it was formulated by some very smart astronomers. Is it being over-emphasized by the media and fear-mongers?

It is obvious that profitts are already being made off this event, in the form of movies and merchandising. They are sure to increase as the 2012 date approaches.

I think one of the wisest things we could all do is to take a look at the next event that would be strattled with our fears of the end of the world.

Do any of you guys know of a date, other than 2012, that has some historical bearing, that people might believe is the end of the world. Is there a date than can be played on by the government, the media, or both to induce fear and keep this cycle of End-of-the-World events rolling?

If you know of any please post them here. I am going to study this more and try to find some possible dates that could be interpreted this way.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
It has been documented in some historical documents (sory for not having the link, I'll look for it and edit when I find it) that at nearly every century turn that the end of the world was supposed to happen. I can't imagine what the hysteria was like when it was 999 and the new millenia was at hand. I woner if they partied like it was 999? The most previous one was no different, though it was supposed to be more of a technological and financial collapse.

I remember reading something related to this exact subject years ago.

The panic back then was not common, since many people at that time wasn't sure if it was exactly the year 999 or if it was 997 or 1003 or so and the only people who cared were those who followed the 'official' year of Christendom.

Many people were illiterate and/or read only a small newspaper's worth of words in their entire lifetimes, if any, back then. For most of the world today, Literacy is common but even two hundred years ago a lot of people couldn't read.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
What you seem to be referring to is the breakdown of the Mayan calendar. Each period goes 20 times faster. And so far civilization is progressing to that degree.

The guy in the above video breaks out the Mayan Calendar and explains the cycles and the progression of the quickening. We are in the fifth night of the last cycle of the calendar.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
If absolutely nothing happens in 2012 than I will be done with all of this prophetic stuff. I never bought into Y2K, probably because I was too young to really care.

It does seem like impending doom has been on the human mind for a long time. but it sure seems like were headed towards a brick wall at a hundred miles an hour.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The EOTWAWKI has been predicted many many times.

End of the world predicitons in history

The world is such a smaller place now. We are never more then a few hours from even the most remote place on earth, information is available at the tips of our fingers 24 hours per day, everyone is an expert or has an opinion online, and someone somewhere will believe even the most outrageous theories.

Today we all share the anxiety aout 2012, even the non believers, in 999 you might have shared your anxiety with your children or your spouse, that is if you even knew what date it was. Today we are all connected and we all have an opinion.

We will all have an Apocalypse eventually - our own private end of the world - Maybe thinking, writing, discussing, and preparing for a shared apocalypse makes our own inevitable EOTWAWKI easier to accept.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I tend to agree with Merigolds statement about a personal "end". I draw similarities between peoples as a whole and an individual mind. The actions of whole peoples believing an "end" is comming for them all is similar to the need for closure of a period in time, or event, in an individual life. Thus the life of the community and the individual can continue to grow, learn and change. Most individuals should be able to see that we, as a community, have grown,learned, and changed significantly over the past few generations and I believe most individuals able to see this would expect more of the same. What an exciting place the future is, full of uncertainty. Sadly, I believe the mood of the people is frightened because the only thing able to be seen, the present and some of the past, will be left behind when they focus and move toward the future. There we have the "end" so frequently worried about over the centuries, the line between present and future. The "end" of security and stable comfort and the belief that the cold, uncertain, chaotic future is somehow bad for us.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i say bring it on for the end of the world

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Yeah it's nothing new. I bet that in the future say 2999 we will have another one.

Predicitions for the End of the World from 999 to 1600

ARMAGEDDON OUTA HERE--THE END OF THE WORLD

DEC. 31, 999

In the Apocrypha it was prophesied that the world would end in 1,000 years. Fanatics all over Europe believed that the Last Judgment was to be expected at Jerusalem on the last day of 999. Despite official discouragement by the Church, throngs of pilgrims proceeded eastward. Knights, citizens, serfs, and children by the thousands died from starvation on the long journey. Every natural phenomenon was greeted with panic. Thunder sent them to their knees, meteor sightings made them weep and pray in the streets. Many people gave away and pray in the streets.

Many people gave away their property to insure themselves a place in heaven when the end of the world came. On the fateful day, crowds of people left their camps at the foot of biblical Mt. Zion and climbed to the top, where Jesus was supposed to appear. Nothing happened. At the beginning of the next century, families began to return home, only to find that what they had left behind was now in ruins from neglect. Later in the year 1000, barbaric Huns began invasions, famine struck, and plagues killed thousands.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Good thread and timely. A lot of ATSers are still young and don't understand that somewhere in the world, someone is always predicting the end of the world. They always have. It might even be the earliest hoax. They should read any links to see the pattern of prediction, fail, prediction, fail ad infinitum. If there's one thing I'm sure of...when it all comes to an end, the so-called prophets will still get it wrong

220 dates for the end of the world

63 failed & 1 ambiguous end-of-the-world predictions between 30 CE and 1990 CE

15 failed predictions of the end of the world during 2006...JUST IN ONE YEAR

Flagged in the hope that at least one person will buy one less BS book after reading the thread.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

That was a great post. Slayer also had a good post. That was really what I was looking for. I looked in a few places but was unable to find anything like you guys have shown.

It is good to have the numbers and a place to check them out.

I am with you on the fact that a lot of people don't realize just how often the world is supposedly ending.

If you were to take each of the predictions seriously you would have to live your life in complete panic, all of the time, without any break.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
An apocalypse would be a relief for so many people, I think it has it's own level of seduction.
The idea that fate will finally be taken out of your own hands combined with an amount of certainty in regard to the future would be reassuring in it's own strange way.
This idea is echoed in so many ways in contemporary thinking weather it be in regard to international policy, disclosure or the end times. You continually see the message repeated: "If the general public knew about this and that, chaos would ensue."
I kind of feel like a sucker for allowing myself to speculate about what crossing the galactic plane is going to mean for us here on earth.
My confidence in our cosmological understanding was shaken when it seemed that astronomers were shocked about the prolonged solar minimum. If they didn't see that one coming, how would they have any idea what's going to happen when we start crossing through the milky way's no-man's-land?

In any case, anticipation is a powerful thing considering it's inherent level of uncertainty.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 4N6310

If you think it about it too much you will come to a conclusion that I had recently.

What if, on some distant planet, scientist were experimenting with splitting some type of atom or other experiment and inadvertently destroyed the Universe, or some natural phenomena occurs destroying everything

We would be chillin' out here, eating our Cheerios and poof it's all over, just like that. We would never even see it coming.

It seems like it could have happened all ready if there is indeed a slew of other races out there. If not total destruction, then maybe something we could feel or see.

Maybe supernovas that we see far out in space are actually planets blowing themselves up, possibly with some type of high-speed particle collider, hmm

It is a wierd thought to ponder and not really worth wasting too much time on, due to the fact there is absolutely nothing we can do about it - short of divine intervention, or being very, very careful with our own colliders.

That is also why it is hard for me to believe in string theory. It states that there is a timeline for every possible outcome.

What about the timeline where I invent a time-travel machine that warps space/time? I travel to my current time and place and introduce myself, as myself, to myself. If all timelines are possible why isn't that one?

It may prove that time travel isn't possible or warping space/time isn't possible. Who knows?

Either way the Universe could still end at any moment. And when it does, I bet their will be someone, somewhere predicting it just the way it happens.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The end of the world suggestion is made up by misled masses. I am convinced that no man can see the exact future, because it is possible that it can change. The world will not end. I can guarantee that.

Sure, some have visions, and some write prophecy.

I like to say, "I don't believe in armageddon, I belive in apocalypse."

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Yep, me too.
While I don't think the world will come to an end, there does seem to be some evidence...no, there IS evidence that some natural cycles and events are so much bigger than us that we could certainly end our existence(or it could be ended for us) in a number of ways.
While that's all fascinating stuff, I tend not to ponder it too much because if there's nothing we can do about it, what's the point?
Most people are only focused on their own finality despite all of their eco-talk.
What I find more interesting and do spend time considering are things like geomagnetic polar shifts and possible atmospheric phenomena coupled with mysterious energies and matter we either can't detect, have yet to encounter on our journey through space/time or don't understand and what effect those might have, if any, on the world we are used to.
Anyways, there are enough 2012 threads, so.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I would bet, assuming nothing substantial happens in the next 10 years, that 2060 will be the next big date to look for. I read a large amount of information a couple years ago about sir isaac newton's prediction, along with some other junk that pointed toward some not so good technologies we may have around that time (probably nanites and terminator like AI).

I think if anything ever destroys us all, its going to be one of three things.

1. Us. By means of technology dependance or war.
2. Cosmic problem. Comet, planet, sun, whatever.
3. God. I believe there is a God, and it's been a long long time since he's done some good old fashioned smiting.

top topics

join