It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some baby foods less nutritious than a cheeseburger, says report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Some baby foods less nutritious than a cheeseburger, says report

www.guardian.co.uk

Cheeseburgers and chocolate biscuits are more nutritious than some of the most popular baby foods from Britain's leading brands, a report claims.

The food company Heinz comes under fire in the research which found that Farley's rusks – a classic weaning food – contained more sugar than chocolate digestives, while its mini cheese biscuits, aimed at toddlers, contained more saturated fat per 100g than a McDonald's quarter pounder burger with cheese.

The survey by the Children's Food Campaign of 107 foods marketed for consumption by babies and young children – all bought from main
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This claim is being made by The Children's Food Campaign (CFC) which the article states

works to improve children's health and wellbeing through better food, and is supported by more than 300 national and local health organisations and 12,000 members of the public.

The above was quoted from article, so it seems this is true, unfortunately.

I wonder if the same will be found in American products, or products in other European nations.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Isn't that type of stuff suppose to be labeled on the container?

If it is then it is the parents fault for feeding garbage like that to their infants and toddlers.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Thats why I eat cheeseburgers and not baby food. burgers taste better.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Isn't that type of stuff suppose to be labeled on the container?

If it is then it is the parents fault for feeding garbage like that to their infants and toddlers.

Read the responses from the baby food companies. They claim their food is better than what the investigation uncovered. The companies are the ones labeling wrong their food products for children.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
As soon as the word 'Heinz' came into play, I knew that it just has to be true.

Owned by the uber-rich elitists John Kerry and his wife, is it any surprise?

The only way you can know 100% what you are feeding your family, is growing and making it yourself.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Well if they labeled wrong then they are in deep crap.

I think falsely labeling food products is a serious felony isn't it?

This could end in bankruptcy for them. Someone will be fired and/or jail, steep government fines and civil lawsuits from any who give this product to their children.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Something about that disturbs me lol. But in any case, its pretty disturbing the stuff we feed to babies and kids. A lot of kids dont have many veggies basically their whole lives. I read too that the soy formula (which is GM of course) given to babies increases there estrogen levels by like 10,000 or something crazy like that, and some actually show signs of puberty like acne I think is one. The poor boys too, then there's tons of chemicals in the environment that act as estrogen in the body. The assault on their hormone systems seems to be a bit extreme, and you wonder why each generation of men have lower and lower sperm counts.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

My wife and I are having a baby in a few months and already decided to put my kitchen appliences to good use.

I will be making all of my kids baby food.

I hope it likes hamburger helper without the hamburger.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Nothing like good 'ol MSG to kick start a babies' brain activity

I think I read that too in some article, that some baby food has MSG in it. It's pretty bad for adults, but I read kids don't have as strong a blood brain barrier and added to that is the kids brain is growing....not good.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

If I come home from the store with Heinz products the hubby gets mad.

That being said, if the food is labelled in a misleading way the company should be brought to task for it. Complete lying, they should be procescuted.

Babies and young children are the most vulnerable and parents have enough struggles without worrying about the food they buy specifically for babies.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I started making my 11 month old's food a short time ago. I get all organic, local produce and he truly gets some gourmet dishes! And it's all so much cheaper - but time consuming. Luckily, I'm a stay at home mom so I do have the time required to do this. I also will be weaning him off formula now that I came across an article not long ago about perchlorates (rocket fuel) found in all the top-brands of American baby formula. Of course the CDC and the test study wouldn't disclose exactly which formulas contain these nasty chemicals so my husband and I are taking the safe route and not giving him formula any longer. I'll begin supplementing his meals with goats milk. We live in PA Dutch Country so thankfully there is no lack of clean and fresh food here!

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Get a food mill; make your own. Its cheaper..easier..more nutritious..and tastes better.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

You said :
Well if they labeled wrong then they are in deep crap.

We are all in deep crap !

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Something I have always wondered along these lines:

It has been all but proven that processed foods can be linked to cancer, heart disease, obesity, diabetes and possibly alzheimer's.

Why exactly is it advocated that we feed processed foods to our children?

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

The reason it is so, is because the media presented it as such. They created the notion in the minds of overworked parents that this 'convenient' food from you grocer is BETTER for your baby.

commerce is their goal. Your health and that of your off-spring is simply a convenient opportunity for those who mass produce industrial food stuffs for distribution.

new topics

top topics

join