It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four views of Revelation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
With all the discussions here on ATS about the Antichrist, I was interested to discover an article about the Book of Revelation on the Plain Truth site. Reading it, I discovered that my opinion on Revelation as being a book of future prophecy was just one of a possible four interpretations.
Four views of Revelation

Preterist : Most prophecies in the book of Revelation were fulfilled during the time of the Roman empire. (I think that this is the belief structure that stated that Nero was the Antichrist).

Historicist : The prophecies have been fulfilled throughout history and are still being fulfilled today

Futurist : Most prophecies beyond Revelation 3 are yet to be fulfilled.
(This includes the Rapture, although as far as I know there is no mention of it in the Bible).

Spiritual (or Symbolic or Idealist) : Most prophecies portray the ongoing cosmic conflict of spiritual realities and may have many fulfillments throughout history.

I wonder which one is true. Assuming, of course, that any of the interpretations are correct.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Ok, I want to know where your opinions are on the book or revelations. In other words, do you believe it to be prophecy? Do you think it was already fulfilled? What is your take on it?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I believe that Revelation, as well as the Norse myth of Ragnarok are talking about the same thing. An ending of the current world system and a rebirth of another.
I am of the 'Futurist' camp in that I believe that the happenings in Revelation are yet to occur.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Pisky have you read the Left Behind series?
it agrees with you that things will happen in the future, as I also believe they will.
The thing is they place all the happenings of revelations in the current times, saying that some year near here, that could include most any time from 1998-2010 as most things about technology and such are put in nowadays.
they are pretty cool, i suggest you check them out

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I have heard of them. I'll have to give them a go.
One question though, Aldsar - what is your opinion of the Rapture. I read somewhere that if all the Christians have already been taken away, what's the point of them being given the prophecies.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
i take the rapture for what Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 15:51-52 "Listen I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep but we will all be changed- 52 in a flash, in a twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the last trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable an we will be changed."
i think that this means that one day a trumpet will sound and all believers will be taken up to heaven and all dead believers spirits will also go to heaven.
i dont believe this has happened yet as i believe all of the prophecies to be literally what will happen and this would not go unnoticed in history if it had already happened.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by aldsar
i take the rapture for what Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 15:51-52 "Listen I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep but we will all be changed- 52 in a flash, in a twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the last trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable an we will be changed."

It seems to me that Paul is saying that all believers will be changed, with the comment about the dead being raised imperishable implying that this 'change' is immortality. I can't see anything here about being taken to heaven. Of course it could imply that earth itself becomes 'Heaven on earth'.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   

i think that this means that one day a trumpet will sound and all believers will be taken up to heaven and all dead believers spirits will also go to heaven.
i dont believe this has happened yet as i believe all of the prophecies to be literally what will happen and this would not go unnoticed in history if it had already happened.

Remember that you are interpreting this. You feel that this is what will literally happen. The problem is that I could come up with a different opinion on what it means. So whos literal interpretation is right?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
i guess we'll all find out when it happens then.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

i guess we'll all find out when it happens then.

Unless of course it doesnt happen, then we will all just be waiting until the earth plunges into the sun.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
doesnt matter, you and i will be long dead before that happens

top topics

join